The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Was listening to this finally and I was walking down the street with headphones on, grooving on the My Generation jam. Entwistle made me laugh out loud when he snuck in "fade away" in the Boris voice, just ahead of Daltrey stuttering "f-fade away"! Hilarious! I listened to it half a dozen times.

2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I had seen an article somewhere that Yamaha drums are good for studio recording but, not for live concerts.

3. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Still one of my favourite moments in the whole show. :)

4. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

The truth is not as cut and dried and easily categorized as all that. (After all, how could it be? It’s Moon!). For me, it’s in the detailed examination of how Keith’s personal fads, foibles and quirks, and how they’d be reflected in temporary passions, recurring motifs and curious affectations, in which I’ve found endless enjoyment of his work.

From the earliest Who recordings (for example, ‘I Can’t Explain’), it’s quite clear how Studio Keith and Live Keith would adopt different approaches to the same material (I have pet theories about the reasons for this, but they're based in pure speculation, not fact, and not really relevant to the topic at hand). In the studio version of the song, Keith employs rather obvious use of the hi-hat during the verses, but in a live setting (evident in everything from the Shindig clip in TKAA, all the way through to his final performances) rode the ride cymbal from start to finish. Put it this way: if you can point me to a live recording of ‘I Can’t Explain’ in which Keith uses hi-hat, I’d be astonished. And this was quite often—and with a few notable exceptions—his entire philosophy about playing in the Who — cf. live vs. studio material from Tommy (‘Overture,’ ‘Pinball Wizard,’ ‘Amazing Journey,’ ‘Christmas,’ ‘Go To The Mirror,’ etc.); Who’s Next (‘Bargain,’ ‘My Wife,’ ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again,’); Quadrophenia (‘The Real Me’) and The Who By Numbers (‘Squeeze Box’).

But, back to your contention that the cymbal wash was absent from the WN period, I must point out that there are plenty of examples of the cymbal-wash style on Who’s Next—in fact, ‘Baba O’Riley’ is completely awash in cymbals (well, except for the snare rolls during the violin coda), as are ‘Going Mobile,’ the latter stages of ‘Bargain,’ and the pre-organ/synth break in WGFA. So to say it’s absent from the Glyn Johns era is simply not the case.

5. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

July 24, 1968 .... 50 years ago today .... a "British Invasion" show at Philly's JFK stadium comes to an end with Pink Floyd getting rained on and out .... the Troggs and headliners The Who are cancelled ....

THE COLONEL REMEMBERS: Pictures Of <strike>Lily</strike> Philly

(So did the "invasion" acts all go off somewhere and have a party?)

zphage likes this.
  6. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Bummer.

7. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Listening to this now again - is this the show where they learned last minute that they would have to play longer than normal, so they’d sent someone out to buy their records in order to quickly relearn a bunch of extra tunes to play onstage? I could have sworn that story was attached to these Fillmore gigs, but I can’t find a link to substantiate what I thought I’d read about that.

8. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I think your right but, don't know where the source is to verify.

9. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I can’t figure out which combination of words to use to even Google this. It’s kind of embarrassing to be almost completely positive about a fact but also almost completely unable to prove it, haha.

10. dee

dee Senior Member

If it is true it wouldn't make much sense to me as per the songs played as it is mostly a typical set list before and during that time at least in so far as what information is available for set lists around that time.

Surferghost likes this.
  11. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Something akin to that definitely occurred in '67 on their first American tour. As I recall, they specifically needed to brush up on A Quick One. Which they were now at liberty to play, to pad out their set. If memory is serving.

12. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

That was before Monterey. They were already not playing 30 minute sets in USA in early 68.

Chris M likes this.
  13. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

vitorbastos123 and dee like this.
  14. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

The Law Of Jones ..... today Sept. 16, was Kenney Jones' 70th birthday. :cheers:

15. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Possibly the wrong thread.... but hey! Happy (belated) Birthday Mr. Jones!

GoodKitty likes this.
  16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Long-bootlegged, This is an amazing release. The hand was on fire.

17. hallucalation

Philip Cohen says:
    July 26, 2018 at 15:24
    In answer to your question concerning “The Who Sell Out”, one Who album (though it’s not yet known which one!) will get the deluxe box treatment later this year. A friend who helped negotiations between Shel Talmy & Universal Music (to permit access to the 1965 multitracks and their remix for stereo) and who supplied the Shel Talmy DAT mono rough mixes for the “My Generation” boxed set, is again involved in the next boxed set. Last year, that friend bought a clean condition acetate of an early mix of “Whiskey Man” which contains the deleted harmony vocals during the passage “Two men dressed in white collected me two days ago. They say there’s only room for one and whiskey man musy go”. That harmony vocal (by Keith Moon) has not been accessable until now, because the multitrack for the song was mislaid/misplaced decades ago.

Small Faces / Ogdens’ Nut Gone Flake SIGNED 50th anniversary box sets | superdeluxeedition

White Fang? If so.. will stereo Substitute will be finally here? :laugh:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Direct from the Italian masters!

aoxomoxoa, Dave Hoos, mw1917 and 2 others like this.
  19. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

That sounds like A Quick One super deluxe box set!

Mark Wilson likes this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I would suggest not holding your breath.

beatleswho likes this.
  21. hallucalation

Sell Out most likely. But i'm fine if they tacked that Whiskey Man mix into bonus tracks. All their super deluxe editions are random anyway

anth67 likes this.
  22. hallucalation

23. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

Apologies if my question below has already been discussed. I’ve read a little bit and haven’t found the answer yet

Is the official release from the same night (I think I read that 2 nights were recorded?) as the common bootleg source? Or was the official release from the other night that was recorded?

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's a long thread to try to read through, eh?

The bootleg was drawn from both shows. The first half of the bootleg (Summertime Blues through Relax) came from the April 6th show, while the second half (A Quick One through My Generation) was from the 5th.

The official release is all from April 6th, so tracks 1-7 parallel the boot (except that Relax is not cut off as it is on the boot). The remainder of the tracks are different from the bootleg.

25. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize the boot was a combination of both nights. Learn something new every day.

Matthew Tate likes this.