The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

I am sure it will be part of the artwork for the album. I posted it because I remember it being discussed here if those 2 songs were played at the 2nd show.

Mark Wilson and dee like this.
  2. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The second CD of Live at the Fillmore East 1968 is entirely devoted to a 33-minute rendition of the Who's classic "My Generation," which culminates in "guitar-smashing and drum demolishment."

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I'm still skeptical of this 33-minute My Generation. There's no evidence on any bootlegs, from any era, of the Who jamming on a song for that long, ever. This is either the find of the century or a bunch of BS...

5. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Humm, I was thinking of maybe a combo of both nights' performances....
    Who ahoy!

6. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Maybe the "instrument smashing" goes on for 30 minutes :p

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

mw1917, Mark J and Dondy like this.
  8. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I am entirely confident that this will be what they say it will be, why would it be BS..

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

my guess is the instrument smashing and audience applause at the end last about 6 minutes or so

10. DrBeatle

That would seem more likely.

Because I've listened to hundreds of Who bootlegs spanning the years 1964-1978 and the longest My Generation they ever played was ~18 minutes, that was in the 1975/76 era, and that's counting the medley bits. As I said, this is the find of the century if it's legit. But I could also see it being a graft of both night's performances into one. That totally wouldn't surprise me. We shall see...

11. cookstown

cookstown Forum Resident

Assuming a 33 minute My Generation wasn't performed isn't it likely to be the 2 performances from both nights rather than some Frankenstein merger? Regardless I'm looking forward to blasting this out of the speakers.

Matthew Tate and DrBeatle like this.
  12. DrBeatle

Yeah, either one would seem more likely than a true 33-minute continuous version.

As I've said, I'd love to be proven wrong but I'll believe it when I see it.

13. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Not sceptical at all here. The evidence provided on the boot of the acetate from the two nights proves just how determined the band were to improvise. Wouldn't it be incredible to think that there are some guitar figures that would eventually form the major themes from "Tommy" in there at such an early stage? There isn't a great trove of material available from '68 against which to compare this either, but I would imagine that many of the provincial venues and High School auditoriums the band played at were far stricter on timings than Bill would have been at any of his venues.

I'd imagine that the last thing Bill Graham would want to do is stand at the side of the stage calling a halt to proceedings when both band and audience are hitting unassailable heights. And it's more likely that later shows didn't feature such extensive jamming because of the band's simple desire to "get on with it", harden the impact of their finale with stricter curfews in place (if they were) and get back to their various vices of the time.

Just getting more and more pumped here for this one!

14. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

The longest jam I'm aware of from that time is a 16-17 minute Young Man Blues from later in '68.

Maybe this My Generation is a huge medley incorporating a ton of other songs that are so far going unlisted. Silas Stingy might be in there somewhere! :D

Colinjpush, jlf, ODShowtime and 3 others like this.
  15. DrBeatle

I hope you're right! It's probably my paranoia at being burned by the Who so many times over the years that's causing to be skeptical. I hope I'm wrong.

16. DrBeatle

That's correct, I think it was in August 1968 when they did that one if I'm remembering correctly?

Supposedly they *DID* play "Silas Stingy" a few times on stage, I think during the UK dates at the end of '67/early '68.

Matthew Tate and Surferghost like this.
  17. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I'm not that bothered about disc two, a 33 minute My Generation sounds a bit tedious to me. Fingers crossed it is a medley & not 15 minutes of noise.

Disc one on the other hand I can't wait to get my hands on.

18. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

"The Who" have never burned me. Maybe Trinifold or Polydor or Universal have from time to time......... :sigh::cheers:

Recently, though (HDTracks), they've been doing us proud.

tdavis0903, DrBeatle and Surferghost like this.
  19. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Really? You mean if I ordered right now at over £10 it would still ring up as slightly over £5? How can that be?

20. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Yep, that's the one I'm thinking of. Fillmore West August 14, also includes a 13 minute Relax.

Exactly the same for me, the real selling point as far I'm concerned are the shorter numbers and that complete version of Relax. If the long My Generation is interesting, I'll consider that a bonus.

Edit: It would be genuinely cool if it were a medley, and they slipped some I Can See For Miles in there.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

That's not how it works. You pay the lowest price that they offered during the period from when you placed your order to the release date.
    If you order now for £10 and they lower the price next week to £8 and then it goes up to £10 again, you'll pay £8.

22. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

'Disaster struck when it was discovered that due to faulty equipment or human error only part of the first night was captured. Thankfully the second night was recorded and has now been fully restored and mixed by long time Who sound engineer Bob Pridden (who was responsible the band’s sound on those nights in 1968) from the original four-track tapes. For the 50th anniversary of these legendary shows, the unreleased recordings are to be issued on triple vinyl LP and double CD'.

It still doesn't explain why the first 2 songs from the 1st night aren't used to complete it.
    How did they not capture the first 2 if SB through to Relax is supposedly night 1?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Where does it say that songs from night 1 were used at all?

Colinjpush likes this.
  24. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

They don't charge you immediately for pre-orders on Amazon, they charge you at the time they ship. They will only charge you the lowest amount that they had it listed during the pre-order. If that lowest amount was just over 5 then that is what they would charge at the time of shipping. I think it's called the "Pre-Order Guarantee" or something along those lines where you always get the lowest price they charged no matter the price when you ordered.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

No. You pay the lowest price that was offered SINCE you placed your order. Not before.

andybeau, Jimijam, Bill Mac and 2 others like this.