The Very Best of Christopher Cross

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tin Whisker, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FallsCity48

FallsCity48 Forum Resident

Sorry off topic of the thread but........ Christopher Cross (the singer) was the original owner of the 1959 Gibson Les Paul Tobacco Sunburst ("Hot 'Lanta") obtained by Duane Allman in late June 1971.

gotblues and ARK like this.
  2. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Well just to clarify, I'm not saying that there is definitely a speed issue here...but I did think the speed was a drop different from the U.S. Very Best Of comp, but that doesn't mean that it's technically too slow on Cross Words either...both could be correct speeds?

I suggest you pick up the U.S. Very Best Of Rhino CD...I got mine from my local B&N store for only $4.99. Once you hear this, you will know exactly what I am referring to...the audio just sounds better IMO...more normal and the tone is more correct also. I didn't mean to say that Cross Words needs to be brighter, but in comparison to the U.S. Very Best Of, it does sound a little flatter and lifeless, but you would only pick up on that if you owned The Very Best Of CD as well. Cross Words does sound fine in its own right, but once you hear The Very Best Of, I think the audio differences will be obvious.

Also, Swept Away (Remix) on the Very Best Of is superior to the original version on Cross Words...it sounds stellar on the U.S. CD and they corrected the instrumentation for the remix....it's worth the $4.99 alone just to own this version.

3. Futurecity

OK, so I wasn't the only one apparently who had to pry the CD tray off in order to get at disc 2, yeah, what's up with that...no flip tray...they just trap disc 2 underneath with no way to get at it??

Do you own the 2002 U.S. Very Best Of comp? I ask because the three Another Page tracks on it sound stellar...perfectly normal and nicely remastered. On the other hand, I thought that all of the Another Page tracks sounded a bit murky on the import Cross Words comp, and I thought No Time For Talk was the worst sounding track on disc 1, so if you think they sound very good on Cross Words...I suggest you listen to them on The Very Best CD...the difference is night and day IMO.

At this point, I would pay money for newly remastered versions of his debut album and Another Page, but sadly it's just not happening yet.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm a little puzzled at the comments on the jewel case. There is more than one style of 2cd slimline case. Some hinge on the left, some on the right. This one hinges on the left. If you're holding the jewel box in your hands with it open, all you do is turn your right palm inward and it neatly opens giving you access to the second disc. I guess if you were expecting it to hinge on the right and tried to force it open that way, I could see how you'd break it. I don't have any problems with this type of case and I'm sure I've got other 2cd sets that use the same style.

Also, this set doesn't have just nearly the whole album "Another Page" - it has the actual entire thing. All 10 tracks (or all 11 if you consider "Athur's Theme" part of that album) are on this set, though spread over two discs.

RoyalScam likes this.
  5. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

There is a remaster of the debut, it appeared on HDTracks recently. Sounds fantastic.

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, I own about 3,000 CDs including many double disc sets, and some that appear designed like this, but darn if I could get it to open! Agreed about Arthur's Theme...it should have been part of Another Page and certainly fits right in. Nice that they included all the tracks as the album was curiously never reissued. I still have the original target issue amd remember it being one of the early pop releases Warners issued when CDs first came out. Was excited to get it! I played that album to death, so much so that it is still hard to listen to it now as I simply over played it. I understand he was very, very difficult to work with in the studio after his big success with his debut, which may explain why the album didn't do that well, though I certainly loved it. A friend of mine was pals with Michael Omartian, Chris' producer.

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes, I have the other compilation and being it was a Rhino release, I wouldn't be surprised if it sounds better. I haven't had a chance yet to listen to the new one critically yet, though I don't really care for CDs in general...I have always been a vinyl guy and his first two albums sound great on vinyl. I got this new CD mainly out of convenience and the accolades here, and for the very generous track list. I did buy all his albums new back in the day but after Another Page his albums got very inconsistent to say the least, though there were a couple very strong songs on each so this was a good way of getting those. I love Swept Away...don't remember if it's on this new comp. Too bad the public moved on quickly after his debut. If anyone hasn't heard one of his later albums called Window (90's I think) it is very good. Don't know if you can still get it, and it was not issued on a mainstream label, but he hadn't recorded in a while and clearly he had the time to come up,with some good material again. The song Window is as good as any of his hits imo, and would have surely been a top five hit had it come out in the 80's.

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Nice to see you mention Swept Away. As I mentioned above, I love that song and it's nice to see someone else noticed it as well!

9. Futurecity

Yes, I only recently discovered Swept Away after I bought the 2002 U.S. Very Best Of comp...and the remix is fantastic, to me this song reminds me of Sailing...I instantly loved it. The Cross Words 2CD import comp has the original version of Swept Away, not the remix.

10. Futurecity

If you are able to open it please let me know...I just couldn't figure it out either :)

11. Futurecity

I don't think I've heard his Window album, but is the song Window as good and catchy as lets say Swept Away is? I'm glad you have the Rhino Very Best Of comp also...try and throw it on soon and I'm sure the stellar SQ will immediately hit you and you'll realize that Cross Words doesn't quite sound the same.

12. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Just tried mine. Normal hinge on the left, to open outer case, and then hinge on right, lift inner tray up (easy!), to access disc 2 - which had dropped out in transit! This is the 2011, Rhino / Music Club / Demon release, Cross Words, The Best Of.

Don't know if they have changed the case design, but this was actually one of the easier 2 CD cases to open - just wish that the bottom centre hub was better!

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

has anyone heard cross's most recent release "secret ladder"?

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Window is indeed as good as Swept Away, and the album is certainly better than the album Swept Away was on. It isn't good all the way through, but it has enough good stuff to recommend a buy if not too expensive. Window is a duet, but I don't recall who it was done with. Would also love to hear from anyone who may have heard his new album!

Futurecity likes this.
  15. Futurecity

Maybe they did change the jewel case...I just tried again and the CD tray just won't lift up...not from the right side or left...it's locked in tight and I need to literally pull it off in order to get to disc 2. Jrr also experienced the same thing, so I don't know what the deal is here, but our cases are not easy at all to get to disc 2.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They are clearly defective, like it is locked down. If two grown men can't figure it out I think it's on the mfg! At least they were very cheap, so no worries.

17. Futurecity

OK, I guess you had no luck either getting it opened, so both of us can't be wrong here...but yeah, the CD jewel case that was sent to us is ridiculous,,,never received one of these before.

18. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Has anyone bought the Friday music vinyl release of the first album ? If so how does it sound ?

19. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I have the first two CC albums on vinyl. I bought them both when they came out. I also saw America open for him August 21, 1981 at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland. I loved America and I thought, what the heck. I can honestly say I was there more to see them. Amazing, 36 years ago. Man, his first album was huge and the concert was pretty good considering he only had a single album.

20. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

In 1998 America opened for him too. My buddy asked of I wanted to go see America, he had no interest in CC.

After the concert he was so impressed with CC and said he enjoyed more than America.

Todd W. likes this.
  21. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Which album has Swimming Theme?

Also - any good source for CC's single edits on CD?

22. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

nlgbbbblth likes this.
  23. Tiger-Eyes

Tiger-Eyes New Member

The Cafe Carlyle Sessions (acoustic live) CD. 'Never be the same + Arthur's theme' gonna play in a few minutes on my Grados.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.