The Waterboys: OUT OF ALL THIS BLUE - New Album due September 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by InStepWithTheStars, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Have started Karma to Burn. Excellent! Drumming on Medicine Bow and The Pan Within are significantly different. Like it...but that's what immediately came to mind. (Now I guess I should double check and see if that's true.)

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yeah, this Karma to Burn is a tour de force. A lot heavier than I expected. Or maybe I should have expected it after Dream Harder.

But it's fantastic.

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

"Come Live With Me"...wow! What a song and performance. Incredible. What album is this off of?

4. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you Thread Starter

Sadly it's not from an album. It was a Fisherman's Blues outtake. It appears on the 6 CD Fisherman's Box set as well as both of the Room to Roam CD singles. Personally, I think the live version, with Richard Naiff's untouchable solo, is better than the studio one, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Fisherman's Box is essential if you loved the original Fisherman's Blues album; a lot of the outtakes are as good or better than the songs that made the cut. It's a ton of music to take in, but it's worth it. The price has gone up on it a lot since I got it, but you should still be able to find a copy for less than $50. And it finally made it to streaming platforms relatively recently, so you can sample it before you decide to buy.

Have you heard "Too Close To Heaven"? One of Mike's absolute finest. Even he has stated that it should have made the Fisherman's Blues album.

TeddyB and Zeki like this.
  5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Fortunately, I subscribe to Apple Music so it's all right there for my listening pleasure. Am listening to Too Close to Heaven at this very moment. Brilliant.

6. InStepWithTheStars

We already know Fisherman's Blues is a masterpiece, but to think that got left off...

There are a ton of gems in the box set. Some of my favorites are "Meet Me At The Station", "Born To Be Together", "Saints And Angels" (you can tell I have started the box numerous times but never got to finishing it). The extended versions of the original album versions are essential, especially "And A Bang On The Ear". I haven't listened to the edit since December of 2015 and I don't intend to change that any time soon. That coda is one of the most gorgeous musical pieces I've ever heard.

Oh, and if you've not heard "Beverly Penn" from the bonus tracks of the expanded This Is The Sea, make sure to listen to that. Easily in my top three songs of all time.

MonkeysCantSwing likes this.
  7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been enjoying the Pink Floyd/Roger Waters immersion, because of the various threads, and need a break! The Waterboys (along with The Long Ryders) were my bands of the '80's. I'm going to enjoy jumping headlong into the discography.

8. InStepWithTheStars

Every album is a different style - this means that if you don't like one style, you don't have to deal with it for long, but if you do... well, every single album has rarities on B-sides and compilations and the like, so there is more if you want it (if you can find it). I'm working with a few other members here on a full list of every officially released track, hope to post it here once it's finished. I'll hold off on more recommendations until you've digested what I've posted here... I can't shut up when I talk about this band...

Zeki likes this.
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I've jumped back into The Waterboys: listened to A Pagan Place twice, Fisherman's Blues twice (at least), Kharma to Burn twice (the best thing since sliced bread) and part of Modern Blues.

10. InStepWithTheStars

Glad you dig Karma To Burn. I would honestly call that their best retrospective album. The two best-of compilations have some weird track lists, although probably more for what they're missing than what they have; was surprised that neither one has "This Is The Sea", I wish they'd included "We Will Not Be Lovers" and "Church Not Made With Hands", and as much as I do enjoy them, I wouldn't put "Strange Boat" or "The Return Of Pan" on a best-of when there's so many more songs that could have fit the bill better.

Admittedly Karma To Burn doesn't have any of the songs I mentioned either, but the familiar songs are all different enough to reward repeated listenings (to both the originals and the live versions).

You might also like the semi-but-not-really-anymore-official live album The Live Adventures Of The Waterboys, which chronicles the band's 1986 live performances including their entire legendary Glastonbury set. Personally I think it pales compared to Karma, but it's still very good. According to Mike, the company that put it out stopped paying royalties to the band but continued selling it, and even though Mike thinks it's fantastic, he urges people not to buy it. It's completely out of print now (and rather expensive) so essentially there's no harm to be done anymore. At the moment prices are pretty low on Discogs - Buy The Waterboys - The Live Adventures Of The Waterboys (CD) at Discogs Marketplace - when I got mine, the average price was around $50 (though I got it for much cheaper - disc one is practically ruined, but I did get an error-free rip and burned my own CD-R). I'm sure you could also find it very easily on youtube.

11. InStepWithTheStars

DrJ and Musicisthebest like this.
  12. InStepWithTheStars

I don't presume to speak for the character in the song or anybody else who might be listening, but after about ten or eleven plays, I can safely say that the answer is yeah.

September cannot come fast enough.

13. InStepWithTheStars

14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Who is in the Waterboys this go round?

15. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

The Waterboys – Out Of All This Blue Track Listing:

1 Do We Choose Who We Love
    2 If I Was Your Boyfriend
    3 Santa Fe
    4 If the Answer Is Yeah
    5 Love Walks In
    6 New York I Love You
    7 The Connemara Fox
    8 The Girl in the Window Chair
    9 Morning Came Too Soon
    10 Hiphopstrumental 4 (Scatman)
    11 The Hammerhead Bar
    12 Mister Charisma
    13 Nashville, Tennessee
    14 Man, What a Woman
    15 Girl in a Kayak
    16 Monument
    17 Kinky's History Lesson
    18 Skyclad Lady
    19 Rokudenashiko
    20 Didn't We Walk on Water
    21 The Elegant Companion
    22 Yamaben
    23 Payo Payo Chin

Deluxe Editions 3rd CD/3rd Disc:
    1 The Memphis Fox
    2 If the Answer Is Yeah (Alternate Version)
    3 If I Was Your Boyfriend (Zeenie Mix)
    4 Epiphany on Mott Street
    5 Didn't We Walk on Water (JessKav Mix)
    6 Santa Fe (Instrumental)
    7 Payo Payo Chin (Tokyo Hotel)
    8 Return to Roppongi Hills
    9 Nashville, Tennessee (Live)
    10 Mister Charisma (Alternate Version)
    11 So in Love with You

Dennis Metz likes this.
  16. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Amazing player, see him these days with Ian McNabb and he has inspired my missus to start a bit on the old joanna again!!!

17. InStepWithTheStars

lucan_g likes this.
  18. InStepWithTheStars

19. InStepWithTheStars

20. InStepWithTheStars

It looks like the double LP version will in fact contain all 23 songs. More than eight minutes per side? Unthinkable!

21. InStepWithTheStars

Ian James Ross's excellent single cover alongside the album cover. Ian James Ross on Twitter

And happy birthday wishes to Brother Paul!

22. InStepWithTheStars

Curious - does anybody here actually have the Sunflowers and/or Lion Of Love CDs?

23. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Huge Waterboys fan - and I thought Modern Blues was brilliant - just preordered the new 3 cd set - can't wait!

Pet Mike Scott moment - I saw a show where the Waterboys opened for U2 in San Francisco (Unforgettable Fire tour - amazing - an evening of "big music" indeed) and they were getting heckled throughout by some clown down in front of the stage - until Scott finally yells "F*** you ya fat ****head!" full volume into the mic and launches into the next tune. :laugh:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  24. InStepWithTheStars

Official single for "If The Answer Is Yeah" is out today on streaming/download platforms. Features a cool new intro and extended outro (although strangely, that somewhat jarring transition into the bridge, which I assumed was the edit for the single, is still there). Extends it by about 35 seconds. Both versions of the album are up for preorder. Less than two months now! :wiggle:

25. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I too am a huge fan of the Yeats album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.