The Who 50th Anniversary Tour: 2014-2017 and more! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reb, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Always the true heart of The Who.

reb, dee, Hep Alien and 1 other person like this.
  2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul Thread Starter

3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

4. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Well, this is great news for me who can be in Vegas in four hours. Though I'd guess the chances of an ABSOLUTELY static set list in such an arrangement are high. We'll see.

5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

No planes down your way? :)

6. dee

dee Senior Member

That was a great listen. Roger touched on a lot of topics in a direct and sincere way. Looking forward to his book, and the audiobook especially, hope he reads it, or sings it, :)

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely! Considering that Wilko thought he'd be dead by now, they didn't get to do a full-on tour in support of that album. Wasn't it just one show they did together?

dee likes this.
  8. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I would love a follow-up album by Wilko & Roger!

dee and melstapler like this.
  9. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I reckon I might as well put this here, as I've probably badmouthed Pino on this thread. I'm watching "Live in Boston" for the first time since I fixed the phase issues in my surround system and I can a) TOTALLY hear Pino and b) think what he's playing is totally appropriate. His tone is still wrong, but he clearly had his head in the right place. That said, per my comments above, live, Jon Button was still more impactful. -E

bagofsoup likes this.
  10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I've never understood the criticism of Pino. His role was just like that of Darryl "The Munch" Jones in the Stones: he plays what the masters want, and he is not in control of the Front of House sound. Like "The Munch", he is one of the best, and most in-demand, players in the world. That The Who never really utilized him properly mystified me, and I was always disappointed that he was largely inaudible in the mix.

He has great tone, as this clip, hopefully, shows:

melstapler and Sandinista like this.
  11. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

I don't blame how Roger and Pete use or used Pino's bass. John Entwistle was irreplaceable. So was Keith. Each time they chose to soldier on and I enjoyed the shows. Heck, I wouldn't have seen them if they stopped after Keith died. But we can't really say it was quite the same. Pino is doing what he can, quite professionally. Players at Moon's and the Ox's level just aren't interchangeable with other players.

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Technically, of course, Pino (and Darryl with the Stones) is way ahead, but everyone is used to the unique style of the band originals. Unlike the crack session musicians, we don't know what many of our favorite band members sound like in any other setting than the one for which they are famous.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Detroit Music Fan

I don't know that Pino's really more technically proficient than John in his prime was.

14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

God bless 'em . Why anyone would want a two year playing commitment not ending until they are both 75ish is beyond me but more power to them.

Me thinks Pete's random comments that he hates playing live or words to that effect are just so much bluster from The Tortured Artist. :D

I don't know his financial situation of course but at this point I have to assume he's not doing this just as a cash grab. He has to enjoy playing live at some level if he's onboard with a two year contract .

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Exactly .
    It's not down to technical proficiency when replacing guys like John or Keith.
    They had a certain style and drive and an interaction with the other band members that is unique .

It's not insulting to a great player like Pino to say he's doing a good job but he's not John . It's the reality of the situation. If the situation was reversed and he was the original bass player in The Who and was replaced by John Entwistle it wouldn't have sounded the same either.

Each player is unique in their own way.

Hep Alien, Matthew Tate and mw1917 like this.
  16. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Not even close I would have thought. John was a virtuoso.

17. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Is Jon Button a permanent replacement for Pino? Pete makes it sound as if Pino is history in his introductions during the recent Albert Hall performance of "Tommy." Incidentally, that performance of "Tommy is terrific. I have been very critical of The Who's live performance in the last few years. I didn't much like the show I saw in 2016, and I thought the Hyde Park performance was a snoozefest. But Pete's working hard in the Albert Hall "Tommy" and the band sounds great (Zak, in particular, is fabulous).

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It's only about 35 shows a year.

It's not Elvis doing 7 nights a week plus some midnight shows added.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The Vegas residency was never confirmed was it? I seem to remember reading Lady Gaga announcing a Vegas run recently so I assumed it was her who was taking over when Elton finishes.

On a separate issue, I can only see 2 groups confirmed for the Teenage Cancer Trust concerts at the Albert Hall. If there are going to be more they seem to be leaving it quite late.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Can you imagine the Ox playing with Herbie Hancock, etc. like Pino has? I get that Who fans think Moon and Entwistle were the greatest (just like Zep fans go on and on about Bonham), but they were just great within the confines of The Who. I can imagine Tony Williams drumming for The Who, but I can not imagine Keith Moon drumming for Miles Davis. That's why it was easy for Darryl Jones to work with Sting, Peter Gabriel, Madonna and the Stones after working for Miles. Not so easy to imagine the Ox or Bill Wyman or ... going the other way and joining Miles or Weather Report or .... Consider all the other acts Pino has worked with.

Sandinista and arthurprecarious like this.
  21. Detroit Music Fan

I can't imagine Keith drumming for Miles, no. But then Miles never had a need for the drum avalanche that was Keith Moon. Anyway, Keith is the greatest ROCK'n'roll drummer ever, in my opinion, not a jazz player.

Could I imagine John playing with Herbie Hancock? No, John's not funky enough. But I could easily imagine John in his prime playing with the likes of Tony Williams Lifetime or Miles just after the Lost Quintet. John had real chops.

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul Thread Starter

23. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Buddy Rich paying tribute to Keith would've been something unearthly. I know it'd be too much ego on BR's side to ever had a chance.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  24. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Well at least in Pete's case we don't have to. :)

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Jack DeJohnette on drums in that clip. Don't get a good enough view of the bass player to recognize him. I don't believe it is Dave Holland, which what comes up on Google.

There is a better transfer of the above on YouTube by ReelinInTheYears66, and there is also a version of Magic Bus but only in a relatively poor transfer.

Metheny plays the bulk of the guitar in both clips.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.