The Who: Maximum A's & B's (5CD Box Set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Hmmmm... Wouldn't have thought there enough A. & B sides to fill 5cd's. No detail at Amazon. Just have to wait.

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I agree. no way they have enough singles to fill 5 cd's. maybe 3 and part of a 4th

4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Label: "Commercial Marketing"; Hmm. I sense piracy.

Muzyck and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

I recently burned a 2 CD set of the UK A's & B's from 1965-1978 & there's a bit of space left over - I can't see them filling 5 CD's up, 3 maybe 4 possibly.
    We'll see I guess.

DrBeatle likes this.
  6. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazon early listings often say Commercial Marketing. Not sure why.

Matthew Tate and bhazen like this.
  7. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

My homemade WHO SINGLES comp is 4 roughly 60 minute discs. Maybe there are some additional mix differences or singles configurations from around the world to pad out to 5 discs?

Or maybe Amazon has listed the wrong number of discs?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Matthew Tate and Kevin55 like this.
  8. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Maybe it's 5 CD-Singles? (I certainly hope not, for that price!)

gregorya and clhboa like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've been meaning to compile The Who singles myself, but don't have Dogs (Part 2) on anything except the original 45, which is in fab condition. I am also missing some mono mixes on CD, which again, I do have on vinyl in nice condition (the Shel Talmy era, I've Been Away).

I must learn how to do needledrops. I don't know where to start!

10. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Curious as well. Would be nice to have all the A and B + alternate takes, etc.

izgoblin likes this.
  11. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

My US Singles Collection is 4 discs:

Disc One: I Can't Explain through Magic Bus (60:24)
    Disc Two: Pinball Wizard through The Relay (68:51)
    Disc Three: Love Reign O'er Me through 5:15 (68:39)
    Disc Four: You Better You Bet through It's Not Enough (63:40)

My disc four goes through the It's Hard singles and then adds "Real Good Looking Boy", "Old Red Wine", the "Wire and Glass" Mini Opera (which technically wasn't a US release I believe), and the "It's Not Enough" (remix).

I'm sure that they'll add "Be Lucky" to this new set as well...and maybe it won't be a definitive UK or US collection and just one big set that combines a number of countries and singles...

There's a number of unique single edits that I hope that they get correct....

Sean, npgchris, turnersmemo and 2 others like this.
  12. DetroitDoomsayer

Ours are nearly the same, but I based mine on the UK singles discography. If they get this right, I'll gladly part with my homemade.

The other nice thing they could do is replace the currently available CD remixes with the original album mixes.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I would hope that they would use the Japanese SHM remasters, when applicable. Otherwise, I can't see them using any type of remixed audio for this type of set -- which is archival (but leave it to The Who, right?).

Hopefully they can find the single masters for all of the unique audio...and I'll be the first to ask if everyone thinks that "Waltz for a Pig" will be included.

Sean and Man at C&A like this.
  14. DetroitDoomsayer

@mikeja75

I didn't mean to imply that they would use remixes for the singles box, though we are all aware that The Who have screwed stuff up in the past. I think even the recent 7" box sets had errors, didn't they?

I was just thinking that it would be nice to finally, somewhat, standardize the catalog by making the CDs the original masters/mixes like they did with the current vinyl reissues.

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Since it's not really a Who recording I hope not

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

17. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

If they use the true single masters I'm in on this.

18. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Just to give you a headache, I'll recap the screw-up that was The 1st Singles Box from 2004, where 10 out of the 24 tracks had problems.

1: Wrong version of "Circles". Instead of the original B-side of "Substitute", they used the earlier Talmy-version ("Instant Party") - and a noisy needledrop to boot, recorded onto a STEREO tape (the left channel wobbles).

2: "In The City" is not only not the MONO single mix, but is listed as "Original Stereo Version", which is also wrong. It is actually the narrow 1995 STEREO remix from the 1995 Edition of A Quick One. It was originally released in STEREO in Japan on the 1967 I'm A Boy album, which should be seen as the original STEREO mix. That mix wasn't available on CD until the 2006, when I'm A Boy was released on CD in Japan.

3: "Happy Jack" is not the MONO single mix, but a FAKE STEREO version.

4: "I've Been Away" is not the MONO single mix, but the same STEREO mix that turned up on the 1995 Edition of A Quick One, which some claim is an original 1966 mix previously unissued before then.

5: "I Can See For Miles" is not the MONO single mix, but the STEREO album version.

6: "Someone's Coming" is not the MONO single mix, but the US MONO mix as found on Magic Bus.

7: "Dogs Part Two" is not the MONO single mix, but the STEREO remix from the "secret" 2003 Edition of A Quick One.

8: "I Don't Even Know Myself" is missing the count-in from the original single (OK, that's minor, but still).

9: "5:15" is listed as "Single Edit" on the digital edition, but it is not edited from the actual single version/mix, but rather the 1996 My Generation: The Very Best Of The Who remix (which is also on the 1996 Quadrophenia, but with the train station intro). Not only that, but the channels are reversed (like the Canadian MCA version of My Generation: The Very Best Of The Who), and 1:32 to 2:03 (the first chorus) is simply edited out.

10: "Who Are You" is listed as "Single Edit" on the digital edition, but it is the 2004 edit as featured on Then And Now. This almost mimics the UK single version, but the actual edit comes in a bit later (exactly on the "Aaah" before "Who the f*** are you"), and is edited from the original album mix.

Maybe someone can make a similar list for the recent 7" box sets too?

Jimmy B., swampwader, Rock66 and 14 others like this.
  19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

With any luck, maybe we will get some more alternate versions of tracks on this. :uhhuh:

20. DetroitDoomsayer

Why would DOGS Pt 2 be on a 2003 A QUICK ONE (1966)?
    DOGS Pt 2 was the b-side of PINBALL WIZARD (1969)

PatrickG and aoxomoxoa like this.
  21. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Would a collection of every track released as a single worldwide be enough to fill five discs?

22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I was going to inquire about that myself.

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Let's wait for superdeluxeedition to fill us in.

marc with a c, Sean and qtrules like this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is hard to imagine The Who getting this right. The concept is intriguing, but with so many different mixes, and with the band's track record of releasing incorrect mixes and versions time and time again, it will be surprising if they can pull this off.

25. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Duplicating tracks on CD and DVD and /or Blu Ray in a set (perhaps with a few videos to boot) could easily make 2-3 audio CDs of content into 5 "discs." Pure speculation of course, but look how many sets out there cross formats and do this nowadays.

npgchris and Mark Wilson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.