The Who - 2014 Remasters (HDTracks/iTunes)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange Thread Starter

Thought it appropriate to set up a thread for these new releases that are popping up so far we have:

24/96 Lossless (available at HDTracks and HighResAudio)

Tommy (Deluxe Edition) - Just the original mix with no bonus tracks, same remaster as the 2013 version
    Live At Leeds (Deluxe Edition) - Brand new mix, without the overdubs and in original concert order - A MUST HAVE!
    Quadrophenia (Super Deluxe Edition) - The original mix (unlike the 2011 box) same remaster as the recent Blu Ray audio, plus Pete's demos from the box
    The Who By Numbers - original mix with the 3 bonus tracks from Swansea (possibly same remaster as the 2011 Japanese SHM CD but in higher resolution)

iTunes

Multiple releases have appeared and still going through these but initial releases of interest:

The Who Sell Out (Stereo) - new master of Disc 1 from the Deluxe edition with no compression/limiting
    The Who Sell Out (Mono) - new master of Disc 2 from the Deluxe edition with no compression/limiting
    Who's Next (Deluxe Edition) - new masters of the bonus tracks including an unedited Baby Don't You Do It at Record Plant! Again, no compression/limiting....
    Odds and Sods - This appears to be using the original mixes like the 2011 SHM disc, but in the order of the 1998 remix!
    Who Are You - Seems to be the same as the 2011 SHM CD - they have removed No Road Romance as a bonus track
    Face Dances - Again, seems to be the same as the 2011 SHM CD but removed Somebody Saved Me as a bonus track

Once I go through these, with the help of others I'll keep updating the list....

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    art, Turmatic, BIG ED and 15 others like this.
  2. RobCooper

I'd say that the Record Plant songs on Who's Next are new mixes - they sound a lot dryer and more natural! Fantastic stuff.

dee, vonwegen, botley and 2 others like this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I suspect a lot of this will be available on CD in 2015.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not certain, but I don't think that's happening.

Billy Hunt likes this.
  5. RobCooper

They've removed No Road Romance from the bonus tracks on Who Are You.

6. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Wow, so they just sneaked out all these new remasters without any fanfare! I am probably gonna check out the new Who's Next tracks and Live at Leeds

dee likes this.
  7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I hope so.

FJFP likes this.
  8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Along with a new Best Of/Greatest Hits, etc. compilation. Hey, by then it will have been a whole year since the last one.

broccolid and raphph like this.
  9. RobCooper

And Somebody Saved Me has been taken off Face Dances.

10. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Leeds on HDTracks is fantastic. Lot's of additional dialogue between songs that was edited out on the 2 cd deluxe version. Also, easily the best sounding version.....beats the 1995 CD, MFSL and Deluxe, imo.

11. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I give massive credit to Astley & Universal for so strictly adhering to the intended policies of HD Tracks & MFIT, and only using hi-resolution transfers for everything (instead of just "faking it"/upsampling like so many others do), to the point where they are even leaving select things off/doing new mixing/performing better mastered transfers/etc, when needed!

I wonder where the impulse, not to mention the money, to do all of this new work is coming from?

Zep Fan and D.B. like this.
  12. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

The new iTunes Quick One mono samples sound great. Would love to know if Lukpac thinks this is the same transfer as the single disc SHM-CD.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Single disc SHM?

kohoutek likes this.
  14. GetHappy!!

Sorry, I might be a bit confused - which CD issue of AQO was released with less limiting than the original "For Collectors Only" set? The 2011 single disc SHM, or the 2012 2-disc issue?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

2012 2 CD.

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Some nice discoveries here, however being that I have the complete set of 2011/12 SHM Japan releases. Plus the 2014 Tommy platinum and other sort after discs. I'll have to pick and chose what I want. And I can easily foresee much of this getting a physical release for the 50th anniversary.

17. GetHappy!!

Gotcha, thank you. Always wanted to pick it up and never did. If it's anything like the new iTunes version, I'll be looking for it, pronto.

tdavis0903 likes this.
  18. RobCooper

Right notes on Who's Next Record Plant tracks. All sound very similar to the mixes on the original Deluxe Edition but I'd say they were slightly different and a little dryer. Same stereo image though so maybe reverb was added at the mastering stage for that release? All tracks have minimal compression/limiting.

Baby Don't You Do It - starts with Keith hitting sticks and a few seconds of extra chat. The track is also longer with around 20 seconds extra music.
    Getting In Tune - misses Pete's 'tell Stampy to shut up' chat and starts with the piano. However, the track is also longer by around 30 seconds with an extended outro jam!
    Pure and Easy - pretty much identical but slightly longer as the original deluxe edition cut out one 'There once was a note, listen' at the very end of the song. The song is about 5 or so seconds longer as a result!
    Love Ain't For Keeping - no real difference in length (aside from a brief second or so at the end)
    Behind Blue Eyes - no real difference in length (aside from a brief second or so at the end)
    Won't Get Difference - the only track here that is slightly different speed to the CD Deluxe Edition (only by +10 cents though!). Otherwise seems identical!

cvila, Veni Vidi Vici, Dondy and 6 others like this.
  19. dee

dee Senior Member

Per Luke the new Leeds is up at iTunes too. Won't be able to visit there for another day or so, is there any product description to quickly differentiate it from the other, older Leeds releases they may have for download also?

20. RobCooper

There are three versions up at the mo (in the UK at least!):

25th Anniversary Edition - the 1995 version - £8.99
    Super Deluxe Edition - the 2010 version - £18.99
    Deluxe Edition (HD Edition) - the new 2014 version - £4.99

These new releases are all £4.99. Is this likely to be an error?

dee likes this.
  21. dee

dee Senior Member

So, there's a new and superior remaster of the Deluxe Sell Out?

Wow, sweet price!

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yeah, just "Deluxe Edition" for Leeds. But the tracks are in the right order and it has a 11/4/14 release date.

dee likes this.
  23. GetHappy!!

I would grab it - the Deluxe Edition in the US store has no "HD" connotation, and is currently $19.99.

24. dee

dee Senior Member

Darn, was hoping the $ price was in the 12-15 area. Still will get it asap though.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Odd, since that was a great addition to the SHM CD.

Anything with the Young Vic tracks? I'm not certain, but the Deluxe Edition has what seems to be an edit in Love Ain't For Keeping at 2:15, after the solo. There's a riff that's repeated 3 times; seems like it was probably played 4 times live.

Maybe they'll reissue the box set and we'll get an unedited remix of Bony Moronie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.