The Who - 2014 Remasters (HDTracks/iTunes)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

how can you see that it was originally upsampled after you downsampled the files yourself first?

Quadboy likes this.
  2. pernod

pernod Forum Resident

I was talking about the high res files before downsampling ofcourse. I'll see if I can attach a screen shot when I'm home from work.

3. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

another attempt ;)
    most versions of the recent My Generation releases feature more or less the same tracks in Mono and/or Stereo. But here are the differences (ignoring different mastering, all vinyl releases and CD releases pre-2002):

"Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" (French EP) [Mono]
    • only available on iTunes. This is the same recording as the "Alternate Version" from various stereo albums (which all are new mixes), most likely a needledrop of the original French EP.

"Instant Party Mixture" [Mono]

• only available on iTunes and as Hi-Res download. Unclear is this is a new mono mix, a new folddown or the original mono mix (which was never released before)

"Circles" (Alternate Mix) [Mono]

only available on:
    • 2008 Japanese Audio-CD "UICY-6988"
    • 2008 Japanese SHM-2-CD My Generation Box "UICY-93533/4"
    • 2011 Japanese SHM-CD "UICY-20181" (stand-alone version of the first disc from the 2008 SHM-2-CD My Generation Box "UICY-93533/4")
    • 2012 Japanese SHM-2-CD "UICY-94802" (same tracklist as 2008 Japanese SHM-2-CD My Generation Box" UICY-93533/4")

"Leaving Here", "Lubie (Come Back Home)", "I'm A Man", "Daddy Rolling Stone", "(Love Is Like A) Heat Wave" and "Motoring" [Original Stereo Mixes]

avalable on:
    • iTunes Who's Missing and Two's Missing
    • Hi-Res Download Who's Missing and Two's Missing
    • 2011 Japanese SHM-2-CD "UICY-94786/7" Who's Missing/Two's Missing

2002 Shel Talmy Stereo Mixes (except the 3 tracks following below)
    available on:
    • iTunes Deluxe Edition
    • amazon Mp3 Deluxe Edition
    • 2002 Deluxe Edition CD
    • 2008 Japanese SHM-2-CD My Generation Box "UICY-93533/4"
    • 2012 Japanese SHM-2-CD "UICY-94802" (same tracklist as 2008 Japanese SHM-2-CD My Generation Box" UICY-93533/4")
    • 2011 Japanese SHM-SACD "UIGY-9059" (same content as 2014 Japanese SHM-SACD "UIGY-9593") [album tracks + "Circles" only]
    • 2014 Japanese SHM-SACD "UIGY-9593" (same content as 2011 Japanese SHM-SACD "UIGY-9059") [album tracks + "Circles" only]

"Antime You Want Me" (A Capella Version) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo Mix]

only available on:
    • iTunes Deluxe Edition
    • 2002 Deluxe Edition CD

"My Generation" (Instrumental) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo Mix, Album take]
    only available on:
    • iTunes Deluxe Edition
    • 2002 Deluxe Edition CD

"Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" (Alternate Take, 2002 Shel Talmy Stereo Mix, No Backing-Vocals)

only available on:

2014 Stereo Mixes (incl. "Daddy Rolling Stone" (Alternate Version, 2014 Stereo Mix), "Out In The Streets" (Alternate Version, 2014 Stereo Mix), "The Kids Are Alright" (Alternate Version, 2014 Stereo Mix) and "My Generation" (Instrumental) [2014 Stereo Mix, Alternate take]
    only available on:
    • iTunes and as Hi-Res download.

"The Kids Are Alright" (US Edit)
    available on:
    • iTunes The Who Sings My Generation
    • amazon Mp3 The Who Sings My Generation

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  4. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange Thread Starter

Fantastic work! Makes sense and would be a valuable if we could get a 'core' collection list for all the albums. Would take an age to complete though!

funkydude likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Could you elaborate more on that? The live takes are longer?

6. RobCooper

7. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

thanks. It could be done. But knowing how long it took to make this one list.... I don't know. And I don't even know if I haven't forgotten anything or if the infos I have are incorrect.

8. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Is anyone else disappointed with the contents of Sell Out? I would have liked to see more from the reissue i.e Jaguar and the missing verse of Odorono as a couple of examples.

9. dee

dee Senior Member

MG mono album US/UK, 21st century stereo mixes, non lp songs with vintage and modern mixes, all that stuff, etc, makes for an interesting homemade, essential multi-disc set. Plus the available High Numbers recordings. Since mentioned, re: The Good's Gone and I Don't Mind, I can't listen (exaggerating a bit there, or a lot...) to the short versions anymore since the full recordings have been released, but when I think of how they were originally released on the lp, it helps me to think of those as something like radio edits/single edits. The MG 'compilation' seems to be an ongoing project as even little extras like Instant Party in mono has now received a release. AAA would have been a major deal to me mixed to stereo if only it contained the better lead vocal. When I made a homemade comp of the stereo mixes for the MG album, it was fun for me to include Instant Party (since it is titled :)) Mixture following Circles with of course I'm A Man included and the stereo mixes of the unedited Good's Gone and I Don't Mind. A second disc of the singles, b sides, and non lp tracks makes for even more fun listening. Now with Instant Party Mixture in mono, I can do about the same for a comp of the album in mono.

10. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Based on highresaudio.com, it looks like more is coming with the stereo mix: https://www.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=310877 (I, too, love "Jaguar"). Presumably the US will be getting this and other "new" releases imminently. -E

11. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

am i right in thinking the official versions of Naked Eye [YV] are still edited towards the end [when compared to the bootleg] where Roger seems/mumble to forget his lines of "we're not pawns in any game" etc.
    if so,i'm surprised they've never attempted to fix this with his vocals from another live recording.
    even just as an experiment to see how it sounds.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The new download version is unedited, and the Deluxe Edition was as well.

The mix on the box set was edited, and the mix on the '95 CD was a bit less edited.

Quadboy likes this.
  13. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

yes.i recall the first 2 versions were quite edited,and i haven't listened to the DE in ages,and i tend to turn it off after the first half...........it quickly loses steam!

14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

The WN HD still baffles me though.
    Why just release the YV songs they had already.
    it must be aimed at a upcoming CD/SHM disc release?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Presumably just releasing (more or less) what's already on CD is easier from a legal perspective than doing a new expanded release.

Last I knew there were no plans for physical releases. The updates were specifically for (HD) download purposes.

16. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Just when you think you've finally cracked it and got everything ... :sigh: :shake:

RobCooper and Quadboy like this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I can picture myself in, let's say, five years, buying the absolutely complete Live At Leeds with no edits at all and great sound quality :laugh:.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  18. RobCooper

God bless the Who and their super consistent approach to reissues.....

Timjosephuk likes this.
  19. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

ponomusic.com is now open and has the releases we are expecting from HDtracks: Who Are You, Odds & Sods, It's Hard, and Face Dances.

20. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

21. dee

dee Senior Member

Me too.

22. dee

dee Senior Member

For me, off the top of my head, it's the middle section of that concert with IDEKM, probably TMOA, and Bargain, where things go awry a bit and I agree it loses Its pace and steam there. I find though with Bony Moronie, Water, and Naked Eye that they get back on track, and of course, I really like that version of Gettin' In Tune with its multiple guitar solos. I would like to hear the rest of the concert in that kind of audio quality though too, especially BDDI.

WhoTapes1 and Quadboy like this.
  23. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Let's continue here....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.