The Who in concert

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dudley07726, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

And those show are subpar in The Who catalogue. Two of them were during asporadic touring schedules and the other was the first night of the US tour. Yes Tanglewood was very good, but truth be told the best Who shows were sadly never captured on film.

marc with a c, jsayers and WhoTapes1 like this.
  2. Live at Hull is essential too

3. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Man, the way Moonie comes out on Heaven and Hell...still gives me goosebumps.
    Also, I always loved the way he looks when they introduce him and the light is on Roger at first...then cut to Moonie scratching his head and looking around like 'Huh?'. Love his humor.

4. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I grew up knowing a lot of The Who's stuff through my Parents record collection. I wasn't a big fan though, until I caught The Kids Are Alright on some station back in the late 90's. Moon's playing on 'I Can't Explain' is what got me going; just this young kid smashing the hell out of the skins with such zeal. Blew me away; still does.

beatleswho likes this.
  5. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

There's a great Fillmore East '68 show on Wolfgang's Vault. Not quite complete but pretty damned amazing.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  6. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

One of the interesting things about Keith is that he never played on a drum riser, as most drummers do so they can be seen better by the crowd. Moon was drummer-enough that he didn't need one.

Ryan Lux and WhoTapes1 like this.
  7. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

First witnessed The Who live in 1979, about a week after the tragedy in Cincinnati. Best rock & roll concert I ever attended. It was more than a show, it was an event.

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Available to view in multiple segments on youtube.

Isle of Wight 1969 is one of my favorite shows.

Just listen to Entwistle's bass on this clip and you will hear what really was the essence of The Who live.

9. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

1975 ,1976 tours and more the set list was allways the same........i take a look at some recordings from these tours the set list was the same and the runing order the same too

10. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Indeed, older fans who saw multiple shows on The Who's 1970 summer U.S. tour say that Tanglewood was the worst show of the lot, mainly because the band was absolutely worn out by then (Tanglewood being the last show of the tour).

keifspoon likes this.
  11. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

more entertaining tham Led Zeppelin ? its possible....but LZ was much more global band ..i think the who was never a supper band like LZ or Pink Floyd or U2 even Genesis Play 4 nights at wembley stadium.....

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

1975 is considered to be the peak of live performances by many Who fans.

Jet Age Eric and R. Cat Conrad like this.
  13. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

i Agree with that Dan Lampinski recordings are amazing

WhoTapes1 and reb like this.
  14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Oh hell no. Nothing against the Stones, but The Who on a great night in 69 - 70 tower over them on stage.

15. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

yes ,i allways think that after the Mick Taylor period the Stones were over.... and The Who after 1975 ..are almost finish in terms of Creativity

16. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

And thank god for that, because my 4REEL DVD no longer plays. :mad:

17. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Semantics aside, 1976. :hide: So said the Ox himself. :cool:

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

You have me thinking about that segment on one of the DVD's . ( Amazing Journey - ??) Where Townshend refers to Dreaming From The Waiste as a fresh turd. And then Entwistle is interviewed saying Dreaming was his favorite song to play live .......:laugh:......:uhhuh:

19. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Pete and John also disagreed famously on "Magic Bus". Love this clip:

marc with a c and reb like this.
  20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I can't imagine that in my wildest dreams. 76? He's dreaming.

21. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

During the first show of the 1975 tour, in Stafford, Keith actually played on a drum riser. But during the encore, "Punk and the Godfather", Pete stopped the song and said that he couldn't hear Keith. At the end of the show, Pete said:
    "Keith Moon said I made him look a right c**t and I do apologize.. This is the first show of the tour and the guitar was beltin' in my ear and the monitors aren't quite right, so I'm sorry Keith, I didn't mean any harm, honest". The next night, the drum riser was gone.

keef285 and marmil like this.
  22. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Maybe not. I've read many accounts by fans online and a few on this very site who saw the band in 1976 and they said they were incredible. Some even saying it was still the best concert they ever saw, this despite going to hundreds of shows since. Maybe he's dreaming....dreaming from the waist.

footlooseman likes this.
  23. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Saw Bruce, saw the Stones, saw Zeppelin all in their 70s prime. All great.

But the Who in 1980 (with Kenney Jones) blew them all away live. The loudest, angriest, thrashiest, tightest cleanest sounding show I ever saw. Can only imagine what it was like with Keith Moon. It was LOUD. But the mix was so good you didn't care.

I remember my buddy - a Van Halen freak - screaming in my ear in the middle of "5:15" . . . "This is un f@#$ing believable!".

Yes it was.

24. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

There isnt much to listen actually LOL Pete doenst seem to want to release any other Moon era tour live album.

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Live Who were great, but these guys, in their prime, came very close. Which is saying A LOT.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.