The Who - 2014 Remasters (HDTracks/iTunes)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

If I am correctly hearing incredulity in this post, I heartily second it. It seems like they could splice in, say, the solos and then flip the phase. Or maybe I’m out of my mind. -E

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Solos? Phase? What?

3. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I went to Itunes to listen to samples and somehow accidentally purchased "Quadrophenia".

I skimmed through this album that I never heard and then promptly deleted it. I guess I'm not much of a 1970s Who fan.

:hide:

noahjld likes this.
  4. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

OMG!!!! :)

J_D__ and sound chaser like this.
  5. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

You did not like quadrophenia. Surely you jest. In my view the only album that rivals quadrophenia is who's next

Coricama, ChesterB, Dave Hoos and 2 others like this.
  6. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

and in my view, no Who album rivals Quadrophenia. one of the best albums anyone has ever made.

lobo, Bart, hazard and 11 others like this.
  7. originalsnuffy

Slightly off topic but not hugely so. Anybody know the story of why there are two versions of join together? One seems to have more piping in the end.

Also is there any value to the USA versions of who's missing and two's missing on vinyl? Or are these commonplace.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  8. Jet Age Eric

Doesn’t the stereo version of My Generation not have the “correct” solo? I was saying you could fly in the solo, and flipping phase might help with the bleed through on the solo track. -E

9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Remix for the Maximum R&B box set IIRC.

10. originalsnuffy

I have that box set but play it rarely. I do not like the way all tracks segue into the next track without breaks. I am anal and would prefer to hear the music as it was originally released. That set was more like a mix tape.

noahjld likes this.
  11. botley

botley Forum Resident

I am really digging the newly MFiT Who's Next Deluxe Edition and A Quick One in mono. Possibly the definitive versions of those two albums (until HD versions of the same masters emerge).

GetHappy!! likes this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's a new overdub. But the discussion was about So Sad About Us.

Haven't listened, but the 2012 mono AQO was a stereo transfer; not terrible, but less than ideal. Chances are this is the same.

13. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Instead of skimming through it, why not listen to it all the way through before deciding to delete one of the best albums ever made?

vinylphile, painted8, BGLeduc and 5 others like this.
  14. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

A fold down or another kind of remix from stereo masters? Another case of lost master tapes?

15. Jet Age Eric

I thought the discussion was about MG, and why didn't they fly in the original solo INSEAD of creating a new overdub. -E

16. botley

botley Forum Resident

If you mean to say that there is a difference on the 2012 mono CD between the left and right channels, that is not the case here. This 2014 iTunes version is presented in true two-channel mono, whatever the original source may be.

cartologist likes this.
  17. dee

dee Senior Member

I think it had to with the AQO mono tape being transferred via stereo heads rather than a mono head??

lukpac likes this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm not a big fan of the SHM flat masterings. They have too little punch, if that makes sense. My question is: which of these HDTracks versions has the SHM mastering? I like the 2013 Tommy, because it is a better remaster of the deluxe edition, which I thought sounded pretty good. Is there a chance the inevitable Who's Next DE will have a different mastering than the SHM one?

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  19. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange Thread Starter

Transfer of mono tapes on stereo heads - rather than true mono. Nothing too noticeable though.

lukpac likes this.
  20. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange Thread Starter

I actually did this recently for a bit of fun - I used the Talmy 2002 mixes and flew in the guitar solo from the mono mix.... It wasn't great but with work it could be improved upon. Did the same for I Can't Explain with the tambourine and A Legal Matter with guitar.... I'll up to YouTube if anyone is particularly interested...

djoseph56 likes this.
  21. Jet Age Eric

I'd love to hear, Rob! No rush ... -E

djoseph56 likes this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, we were talking about the needledrop of So Sad About Us.

23. Jet Age Eric

I see that now--my bad. I thought the '02/'03 ref was to MG SACD. -E

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It's easily one of my least favorite Who albums. Boring.

25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I'd rank Quadrophenia 5th, after Sell Out, Tommy, Who's Next, and Who By Numbers. I think it is too busy, and don't care for the way Townshend uses synths on that album. It still has good songs and playing, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.