The Velvet Underground's lost 1969 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MHP, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll Thread Starter

What are the opinions on these recordings?
    Sure enough, not all 14 tracks would have made the cut and while some of the tracks indeed had classic potential, it has always amazed me that they only salvaged Rock And Roll, Ocean and I'm Sticking With You for Loaded and in the end only kept the first one. What happend?
    Also, Doug Yule and Sterling Morrison has also mentioned that the songs were only work-tapes and not real recordings for an album. Do we believe in that?

It should be noted, that the ultimate presentation of these tracks, were on the 45th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of the third album.

Tracks:

01 Foggy Notion (original 1969 mix)
    02 One of These Days (2014 mix)
    03 Lisa Says (2014 mix)
    04 I'm Sticking With You (original 1969 mix)
    05 Andy's Chest (original 1969 mix)
    06 Coney's Island Steeplechase (2014 mix)
    07 Ocean (original 1969 mix)
    08 I Can't Stand It (2014 mix)
    09 She's My Best Friend (original 1969 mix)
    10 We're Gonna Have a Real Good Time Together (2014 mix)
    11 I'm Gonna Move Right In (original 1969 mix)
    12 Ferryboat Bill (original 1969 mix)
    13 Rock & Roll (original 1969 mix)
    14 Ride Into the Sun (2014 mix)

2. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Great stuff.

vonwegen, Guy E and Fullbug like this.
  3. MHP

Indeed :)

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I enjoy the Sundazed LP from their VU box:

[​IMG]

5. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Don't forget the fourth album was called Loaded because, Lou said, it was "loaded with hits."

Lou desperately wanted some mainstream success for the band. I'm sure he felt the tracks you listed didn't have that potential. "Foggy Notion" is incredibly catchy, but the lyrics would have kept it off the radio.

That said, I'm surprised "We're Gonna Have A Real Good Time Together" didn't show up on Loaded in place of one of the weaker tracks.

Crimson Witch and Fullbug like this.
  6. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

my understanding is the the record company was the one desperate for hits and lou named the recorded "loaded" as a sort of screw you to the suits per say.

7. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Lisa Says is a masterpiece.

Real Good Time Together is from a brief period where Lou was trying to write a super commercial radio hit, or at least Lou's idea of a radio hit, according to Richie's book. I'll see if I can find the quote and report back.

8. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I think they're nearly all great songs, on par with the rest of the catalogue. But by "ultimate presentation," do you mean "best"? I don't know, surely I'm biased, but I don't think the '80s VU album has been improved upon. -- including the sequence (I realize it contains, what, 2? songs from an earlier session).

9. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I have no clue what the chances for success would have been with this material..I know I love listening to it!

Crimson Witch likes this.
  10. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

It's as essential as everything else VU recorded. Light years beyond what everybody else was doing. Unbelievable that it was buried for so long.

Fullbug, Crimson Witch, AJK74 and 6 others like this.
  11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

This disc was the highlight of the 45th sets, I think. Though, the Matrix tracks held that position until the announcement of the 4CD set. This disc improves greatly upon those 80s mixes, imo. I've never tried to put together an album from it as I'd hate to leave anything off.

Crimson Witch and DeeThomaz like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I Love VU.
    A double.album including Another View would be neat. Those eighties albums are up there with Loaded.

13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Is this the running order? Because I would always put "I'm Sticking With You" at the end of any VU comp tapes or CDs I made.

Natural E, mfp and alexpop like this.
  14. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

These tracks were given to MGM to fulfill their contract in terms of masters delivered. They seemed wary of reusing the songs for Atlantic, recording a few but releasing only Rock and Roll. I don't know the specifics of the Velvets' MGM contract in terms of a re-recording clause. Of course, Lou recut songs for his debut on RCA and later that he'd cut for both MGM and Atlantic with the Velvets.

vonwegen and GetHappy!! like this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That was the big let down in the Sundazed box, they should have included ALL tracks from "VU" and "Another View" instead of limiting themselves to "1969".
    I think it was actually beneficial that these tracks "vanished" for almost one decade and a half because this way they could kickstart a whole VU renaissance. Plus it was like a gift from God to finally have a treasure trove of "new" VU recordings.

16. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Yes, agreed. That they're still finding , not only "new," but great, VU stuff is wonderful. For a band that was not considered very popular or successful at the time, there's so much out there. Every live performance of every song can be a revelation and we know there's still a bunch of unreleased live material floating around.

vonwegen and DeeThomaz like this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What does the "69" ( horrid title ) sound like in comparison with the eighties albums (VU/AV)?

18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You mean sonically or conceptually? I'll leave the sonics to the wave form people (;)) and talk about the sequencing instead: "1969" has a nice flow and good sequence. But (and that is a big BUT) it leaves out so many essential tracks.

This is why I would have preferred it if they simply had included "VU" and "Another View" instead of trying to recreate an album that never was. Or at least added another disc collecting the 1967/8 stuff. The box feels incomplete without it. Even Nico's great debut album can't make up for it.

mfp likes this.
  19. MHP

The running order I posted, is the one they use on the 4th disc of the 45th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of the 3rd album.
    It's actually using the same running order as the one they used on the highlights disc, "1969", on the Sundazed box, but with the missing tracks squeezed in between, here and there.

You never knew with Velvets, because sometimes they did indeed make some strange choices, but light tracks like Ferryboat Bill and Coney Island Steeplechase would very likely not have made the cut. Also, Ride Into The Sun and I'm Gonna Move Right In were obviously not finished. Rock And Roll, how great it may be in this version, was re-cut and perfected on Loaded.

Let's imagine that the Velvets had owed MGM one more album that the company had demanded released in the wake of Loaded and before Lou's debut album. Lou would go in and lay down a finished vocal track for Ride Into The Sun.
    It could have looked like this:

Side 1:

I Can't Stand It
    One Of These Days
    She's My Best Friend
    Ride Into The Sun
    Ocean

Side 2:

We're Gonna Have A Real Good Time Together
    Foggy Notion
    Lisa Says
    Andy's Chest
    I'm Sticking With You

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Just as it stands, with the recordings we currently have, that is a fantastic album and for me far far superior to Loaded (which only has two classics, two ok songs and a load of sub par material for me).

mr.datsun, erikdavid5000 and SteveM like this.
  21. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

I'm sorry for a possibly dumb question, but what mixes does the '1969' LP use? The 'VU' and 'Another View'-mixes?

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Basically agree. The 1985 LP "V.U." is far superior to "Loaded" in any version, expanded or otherwise.

23. MHP

For me, 'Loaded' is in many ways their best album. Not in terms of innovation or originality, but as a straight-forward rock 'n' roll album, it's hard to beat. It's also ome of those albums which has a certain 'warm' aura to these ears. To each their own, I guess. Side 1 is perfect from beginning to end. Side 2 has a throwaway ('Bill') and a subpar rock track ('Train'), but even those tracks has a certain feel to them. I agree though, that Maureen's drums are sorely missed all the way through the album.

The Sundazed '1969', used the 80's mixes. The bonus disc from last year, used a combination of original mixes (released and unreleased) and new superior 2014 mixes to those made in the 80's, which meant much less reverb.

24. dee

dee Senior Member

I'm curious what a comprehensive list of all the potential tracks (and mixes) for both the "lost album" is plus all that wasn't included on Loaded would be or look like. I assume it would be everything included on V.U./Another View/Reloaded/The 3rd Album Box Set? Plus Satellite of Love from PSAS?

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

It is, no doubt, but the fact that Moe couldn't be a part of it will always be the asterisk that sets it a little lower than the others for me. They did a great job without her, worthy of their name, but I can't be objective, just can't call it their best without Moe. Hard to rank 'em anyway, for me, they never made a bad record.

Fullbug and Hep Alien like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.