The Who - 2014 Remasters (HDTracks/iTunes) Side 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Weird. Listening to the clip, not only is the piano mixed out, but the vocals are split a bit, which is odd, considering John's double-tracking isn't particularly tight.

I like the piano.

dee likes this.
  2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I didn't have a problem with it either, but I certainly don't believe that piano was obtrusive enough to make or the break song.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  3. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks for your help too, motion, re: Pono.

4. dee

dee Senior Member

I meant to reply rather than 'like' :), but regardless, agreed about the lead vocal and a few spots where John's now split vocals don't mesh or match that are probably more noticeable than when they were tracked closer together. Still I really like the different mix though.

lukpac likes this.
  5. dee

dee Senior Member

In a way, that's kind of my point, the idea that the piano is neither here nor there, imo, in its purpose or functionality, in this instance, and I end up hearing its subtraction more gratifying than its addition, but I understand that's just my opinion. Thanks for your helpful post in the Pono thread. I really appreciate it!

6. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Dee great catch, just listened to the iTunes recent release, the HDTracks hi-res version, and the SHM-CD original mix version where bonus tracks are last in order, the HDTracks is so raw and love the Keith count in. I am proposing a graduate online course that maybe Univ of Wisconsin Madison could offer, I know who we could find as a visiting professor (lol) on The Who mixes, Who Mixology 905 would be a good course name.

InStepWithTheStars and dee like this.
  7. motionoftheocean

to which post are you referring?

8. dee

dee Senior Member

In the Pono thread, :), you were the first to help out with a question/s I had.

9. motionoftheocean

ok good, but I have no idea what your question was.

dee likes this.
  10. dee

dee Senior Member

I've lost track of the Guitar and Pen mixes (original album mix, the MFSL bonus track mix, the album remix, the Olympic '78 guitar mix bonus track on the remix, others???) and I don't know where this new one stands among each of those specifically in its differences right now, I just know that it's always been a song I have appreciated and enjoyed, and one, like some of the rest of WAY, I've never been totally satisfied with or as blown away by as I would want (always felt the lead vocal tone was just not a good listen for me on Guitar and Pen, and one or two others, along with other instrumental things too) but after two listens, I really like this different mix for hi rez. The vocal tone sounds much richer to me, I like the electric guitar dominating the right channel, I like how the synths in the intro, and later with the piano, are evenly split across the stereo spectrum. I like the backing vocals on the left. In the short, intermediary instrumental section - one just before the 3 minute mark, it has a 'different feel' to it with regards to the bass guitar or maybe it's just the bass guitar is placed dead center and sounds deep and funky in this section. Regardless, I had to have this track, since Guitar and Pen is a favorite of mine from WAY. The mix is a pleasant surprise to me and after 4 or 5 listens, was totally worth getting, for me. I know the song is not every Who fan's cup of tea or beverage of choice, but fwiw, I'm very pleased with this mix and the sound of it. Daltrey's vocal is not as grating - sounds nice. On the downside, I didn't think the drums sounded particularly exciting, but everything else seems to me, balanced but also distinct, and seems to serve the song well.

11. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

That would be good (my alma mater too!).

Surely there must somewhere be a spreadsheet with every Who track and all of the various mixes/masterings/edits with their sources and timings. There has to be one definitively accurate compilation of all of the information that has been scattered over dozens of lengthy threads on this forum and elsewhere that is kept updated with every new wave of reissues (both physical and download only).

I, for one, am waiting to dive into the Who again in a (likely vain) attempt to assemble a complete collection until such a spreadsheet is available.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not sure if Excel supports files that large...

13. dee

dee Senior Member

14. dee

dee Senior Member

Trying to get closer to the bottom of Guitar and Pen.

