"The Venture Bros." Ongoing Discussion (The Thread of Calamitous Intent)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vince, May 29, 2008.

1. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I just wish Cartoon Network would broadcast the episodes uncensored but that's not going to happen. I liked the episode picked up right where Season 4 ended. And the series has been green lighted for seasons 5 and 6.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I was pretty disappointed with last year's Halloween special, so I was worried that maybe they'd lost their edge after all this time, but I was pleasantly relieved by the strong quality of the new hour long premiere. There were plenty of classic Venture Brothers references here and I particularly enjoyed seeing Dean take over the Dome kingdom via an "Indian" fighting match. My biggest belly laugh came when the Monarch was going for a little Game of Thrones-style role playing only to have Dr. Girlfriend misunderstand it as some kind of Rocky fantasy. I loved it when one of her little henchmen comes into the bedroom dressed up as Burgess Meredith declaring, "You're a bum, Rocky!"

Hard Panner likes this.
  4. Ken_McAlinden

Second episode was also a winner. They must have had a blast designing all of the freaks. The visual gags/cameos were DVR pauseworthy as usual. The fact that they worked a human centipede onto the boat arriving at the island made me smile while suppressing a gag reflex. You don't get that from every show.

5. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

1st episode is a free HD download on iTunes. Good 2nd episode, many call backs to previous episodes, still hoping to see a return of Dr. Henry Killinger this season.

6. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Thought it was a great episode, but felt it would have been better in the middle of the season, instead of being the 2nd one (well, if you don't count the Halloween ep).

7. Ken_McAlinden

The highlight for me was Sgt. Hatred having his reflective moment after revealing his "Super-Soldier" origin via a nightmare, deciding to stay on the island with his fellow freaks, and, seconds later when things get dicey, reversing with a "Let's get the %$^& out of here!".

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

I kinda thought they were about to 'write him out'; he wasn't around the compound in the 'post-credits' scene. I'm sure we'll find out.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I like the "troubled/tortured/emo" version of Dean Venture, who I think is hilarious (bad goatee and all). I can't wait for the inevitable reveal when he confronts Dr. Venture about the clone issue...

I had to stop the machine when I fell down laughing at the appearance of "Turu," the pteranodon from Jonny Quest about 50 years ago! And they even kept the name the same, which was really hilarious. There were a lot of very funny in-jokes throughout the show, up to and including the robot spider (also seen in previous episodes), which was a spybot used by the Quest's enemy Dr. Zin. The iPad jokes had me on the floor as well.

This is a really funny, very wicked show, but moreso if you were actually there in the 1960s to see the old show.

10. Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai Forum Resident

The longer the show goes the more I think Hank and Dean are going to turn out fine and not complete failures. Hank has shown at times he has more than just a few of Brock's skills and Dean might just make a competent scientist, after being dragged through hell last season.

11. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

And it's criminal that this show did not show up Writer's Guilds best written shows list.

12. bundee1

bundee1 Forum Resident

Ha! No wonder; a cleverly disguised front perhaps?

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Writers with Criminal Intent kept it off the WGA list!

14. Ken_McAlinden

The WGA is clearly a front for the WGCA: Writers Guild of Calimitous Intent. ;)

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

Well, I'm gonna have to give this latest episode a 'meh':
    maybe I just don't like seeing Gary (21) failing.... he doesn't seem to have that 'buff' look he had last season.
    HOWEVER, they kept their 'music-geek' base alive, with that scene where The Monarch makes a reference to "Kyoto Song" by The Cure!

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I thought the show was hilarious, and I had to keep hitting the pause button so our laughter didn't cover up the best lines!

I'm still waiting for the moment when Dean spills the beans about the clones...

17. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

"O.S.I. Love You" best episode of the season so far.

Vidiot likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It was very good. I fell down laughing during the discussion of the boys wanting to wear their Halloween costumes after the holiday when they were little, and Dean says something like, "at least if Hank wears his Batman costume and jumps off the roof, this time he'll stay dead" <or words to that effect>, and they just let the line pass. I was screamin'!

Good show. Some of the animation is real cheap, but the overall design is good, and the writing and voice work has never been better.

19. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I believe this Sunday's episode is the last for the 1st half of the 2013 season. I hate Cartoon Network(and others) for splitting the season in half.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, you just killed me with this news! That's awful. :cry:

I'm going to don my Batman suit and jump off the roof in protest...

Hard Panner and charlie W like this.
  21. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Sorry about that. Take a deep breath. The episodes are available on iTunes(season premiere What Color Is Your Cleansuit is a freebie), Sony Playstation network and others. I'm using old reliable 20th century technology to get me through-all captured on my VHS vcr.

22. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

23. Ken_McAlinden

24. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Jim Rash as Dr. Venture in the live-action movie version!

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You mean as Rusty Venture? I thought they had picked Ron Howard for that role!