The Who Live at Leeds 3LP (Content, Pressing and Sound Quality Issues Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cookstown, Sep 28, 2016.

1. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Can somebody remind me. Isn't there a theory that the My Generation on Leeds has been edited so that one song snipped was removed? If true, was it ever released in full and if so, where.

I do regret selling my old vinyl British version with all of the inserts. But then again it did have those famous crackling noises; and I do not mean ratty vinyl.

boboquisp likes this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Young Man Blues, Shakin' All Over, My Generation, and Magic Bus have always been edited to varying degrees on all official releases.

The Live At Leeds Complete bootleg has them all unedited.

3. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Guess I need to track down those 4 cuts. How is the quality on the boot compared with the official releases?

I am a big fan of the HD Tracks version of this album (think I bought it on your recommendation if I recall).

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not as good as the 2014 remix, but still quite good. It's possible to edit in the missing portion of Young Man Blues fairly seamlessly.

J_D__ likes this.
  5. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

This has been my experience too. Even my B2B picture discs are good.

6. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I appreciate the actual reviews. Definitely thinking of picking this up. I do hope the Who give Odds and Sods this treatment on vinyl sometime in the future, and not just keep recycling things. Just my little wish.

7. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

How bout some pics and solid reviews please? :)

Rich C and chacha like this.
  8. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

This thread is now only for discussion of Content, Pressing and Sound Quality Issues!

If you want to discuss Pricing and Shipping issues there is now a separate thread which took me over an hour to move the 247 posts (That's 10 Pages) across, so NO shipping or pricing posts here please.

The Who Live at Leeds 3LP (Pricing and Shipping Thread)

9. cookstown

cookstown Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just played the first 2LPs, I was never a big fan of the original but I'm absolutely loving this. It seems to want to be played loud. Everything is very clear in the mix with a good holographic image.

J_D__, Tommyboy, chacha and 3 others like this.
  10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

It's fabulous isn't it?

This is now my go to for this concert, I can see myself listening to the full show more often now that we have this vastly improved sounding version over the awful Deluxe Edition from 2002.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes, amazing. Just two condons changing (ON ==> TO) makes such a difference in the quality of the pressing.

It's shows the fragility of the vinyl mastering chain.

12. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Gave my copy a good clean today and then a first listen: a lovely sounding set and recommended ... any tips on protective sleeves for a set of this width?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    johnnybrum likes this.
  13. My go to digital copy.

14. this new 3lp issue sounds absolutely fabulous to my ears

major improvement compared to the 2cd deluxe edition (2001 was it, right?)

Vinyl_Blues and hodgo like this.
  15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I don't have the boot. Were the overdubs "warranted"?

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 1970 ones? I don't think they were necessary, if that's what you mean.

Tommyboy likes this.
  17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yup, the 1970 overdubs

18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The 2002 version of Live at Leeds is the most awful sounding recording I've ever heard.

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ever? Nah

Vinyl_Blues, Mazzy and Tommyboy like this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I should clarify. I've heard two of the original parts:

- original backing vocals to Happy Jack, which are on the mono mix on From Lifehouse to Leeds
    - original Roger vocal at the start of See Me Feel Me during My Generation, which is side by side with the overdubbed vocal on Live At Leeds Complete

The original vocals are a bit more ragged than the overdubs, but I don't think the overdubs were necessary.

There were other overdubs, like the backing vocals on My Generation, and probably songs like I Can't Explain as well, but I've never heard mixes of those with the original vocals.

Bernard hansen and Tommyboy like this.
  21. Worse than Piano Man. :tiphat:

22. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Got mine today. Vinyl was visibly dirty, but after a good cleanin' it sounds fantastic for me. Best Who release since VFABP for my money.

RiRiIII likes this.
  23. search&destroy

search&destroy Well-Known Member

arrived saturday.....the best version i have heard. very quiet vinyl. a rockin' good time to be had by all.

Bernard hansen likes this.
  24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Gave all three Lp's a spin on Saturday. Man these Lp's smoke when you crank up the volume.
    You can really turn it up, if the neighbors are cool with it. My download card did not work.
    I emailed to complain, and was told:

Angela (Push Entertainment)

Dec 5, 06:55 GMT

Hi - thank you for contacting us.

I am very sorry but there has been a delay in us obtaining the audio for this title from the record label.
    We hope to receive it in the next few days. If you have already validated a unique code the album should
    appear in your 'my downloads' section as soon as it becomes available.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the wait.

Kind regards
    Support

cookstown and Bernard hansen like this.
  25. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Got my £13 bargain after all, just checking it out. Classic Records still smokes it but I am not complaining for the price I paid. All these new records seem to be cut so quiet can anyone explain why this could be so.