The stereo imaging of the hi rez mix sounds much closer to the alternate version bonus track on the MFSL disc than it does to the 'more guitar heavy' Olympic '78 mix on the expanded WAY disc. Daltrey's vocals also sound less shrill and geezer-like to me on the MFSL alternate version, same as they do like on the Hi rez version. The electric guitar is also panned right and the backing vocals off center to the left, just like on the hi rez mix. But, the mix for hi rez still has that extra cymbal flourish at the start that is absent from these other 2 mixes, as well as not part of the original mix and the 95 or 96 remix.

Funny, I'm liking bits and pieces of each mix. The guitar heavy remix has more bite to it while the MFSL alternate bonus track seems to have a good blend of force and restraint, musical dynamics, and very good sonic fidelity.

I find the MFSL alternate version bonus track and the mix for hi rez have a similar sound and mix to them, to my ears. I might be missing something, or more than one thing, but other than more pronounced bass guitar sound, which could come from the new mastering, they sound spookily similar to my ears. I like them both, but prefer the mix to hi rez with the intro cymbal bit and more noticeable sound of killer sounding (like later on Eminence Front a bit) bass guitar playing.

The mix to hi rez appears to time out more like 6 minutes flat, not 6:05.

After listening to the original mix, remix, and Olympic 78 more guitar mix, this different hi rez mix sounds closest, without much doubt fwiw imo, to the alternate version bonus track from the MFSL, which I think is a good thing, and as mentioned, for a couple of little reasons, I prefer this latest one. So, it turns out I am happy with my $2.49! purchase.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  15. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

Don't forget someone up-thread mentioned that the "Olympic '78 mix" on the new HD edition is a remix.
    (So that version is neither "Olympic" nor "'78" anymore!)

Also I think the R&B box has an edit of the 96 remix.

16. dee

dee Senior Member

Oh yes, Rob Cooper reported that first here. I'm glad he did and owe him thanks for posting that! That's what precipitated my whole previous blathering post. This is a new mix of Guitar and Pen and it sounds great, imo, and/or rather I am really enjoying it.

Yes, I think it is both the WAY remix cd proper track (#7) and the box set remix too that has noticeable echo on Daltrey's vocal which I don't like. Just listened once again to 'THE NEW' '78 Olympic mix for hi rez and I love it. I think it is possible there may be additional cymbal work/flourishes throughout the song that may be unique to this mix, and maybe other little differences in the performance too, or perhaps not, but I feel like I am hearing a new take (metaphor) on the song, and I'm enjoying it. I would have to go back and listen to all the mixes again, but instead am just going to continue to enjoy this one.

Ah, good one! I see what you mean. It is still listed as such (Olympic '78) but in actuality is a new (2014) remix and mixed elsewhere :). Just to reiterate also, this new mix, does remind me in more than one way of the "alternate version" bonus track from the MFSL WAY disc. Not the same as the hi rez mix, but the closest to it of all the other mixes, imo.

Also, was listening to more of WAY proper, and in the spirit of alternate mixes as bonus tracks, I would absolutely love to hear an underdub or new mix of Love Is Coming Down without the strings. Had Enough as well.

17. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Anyone got the stereo SO? Reviews?

18. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

It’s awesome. -E

Dave Hoos and riknbkr330 like this.
  19. motionoftheocean

yeah I really want to get that one but I'm walking a bit of a tightrope with my wife where my purchase of hi-res downloads is concerned, unfortunately

johnny q likes this.
  20. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

We can get you police protection and buy a gun so you can look after number one?

21. Jet Age Eric

Insofar as you can, I'd prioritize it, but it's also my second fave Who album. -E

22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Agree. I just downloaded the HdTracks over the weekend and love the clear and crisp sound. Face Dances on the other hand, I just cannot bring myself to like or recommend. I personally like the remix better, and those clicks people mentioned earlier are annoying as well. And personally, I don't hear any benefit on this particular release from the higher rez.

23. Jet Age Eric

I DESPERATELY needed this post--thank you!!! ;) -E

johnny q likes this.
  24. motionoftheocean

we'll see.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  25. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

Which remix of Face Dances do you mean please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.