The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

John Entwistle's Ox was recorded performing live at The Spectrum- March 5th 1975 for The King Biscuit Flower Hour.

I mention this because 1975 is perhaps my favorite year for live Who performances. The band put on some of the best shows ever , too bad no known multi-tracks exist - ??

aoxomoxoa, WhoTapes1 and footlooseman like this.
  2. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

John's tone was incredible, rich and full-bodied but I fear he'd be mixed to inaudibility even if multis did exist.

3. oates

oates Forum Resident

In the UK at least The Who were at their best in the smaller college venues. In 1970 and early 1971 they tended to play these gigs each weekend (not necessarily part of a structured tour). The reviews and audience reactions were always outstanding. A small minority of the shows were recorded by an audience member (and the usually poor sound quality is often still enough to discern that the performance is great). An even smaller number (Leeds, Hull) were professionally recorded, and are outstanding. Given that most UK gigs weren't recorded in any form, I suspect there were dozens of show equally as good as Leeds.

The recent book The Who - I Was There by Richard Houghton provides ample first hand evidence of how great The Who were at a lot of obscure or forgotten gigs during this period.
    The Who: I Was There

The book just makes me wish that they had recorded more shows at the time - and then had a more effective policy on releasing them intact!

4. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I just wish we could get a definitive understanding of just exactly WHAT Bob Pridden has stashed away. I just can't believe that, from his position and knowing how fond he was / is of the band and everything that they stood for as a live band, he didn't retain at least the odd few recordings as reference markers for the band from this time. Knowing how important the live incarnation of the band was to Pete and how he wanted to project themselves into the audience, surely he / they would have wanted to refer back?

Maybe just being there (the 5 including Bob) was enough of a reference point to go back to though......

5. Hiwatt

Hiwatt Active Member

I asked Bob this very question and even HE wasn't sure :)

6. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Along the lines of:

"I've got lots of recordings but I'm not sure what I have."

Or

"I'm not sure if I've got anything at all."

I never actually wanted to put him on the spot but guess I should have done.....

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  7. Hiwatt

Hiwatt Active Member

I think he maybe didn't want to elaborate too much?I didn't want to push either.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  8. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I would love to know how well the Paris ‘72 radio broadcast actually sounded coming across to the people in France actually listening to the radio that evening of the actual broadcast as compared to the supposedly high generation tape source recording of the broadcast that has circulated around for years.

9. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Good point. However, French radio b'cast of that era all sounded pretty dire, unfortunatelys; there are low gen. examples of Paris shows by The Stones in 1970, West, Bruce & Laing in 1973 or Robin Trower, also in 1973, and they all sound OK-ish at best. Sigh.

10. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Heck, even the sound quality of the French radio broadcast of The Who’s 5/17/79 Paris concert isn’t anything to write home about - even from low gen sources - still mono & bland sounding.

Benn Kempster and marc with a c like this.
  11. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Are these radio stations allowed to record the shows they air for possibly future
    repeats?
    I thought they were allowed to .......as many upgrades seem to appear from digital rebroadcasts on torrent sites .......but never any Who.
    Possibly they have the power to prevent it.
    Why have Capitol Radio in London never 're aired the Charlton and Swansea shows?

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Presumably it depends on the agreement.

Benn Kempster likes this.
  13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The 1969 Who Paris radio show was on AM radio. Was the 72 show on FM?

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  14. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Probably on AM as the sound quality is similar to the ‘69 broadcast you are referring to.

15. lp_zep

lp_zep Forum Resident

Private radio stations were mono AM only until 1981 (!) in France and most rock concerts were aired on private stations RTL and Europe 1.
    So the broadcast quality was quite poor, though the original recording may have been marginally better. The 69 Zeppelin tape, while weirdly recorded, sounds way better than an AM recording.
    The Who tapes from 70 (Europe 1) and 72 (RTL) have never surfaced from a pre-AM source as far as I know. They may not exist in the archives any more.
    If they did, they would still be mono.

16. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I got an e-mail from Amazon UK this morning to say my album was up for listening to on Amazon music & lo & behold, it is.

I'm A Boy, Substitute & My Generation are bonus tracks. I didn't get a chance to listen to it before I had to come into work unfortunately.

17. oates

oates Forum Resident

Not sure that this is the real thing, Mook. I noticed yesterday that Amazon UK are linking the official Fillmore East with this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fillmore-A...3433217&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Who+Fillmore+East

which appears to be a 'semi-legal', especially as "I'm A Boy", "Substitute" & "My Generation" are from Felixstowe 1966. The same company has also released a CD of Paris 1970.

zobalob, Benn Kempster and Mook like this.
  18. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Yeah, that's not the official release. Check the label, "RR Live Recordings". It aslo has a different cover. Don't know why Amazon links 2 different releases.

Matthew Tate and Mook like this.
  19. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Yeah, it had the whiff of 'too good to be true' about it.

Seems odd that Amazon would do that though, I hope I don't get a ropey bootleg CD in the post next week.

20. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

If I do.......... in the words of Owen Lars to his wife, Beru:

"There'll be hell to pay."

JuanTCB and Mook like this.
  21. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Got my Amazon Rip this morning. Sounding good!

Just read other Comments. Concerning. My Gen on the download is 9 mins.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

See above, doesn't look like this is the official version.

zobalob likes this.
  23. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I've just noticed the auto-rip email, disappointingly it's the bootleg I've had for years. Oh well, only another nine days for the "proper" one to drop onto my doormat,

zobalob likes this.
  24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

So, how does this new live show compare with Leeds?

25. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

We'll see when it's released. ;)