The Who-Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

This seems like a good time to remind everyone: fake stereo is bad unless we're talking about the Beatles' US albums. In the case of the Beatles the fake stereo is authentic and the 'original' mix.

Now back to The Who.

2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

My UK original is not laminated. Does the reissue LP have the UK or the US cover?

3. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

The fake stereo didn't bother me in 1977 so why should it bother me now? I have been enjoying fake stereo all feffing day long thank you very much!

4. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Interesting thread. I have the new MBB&B vinyl reissue but not the Live At Leeds reissue. To sum up then this MBB&B reissue matches the old vinyl version including fake stereo tracks? The cd version which I have is a different version of the original vinyl record using different sources (I like the cd overall).
    Just a quick explanation what is fake stereo and why was it ever used (I guess it is something to do with only a mono tape being available so an engineer plays about with it to make it sound like stereo)?
    Just checked good old Wikipedia and Duophonic is the Capitol trade name for fake stereo.

ODShowtime and dee like this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The MCA CD was compiled from various sources, replacing fake stereo with mono and true stereo, as well as substituting some different versions and mixes. This LP matches the original LP.

And yes, for a time it was felt that if a true stereo mix was not available, a "stereo" version was still necessary, so fake stereo was created. In the case of MBBB, I don't think any fake stereo was newly created for the album in 1971, but existing fake stereo sources were utilized.

dee, Flaming Torch and superstar19 like this.
  6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks.

7. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

The totally different version of I'm a boy is the crown in the jewel here.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's nice to have an alternate version, but aside from the fake stereo, not including the superior single version is the only disappointing thing about MBB&B for me.

9. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

Well, when it came out I didn't mind much as I had the original version. The same goes for the Magic Bus version on that album.

dee and Man at C&A like this.
  10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The Meaty version of "I'm a Boy" was the first version I heard. I still consider it superior to the single version.

fmfxray373 and Man at C&A like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I heard the MBB&B Magic Bus first and the single of I'm A Boy first and they are my favourite versions. I like the Meaty version of I'm A Boy but it's never seemed right to me that it includes such a radically different version of one of their biggest hits on a singles compilation. All these years later and we're still getting Who singles compilations with the wrong versions (the recent Singles box set)

John Bliss likes this.
  12. dee

dee Senior Member

Hearing the UK Track A//1 B//1 '71 LP by Porky Pecko. It's a pretty good listen for me, largely due to the tonality of it, and of course the material. The fake stereo on Happy Jack doesn't bother me. I actually like the tonality, and phony spread of it, and fwiw it seems to me a rather 'subtle form of fake stereo' ;), and I like it, However the TKAA, in mono, leans left of center and is not a good listen for me, though the actual sound of the audio seems fine to me, the imaging is messed up on it and on headphones it's no good. ICSFM in true stereo sounds relatively 'smooth' here to my ears. Lily seems a little more obvious than HJ with the fake stereo, but again, the tonality of it here is pleasing to me and the fake stereo imaging to my ears is OK and at least beats that of the 'misaligned' mono track of TKAA. MG starts off sounding fine to me though then it spreads a little left and there seems a volume increase with it too. Still sounds alright, to me, but it's one more inconsistency to hear in the listening process. The Seeker is smooth too. Overall, Side 1 of this record 'sounds' good to my ears, and I was lucky to get a quiet, clean player of it, but due to the source tapes used there's always going to be some issues with it, as so, so it's great to have Steve Hoffman's cd of MBBAB. Fwiw, not worth it to me for a reissue with the same issues as I actually like the 'sound' of the UK Track and the audio sources Steve Hoffman put together for the cd. I'm good with the vinyl and cd on this one and the 2007 Japan cd I have is no match in source tapes and channel imaging to the Hoffman one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.