The Velvet Underground - White Light White Heat 45th Anniversary Deluxe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

2. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

No amount of mastering is ever going to improve the sound quality of this wonderful album. Vinyl, of course, is the only way to go to fully experience that nasty sound we all know and love (although the 8-track tape came close :cool: ).

RockNRod likes this.
  3. bettsaj

I suppose what I meant about the mastering is, was this LP mastered and cut from digital files, or was it all analogue? I bought what i thought was a remaster last year only to find it was cut from the CD (Vinyl Lovers Release) so am looking at getting this pressing as an improvement on that crappy release. You're right, This album and the Warhol album are both wonderful landmark albums. I like the stereo mix of this album specifically because you can take the music out completely on The Gift and just hear John Cales story being told. Brilliant stuff.

4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think can say with some confidence that this will be another digital cut same as the last 45th anniversary 2xLP. Hasn't 45th come and gone? Surely this is 50th.

It may be a new cut, though.

5. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

My mono UK original, fairly trashed but solid.

That's the best format!

6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

And unobtainable by normal human beings. :)
    Having said that I prefer the stereo, although Lady Godiva is interesting in the mono mix.

7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I hope you like this. Another option is to augment it with a 1985 pressing. That was analogue and well-respected.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  8. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Ah, I was lucky, got it for fairly cheap.

These days,...

I was going to point yz at discogs page for it but even they haven't got one.

mr.datsun likes this.
  9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm surprised you got one at all :)

10. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

It was the early days of e-bay, This and a Banana LP (different sale), back then it was a buyers market as there weren't many users and I don't think "notifications" had been invented, so you'd have to keep trying..

I'd tell you how much they cost, but you'd cry.

11. bettsaj

I used to have a mid 80's version... The one with the toy soldier cover..... Sold it years ago, so now replacing all the vinyl I sold.... Always hated that cover though

[​IMG]

12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes, that was the Uk 70s cover on MGM gold and blue. It was a good pressing in the 70s and I think the cover (which I like) was maybe still in use through to the early 80s when you got it. But when they did the mid-80s VU re-issue program they went back to black. That is generally 1985 and 1986. There are pressings from US, UK, Germany, Holland, for example. I have the Dutch, the German and the USA one. Worth finding one. The copies I am talking about are on Polydor/Verve.

I think this is the UK mid-80s one I mean, although they have not dated it on Discsucks:

The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat

13. bettsaj

mr.datsun likes this.
  14. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Did anyone ever actually listen and compare the blue vinyl edition to other versions?
    If so, what's the verdict?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.