The Wedding Present - Going, Going...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by countingbackward, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

No, I'm not. I could ask, but that seems weird. :p I'm not clear on Scheps' discography, but given his pop cred, amp sims seem conceivable. David likes amps (and has preferences), but he's also very open-minded so, again, conceivable he would try amp sims IF Scheps wanted to. -E

2. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply. I guess I may just never know!

3. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Well, I bought the album on amazon, but my cd won't play on any of my players. The vendor is sending me another one, hopefully that fixes it.

4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  5. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Saw them perform 'Going Going' in full in Brighton last weekend. One of the best Wedding Present gigs I have ever witnessed.

6. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Just heard the new ep. Must say I'm missing Gedge's voice and sense of humor.

DPK likes this.
  7. manicpopthrill

Anyone heard George Best 30 yet?

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  8. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Great stuff. Played at a frantic speed like it was and still is live. Worth getting for sure.

9. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident Thread Starter

Getting a bit off-topic now, but the LP is a massive sonic upgrade on the original. When a Steve Albini production sounds relatively lush, you know the comparable album was really thin.

To put it in perspective...after listening to GB30, I put on the original LP - and by comparison the original sounds like the guitar was built out of a tin can, recorded at the end of a tunnel, from which Gedge is trying to be heard over the racket. And that doesn't even get into the difference in the drum sound.

For a TWP fan...GB30 is highly recommended. While the original certainly has a charm, if you're listening on a quality system, the new one is hugely improved. I wish more bands would re-record early poorly-recorded albums.

Next up...Tommy!

10. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I’d agree that GB30 sounds really good.

11. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

i'm gutted I had to miss them playing GB30 live Friday just gone, had a ticket for weeks but came home to a central heating issue that needed fixing that night before the big chill kicked in over the weekend so had to call time on me going out
    i'm sure it won't be the last chance I get to see them

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  12. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

They are touring Tommy next February. Just 4 shows. I am off to the Poole one. Should be good. GB has been milked a bit much now. 20th and 30th anniversary gigs, live 2007 and GB30. Let's give some attention to good old Tommy!

Pop_Zeus, noahjld and Jet Age Eric like this.
  13. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Bump!
    I simply can not recommend this album more highly. An absolute masterpiece.

14. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

15. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

I finally completed my collection of the 8 Edsel deluxe hardback editions with Watusi arriving direct from Scopitones today and going straight in the CD player. It was the last one in stock and they only currently have Saturnalia and Mini left out of them all. I guess these were quite limited. It’s ages since I’ve seen any of them in a record shop.

I’ve pretty much picked them up in the order of how much I like the albums, so Watusi was last. It’s so long since I’ve played it that it’s actually better than I remembered. Listening to all 3 discs of all 8 releases is gonna take some time.

I’m quite into Going. . . Going now, even if the first 4 songs are somewhat bizarre. I must watch the film soon. Saw them live a few years back in Manchester, it was immense, I finally got to hear My Favourite Dress live, got a setlist at the end and then met David Gedge at the merch stall and got it signed. Big fan of his

16. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Don't build your hopes up with the Going, Going....films!!

DPK, bobbydriver and sparkmeister like this.
  17. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

18. John54

John54 Senior Member

I should investigate. I was never really a fan of the Wedding Present; all I have is a 12" of Nobody's Twisting Your Arm, and maybe a track or two on compilations, and I thought most of what I heard by them was clattering and noisy. On the other hand I liked Cinerama, especially Dance Girl Dance which became one of my top half a dozen songs of the '90s.

If this LP is as good as the OP claims, I should own it ...

19. manicpopthrill

This is not the album I would start with.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  20. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Start with the first 3 (not counting the Tommy compilation) : George Best, Bizarro & Seamonsters. They do get a little bit samey after a while, but even David Gedge laughs about the fact. They had t-shirts printed with ‘Every song sounds the same’ on them, I believe after a critic said this about them, then years later ‘Every song still sounds the same.’

I have every studio album and I got the initial live 2007 one (including George Best played live in full), but the new one looks too similar and I can’t be bothered picking up every live and radio sessions thing they put out. Great band though

21. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

"All The Songs Sound The Same" - this was the title of the 4-song 10" edition of the "3 Songs" EP and was a t-shirt made up for the tour. I had one. It was reprinted more than once due to popular demand.

I love The Wedding Present but I'm a wee bit out the boat because I didn't like them at first and I don't rate "George Best" particularly highly. My favourite TWP albums are "Seamonsters" "Watusi" "Valentina" and "Going, Going..." (in chronological order only). I still have all my "The Hit Parade" 7"s but I have lost my "Why Are You Being So Reasonable Now" cassette with the French version somewhere along the way...

22. octophone

I've skipped a few live albums too, to be honest. My purse is not bottomless and sometimes, you have to let a few things through the net.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  23. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I’m going to see them do a ‘Bizzaro 30’ show soon, looking forward to it though I’m looking forward to a ‘Seamonsters’ tour even more!

24. octophone

I missed them touring Seamonsters at the time: I first saw then in 1990 and then again late 1992 when they were touring The Hit Parade so a Seamonsters tour would be fun for me.

Pop_Zeus and hamicle like this.
  25. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Seamonsters, Saturnalia and George Best are my favorites, followed by Valentina, Going Going, and El Rey, then Bizarro and Take Fountain. The last four could shift a bit. Tommy is fabulous. The nice thing is there are no BAD TWP records. ;) -E

Man at C&A and Pop_Zeus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.