The very LEAST frequently covered Beatles songs, and examples of covers of them.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rooster_Ties, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

It's not great, I agree, but I bought the single anyway, just for the curio value of it. One day I'm going to compile an all-cover version of the White Album …

2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Another seldom-covered Beatles tune, "She Said, She Said," was done by a group called Rainbow Canyon in 1969 or so, on Capitol no less.

With the original being as great as it was, why would anyone ever do this? Their version was terrible!

3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Ambrosia's version of "Magical Mystery Tour," from the movie All This and World War II, barely grazed the Top 40 (#39) but did get some airplay.

And just to change my tune, I actually liked this cover!

4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Let me know when you find a version of "Wild Honey Pie"!

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

When it comes to these lesser-known cover versions, I find all of them to be pretty interesting, regardless of how good or bad they are on some abstract scale of value. If I saw the Rainbow Canyon's 45 of "She Said She Said" in the used 45 bin of a record store, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

6. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Barbra Streisand did a cover of "Honey Pie" (but definitely not made from Wild Honey...)

7. V/A - You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
    [b-side to "Tommy In Seven Minutes, a V/A-45 by a cast of 12 punk bands]

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

YES!

Where did I get the girl singer? Heh. :help:

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

They also covered "Rain" on that album.

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

But they were the Sunshine Company. :confused:

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Well it has the line "shine....the weather's fine" :)

12. mfp

mfp Senior Member

The Black Keys did it too.

The Pixies did Wild Honey Pie!

There's even a Belgium band (can't remember the name right now) that did Bungalow Bill. :)

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I vaguely knew that. "Wild Honey Pie" and "Revolution No. 9" are the two real tough ones on the White Album. There aren't a million versions of songs like "Savoy Truffle" or "Why Don't We Do It in the Road" out there, either, but I'm pretty sure that every song on the White Album has been covered by someone.

14. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The Grateful Dead performed "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" a few times in mid-80's.

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Hey, my least favorite band covered my least favorite Beatles song! :biglaugh:

16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

7 times between 1984-1986. My favorite is the one from 4/7/85, which opened the show, then veered into a killer "Mississippi Half-step Uptown Toodle-oo". :righton: Unfortunately, Jerry's voice was completely shot during this period. He sounds like he just gargled with a bottle of Draino. Things improved by 1986 or so...

17. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm not sure if it was released as a single or was just an album track.

But if the 8-track will do you, here you go!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAINBOW-CANYON-...163249418QQihZ016QQcategoryZ618QQcmdZViewItem

18. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

I love Fats Domino's version of "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey." It's on one of those Reprise Loss Leaders and maybe on an album, too.

Anyone cover "Glass Onion" or "Julia"? I bet those are on the rare side. Too personal.

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

There was a compilation of Atlantic soul and jazz covers of Beatles songs titled Glass Onion a few years back, so I'm assuming that one of the covers on that album was "Glass Onion," though it may obviously have been an instrumental.

21. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

:eek: :wtf:

22. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

23. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I have a copy of Melanie doing "Rocky Raccoon" (she also does "The Long and Winding Road", "We Can Work It Out" and, best of all, "Any Time At All").

24. edised

edised Forum Resident

Not quite Beatles, but there is a brilliant cover of Paul McCartney's "Ram On" by They might be Giants...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.