The virgin Packard-Bell color set quandry

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by indy mike, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Another kooky old TV set thread started up, and Steve taunts us with pix of that unused Packard-Bell color set. I'm wondering: what would you choose to watch if it were your set and the temptation to get the electrons flowing through it proved too strong? I'd go with cartoons - probably some of the MGM Tom and Jerry stuff being worked on for DVD transfer (release date next year). I'd say I'd watch Tex Avery's MGM stuff, but there's been no mention of new prints being made for his toons yet. I can see the brilliant, lush color vibrating in my mind, and boy is it cool.... :cool:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well I have three other old Color sets, so I can watch stuff on them. If I watch stuff on the Packard Bell I would have to peel off those vintage factory screen stickers and that would kill the value of the thing.

See?

Attached Files:

3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

I know about that minty fresh problem - I've got some mint, boxed choo-choos that have never sat on track, yet I look at them and think "they're toys meant to be played with"... I can see you slapping on some of those naughty banned Warner toons made by Mr. Clampett like CBATSD's or some such forbidden fruit...

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

well, if Steve were to invite us to watch vintage shows on his non-stickered vintage equipment, then I'd have to request :

Batman (back in the mid 60's, my neighbor across the street would invite me over to watch Batman (In Color) followed by The Green Hornet (In Color)
    The Monkees
    Star Trek
    Ed Sullivan (Beatles and/or Rolling Stones episodes)

and if Steve has any old antenni maybe we can pick up some old broadcast signals :)

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I'd watch some classic TV.... It would not matter if it was colour (note the correct spelling, guys! ;) ) maybe Lucy, Get Smart, Dick Van Dyke, My Favourite Martian, F-Troop, Lost In Space, Beverly Hillbillies, Addams Family....

So many classics!

Not sure how some of those would stand up today, though... :sigh:

6. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I've often wondered what something more recent would look like on Steve's vintage color sets. What would "E.R." look like?

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

I wish that we had a 'SH Forums' test pattern - now that would be cool!

Bob:D

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You didn't read my golden words in the Honeymooners thread? I'm shocked and offended! (Not really).

Try this:

quote:
    Originally posted by stereoptic

I think that it started with All in the Family which was the first series to be reguraly filmed on video tape rather than film. It looked great and "life-like" when it was first used, but now they look very bright.

Steve's golden words:

Not bright, you mean over lit. A technique used in TV in those days to assure that consumers could see everything, the old sets being not as sensitive as the ones today. This over-bright technique is best seen on The Brady Bunch and other filmed 1/2 hour shows. A lot of old TV sets had bad contrast and that is why the shows were lit like that. When ever I watch any of this stuff on one of my old Color sets it looks just right. BUT, Law And Order (for example) looks dull and monochromatic...

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

ALL OF THEM!:laugh: and a few others!:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.