The VHS Revival Culture

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by paulisdead, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous Thread Starter

Neither have I, but that's because it was cut in Australia. :rolleyes:

2. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous Thread Starter

At a video store in Melbourne called Video Busters (which is still there!!!), there used to be all kinds of weird arty things taped onto the end of their video tapes. I wish I could have bought some when they got rid of their VHS stock.

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It was actually a mainstream Hollywood film (Revenge with Kevin Costner) but where the tape began was a really graphic sex scene.

4. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yep it sure can be buddy :)

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

VHS movie are like 3 for $1 at my Goodwill.

I've picked up several because their so cheap.

If I don't like them I just re-donate them back.

6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I see a fair number of people doing that and have done it more than once myself. I'm surprised it hasn't caught on more with the younger crowd.

Many movies aren't made any better by watching them on DVD or Blu-ray. VHS is sufficient.

Some low-budget films actually look BETTER on VHS because higher resolution exposes the flaws in the special effects.

ParloFax likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So you really think VHS is superior to Blu-ray because it's analog?

8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I dont wanna make anyone mad here,the staff might lock this thread for becoming HOT and then ppl might be mad at me..........

Im sorry for posting what I like best.....

9. Forget the quality, I chucked the term "beta video" into eBay just to see if anybody had any blanks for sale. There weren't many blanks but there were plenty of movies on Beta and almost all of them had pretty cool looking covers. Likewise, I've been thinking of making up some covers just to have some cool looking cases of TV shows on VHS (just the caes, there's no real point to making the tapes). But I've got no room for stuff like that. So that's the end of that before it even begins.

10. DreadPikathulhu

They've almost totally abandoned making interesting artwork for movies. Even the artwork on streaming sites is generic and boring. You'd think they would want to catch people's eye.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Everytime this thread pops up, I think "there is no such thing as VHS revival culture". There can't be. There's no reason for there to be. I just refuse to believe it. I'm sure some people still watch them and some might like to play with them or collect them just because they are old, but there can't be anyone who really thinks VHS should make a comeback. That's be like pining for a return of cassette tapes as the medium for music delivery. It's nonsense.

12. DreadPikathulhu

I don't think anyone in this discussion has said that VHS should make a comeback, but there are plenty of examples of stuff that is only available on VHS.

There are a handful of examples of new titles released on VHS in recent years. I can think of three, and two of them are documentaries about VHS.

If you don't care about picture quality or aspect ratios, it's also a good way to cheaply watch pre-2000 movies. Titles are abundant in thrift stores for about $1 each.

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just watched 'Rewind This' on Hulu.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.