The Who It's Hard original version vs. remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

I found an original It's Hard CD today and it sounds great! I think I prefer it over the remaster. Anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The It's Hard reissue is a remix. There is no remaster of the original mix.

3. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Are the Warner Bros, Polydor and MCA non-remix CD's the same?:confused:

4. aoxomoxoa

I realize that. Sorry I should have been more specific. I actually meant remix, not remaster.

5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

It's a bit revisionist, I know, but I like how they cleaned up the doubled vocal on the first chorus of "Eminence Front" on the remixed version. I always winced when I heard what sounded like a mistake to me on the original. It just sounds "right" to me on the remix.

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Not sure but I think they are. I can't be bothered to compare various issues of It's Hard :laugh:

Clarkophile likes this.
  7. aoxomoxoa

Well, La-De-Da

Remy and Fullbug like this.
  8. LesPaul666

I know, right?;)

I have the original WB CD and it sounds pretty good. The remix version is nice, fresh perspective once in a while.

I saw them on this tour and it was a fabulous show.:righton:

Pete started bouncing his Schecter Telecaster off the ground a few times, and we were screaming to him to smash it, and he picks it up and says "Almost!"...

What a gyp.:laugh:

9. I started a thread comparing EAC levels of various CD pressings of IT'S HARD (in particular to see if there were differences between the Target versions) but the thread is now apparently gone :(

10. aoxomoxoa

I couldn't find anything on It's Hard. I realize it is not a favorite of Who fans but i still think it is an important part of the Who canon.

BDC likes this.
  11. LesPaul666

The remix CD's are the same worldwide. If someone wants to post EAC for the original Polydor, MCA and/or Targets, I can post the log for the U.S. Warner disc.

12. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I would like to see them revisit some of the songs on that album like "Athena".

Classicolin likes this.
  13. aoxomoxoa

I mean if you think about it, it was a damn fine album!
    Athena
    Eminence Front
    Ive Known No War
    Dangerous
    Cry If You Want

These are all great songs!

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

"Athena" is a great song that hints at what could have been. I also like "Eminence Front" and "It's Your Turn," but the pickings get pretty slim after that.

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. rodstone

rodstone Forum Resident

I prefer the live version of Eminence Front included as a bonus track on the remaster to the studio version. I'd choose the remaster just for that.

16. aoxomoxoa

I remember when that Toronto broadcast was put out live on FM radio simulcast as it happened. I actually made a primitive cassette recording. I was about 13 years old and a mega Who fan!! I was surprised when it was included on the cd!

17. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Cassette? you were lucky. I recorded mine on 8 Track. :D

18. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

There are several differences between the original CD and the '97 CD:
    All info courtesy of Brian Cady's Liner Notes.
    http://www.thewho.net/linernotes/It'sHard.htm

IT'S YOUR TURN 3'39
    The 1997 re-mix adds an echo to Roger's voice at the conclusion of the song that wasn't present in the original version.

COOKS COUNTY 3'44 (1997 CD 3'52)
    The ending of the version on the 1997 CD is extended by 8 seconds from the original fadeout and an echo is put on Roger's "people are suffering...people are hungry" towards the end.

IT'S HARD 3'47
    The 1997 CD version lacks a guitar "fix up" in Pete's opening solo that was in the original.

DANGEROUS 3'15 (1997 CD 3'35)
    On the 1997 CD version of It's Hard there is a reprise of the bass/organ duet from 1'13 to 1'28 that was cut on the original and an echo is added to Roger's voice starting at 2'26 that wasn't in the original mix.

EMINENCE FRONT 5'39
    (As mentioned) A mistake in Pete's vocals at 2'38 on the original was corrected on the 1997 version and his vocal was centered in the mix instead of hard right as it was in the original. John's bass line on the 1997 version is from a different take and is mixed higher. Also note the audio track for the video of this song uses a different take (better lead guitar IMHO).

I'VE KNOWN NO WAR 5'45 (1997 CD 5'56)
    In the original mix, the strings are barely audible on the fadeout but are mixed full on the 1997 CD version.

WHY DID I FALL FOR THAT 3'18 (1997 CD 3'56)
    The 1997 CD keeps the song going another 38 seconds past the point where the original mix faded out.

A MAN IS A MAN 3'48 (1997 CD 3'56)

CRY IF YOU WANT 4'35 (1997 CD 5'18)
    In the original version, Kenney's martial-style drumming doesn't begin until 35 seconds into the song. On the 1997 CD it has been extended back to the beginning of the song. That CD's version also extends the ending another 43 seconds for some more Townshend power chords.

TheOx

19. aoxomoxoa

Leave it to The Ox to give us the real scoop! :righton:

20. dee

dee Senior Member

Cry If You Want, Eminence Front, and Athena are my favorite Townshend songs on the album.

I remember when that Toronto broadcast was put out live on FM radio simulcast as it happened. I actually made a primitive cassette recording. I was about 13 years old and a mega Who fan!!

Me too, Aox. I stll have that cassette. Will have to compare it to the cd's, :winkgrin:.

21. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Hence, imo, destroying the song. I was mortified when I first heard that. Thankfully, I have my original cd, and like Face Dances, the only one I play.

Jackgamer1234 likes this.
  22. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Here are EAC peak levels for the Japanese Target:

85.8/79.2/79.0/80.4/76.7/77.6/77.2/66.9/68.9/100.0/71.7/66.6

Have fun guys :wave:

23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Here are the EAC levels for the US WB (23731-2):

85.8 - 79.2 - 79.0 - 80.4 - 76.7 - 77.6 - 77.2 - 66.9 - 68.9 - 100 - 71.7 - 66.6.

Looks like a match!

24. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I'd agree that this album is not to be dismissed, but in terms of the songs that I would choose to listen to over the others, it would be:

I've Known No War (c'mon now, this has everything that makes up a good Who song! Listen to Daltrey belt out those vocals)
    It's Your Turn (Good Entwistle tune performed well by the band; Jones' drumming almost sounds like Moon at times to me)
    Cooks County (ok, so sue me... it sounds a bit daft I suppose, but I find it catchy)

Entwistle also submits the decent "Dangerous" and "One at a Time" also. And though it would have been much better suited on a Townshend solo album, "A Man is a Man" is a really nice song as well.

That all said, I didn't know the album well enough to notice the differences in the remix. :) I let the vinyl sit for years, thinking it was a horrid album, but I found I liked much of it when the remixed CD was released.

25. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I agree this album is better than its rep. Sure it's no Who's Next, but few albums are. While I don't think the remix/remaster is bad, I prefer the sound of the original cd. And I say that without any bias in favor of the original mix. I never owned this album until I bought the remix/remaster, so that was the first version I ever heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.