"The Velvet Underground": Speculative 3rd LP 45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Amazon sent me two by mistake so my son gets the extra freebie for Christmas. :)

[​IMG]

2. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

the Rolling Stone article linked by Dee Thomaz mentions a mono mix having "come out, but they don't say when -- it's ambiguous as to whether they just mean the Sundazed. Anyway, I thought that when Sundazed put out their box, they had to explain the mono mix of the 3rd album as having come from some promo-only source, sort of a fold-down plus sweetening. Many here were skeptical that it wasn't just Sundazed who were doing the fold-down. Maybe they got a copy of your tape!

3. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

! Unlikely as the 3rd on it was bad quality, pretty muffled. When I first played the 2 tapes I remember thinking it was weird that the bootleg live stuff sounded great, hissy but full, and thinking why has someone put copies of studio stuff on bootleg tapes ? (on the first tape was the mono VU & Nico, but only side 1!). I only even noticed they were mono by fluke because it was around the time I had bought my first ever pair of OK headphones, so was spending a lot of time listening to stuff on them as opposed to the terrible "kids' hifi" speakers I had at that time.

The tape with 3rd mono on it looked like a tape that had been for sale at some point, as it had a typical b&w photocopied band photo cover as bootleg tapes usually had at that time, in England at places like Camden Market or Portobello Market.

So who knows what they were, could have been goldmine stuff, could have been crap or just doctored copies of 1969: Live LP material ? Why would someone bother adding say, reverb and looping already released live tracks though ? Especially as I guess it would have been tricky to do in the pre-home computer age. Anyway, who knows.

4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Having read a BBC News article a while back about working for amazon, I'd guess someone gets fired for that :(

dlemaudit and raphph like this.
  5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Sound intriguing.

Sterling Morrison had acetates of Jesus, I'm Set Free, Beginning and After Hours which sound mono to me. The version of Beginning on the acetate has very different sounding vocals at the end. There was also a mono single of What Goes On and Jesus. I wonder if these were on your tape?

Or the tapes could likely have been sourced from the VUAS collections, in which case you might have had a copy of Tape #1 which features 'alt' mixes of 3rd (except Murder Mystery) and are therefore going to be from Val Valentin version which was impossible to hear at the time. Who knows if that tape was made in stereo or mono?

There's a 'guitar-screaming What Goes On' that is from the Live at la Cave, 1968 gig and is on VUAS Tape #5. Not sure if you mean this 'cos it's mono and not 9+ minutes but the guitar screams as in screams. It's on the PSAS boxset, so easy to verify. I guess it could be one of the later ones that were increasingly extended in duration but they no longer had that insane guitar sound then and Yule's organ was featured.

6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I know Amazon can be a PITA at times, but I'd be inclined to contact them with a view to returning the duplicate item. It's not cool, IMO, to keep something sent to one in error.

7. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

Amazon is a faceless corporation. I say keep it. You're more likely to expose an employee's error by returning it than you are by keeping it.

cc--, JimC, mw1917 and 5 others like this.
  8. darling

darling Senior Member

The liner notes quote a catalog number and contemporary release date for the mono version. They aren't in front of me, so this post isn't particularly helpful.

Aghast of Ithaca likes this.
  9. stepeanut

So, it's not stealing?

10. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Maybe get a refund for the extra one - it's a wash. That's what I'd do. What are you going to do with 6 copies of the 3rd album?

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

They won't notice. They make billions a day. An 80 CD/book won't matter to them (both formats are dead anyway). Hell, I tried to return a CD once they refunded me and told me to keep the CD. They don't care. This is small stuff to them. They've got $1000 TVs to sell. Enjoy your free gift from Amazon.

JimC likes this.
  12. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i thought the mono mix was actually a stereo fold down.....i bought the box mainly for the remixed "4th" album and the two live discs......

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  13. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

whether or not they won't notice or not kind of misses the point.not saying i would return it per say but at least i would consider such action......not just be so glib etc.......

14. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

the copy i ordered just shipped from GB it will shipped via ship i am sure but under $60........new!

15. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

March 1969, MGM E 4617

16. stepeanut

It's not stealing, then, as long as they don't notice? Thanks for clarifying. I'll try that one in Tesco on my way home.

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

They mailed it to you. You didn't physically take it. If it were some poor slob on eBay then yeah, sure...return it. But I don't think you should feel guilt over something like what Amazon has done. But I guess that's just me. I'm a criminal. I'm about to loot a Wallgreens. Hands up don't shoot.

elvissinatra, JimC and dynamicalories like this.
  18. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

You only need to need to read about the tactics that Amazon uses to negotiate with book publishers to get some relief from the terrible feeling of guilt of having received a free copy of this boxset.

Hep Alien, mr.datsun, zobalob and 4 others like this.
  19. upsetter

upsetter New Member

According to this MGM discography, The Velvet Underground was the first MGM album to only be issued in stereo. So there may have been a mono mix prepared?
    http://www.bsnpubs.com/mgm/mgm46014800.html

20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

It is, but one that was subjected to further tweaking. Whether or not fans think that the results are worthwhile in their own right is a matter of personal taste. But here's what Sundazed said about it on Facebook when their vinyl box was announced (thanks to Marry A Carrot for assembling these quotes earlier in this thread):

"The mono master for the 3rd album was created from the stereo master, but was NOT a typical fold-down. It's a unique and essential listen."

"No, because in theory, it IS a fold-down. But not a simple matter of collapsing left and right. Work was done to make the mono a bit different sounding, and more radio-friendly."

"The mono was issued to radio stations upon release..."

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  21. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Not sure they really succeeded ! :D

DeeThomaz likes this.
  22. dynamicalories

Nope. Not in any way shape or form.

JimC likes this.
  23. dynamicalories

Or read up on Gawker's continuing coverage of how they treat their employees.

JimC, Barry Vaughan and mw1917 like this.
  24. Supafly

Supafly Forum Resident

So maybe I missed it but will any of the live material be released on vinyl?

25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

There haven't been any announcements yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.