The Who - My Generation Super Deluxe Edition box set coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Sep 13, 2016.

1. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Bring it on.

Sean and tages like this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Can't Explain, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere and their b-sides and vintage unused/alternate mixes as well?

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm not aware of these at all! Are they affordable and easily available in the UK? They sound great.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My guess is it will be the same singles and outtakes that were first issued in 2008 in the Japanese box. If there are further mono masters beyond those 23 songs (no tape for the master take of Circles), I'm not aware of them.

Out of print, Japanese limited editions. So...good luck.

5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

An album by The Who reissued? About time!:D

jupiter8, goodiesguy, Sean and 5 others like this.
  6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I'd be more excited about a Who By Numbers Super Deluxe.

7. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I was hoping for another Greatest Hits package. They could call it WHO 52. But only if there is at least one song listed as the original mix remastered, but really a very slightly different mix, that has never been released, and we have to figure out which one it is.

JohnO, goodiesguy, PH416156 and 8 others like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's were the problem lies! It's not going to happen. The only Japanese CD in my collection is The Who Rarities Vols 1&2.

9. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

Maybe they have unearthed The Detour's recording of It Was You

goodiesguy, Hep Alien, Sean and 4 others like this.
  10. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

There's the mono mix of Instant Party that was only on the 2014 iTunes version of the mono My Generation. But doing a side by side with the 2014 stereo mix, I don't think its a 1965 mix (they line up too well!).

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My guess is that was a modern remix.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  12. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Aye! Oh well at least we may get something new to ponder. Feels like an age since the 2014 downloads came out!

dee likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i'll keep any eye out for details

dee likes this.
  14. pool_of_tears

Oh heck yeah! 1975 remix, 1996 remix, any possible outtakes, Pete's demos, the band version of Blue, Red & Grey, etc.
    And a live recording...Swansea or Charlton 1976?

15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Totally agree.

I remember reading in Mojo about 10 years ago or so that a Deluxe Edition for By Numbers was being produced. It never materialized, but one can hope that some session reels were located, and it is easy to assume that Swansea was going to be released as part of the set.

Hep Alien, Dave Hoos, reb and 2 others like this.
  16. pool_of_tears

@WhoTapes1 has said in this forum the 1976 Charlton show was recorded but there were malfunctions or something like that. My hope would be for the recording to be salvaged, as that very show is significant :)

WhoTapes1 and Jet Age Eric like this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Yes. I wish a US release this one you have would materialize. The price is too high for me, and I want to complete that period.

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Or they discarded it like Oval '71 in another effort to break our hearts.

St. Troy, marc with a c and WhoTapes1 like this.
  19. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I ALMOST got that one, but thankful I didn't. You're making count my blessings now.

My go-to for this album is the 2014 hi-res mono HDTracks/iTunes download. As I said in the other thread:

High Numbers stuff (like a GENUINE High Numbers "Leaving Here", for example...) and/or previously unreleased BBC sessions that aren't already out there and easily available may be the very things that pull me in. Ironically, I'm trying to get a 6-string Rickenbacker, so I don't need any distractions. The Stones already did enough of that with their mono box!

In other words: I must see a track listing before I commit.

Maybe this may be the place to discuss it (@lukpac perhaps you can help me?): The 30 Years of Maximum R&B box and every download of that take of "Leaving Here" claims it was recorded by the group when they were known as The High Numbers. Andy Neill and Matt Kent's book Anyway Anyhow Anywhere: The Complete Chronicle of The Who 1958-1978 claims that that version of "Leaving Here" is not a High Numbers-era recording, but rather a recording for inclusion on the original first album. Is it, in fact, a first album outtake? If so, was "Leaving Here" EVER recorded by the group while they were known as The High Numbers?

St. Troy and Hep Alien like this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's a Talmy track, no question about it. Recorded April 12-14, 1965 for the shelved debut LP. I have absolutely no idea why anyone thought it was a High Numbers track.

St. Troy, tedg65, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  21. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Cheers. Any info on the version that's on all reissues of Odds and Sods?

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The acetate version? I'm not sure about that one.

23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I think that 2011 SACD which is out of print, but was reprinted in a budget reissue series in 2014 and is still in print
    My Generation [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release] The Who SACD ยป stems from the same transfers done for the 2012 Collectors Edition box. I cannot confirm that unfortunately but @lukpac helped me earlier and I believe feels this is possibly the case. I do have the 2014 shm-sacd and it is very good and yards better than the EU Mono CD which definitely sounds like it has added tape generations by comparison.

This is noted in the liner notes of the shm-sacd "Contains UK original mono version, which features the 2005 96kHz/24bit mastering based on UK original master tape, and remix stereo version, which features 2003 DSD mastering based on the US master produced by MCA."

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    vudicus and lukpac like this.
  24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

You just saved yourself some more money. No purchase on the PT remasters, no Career Box Set. Do you plan on buying the My Generation Box . What would make you want to buy this??

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The demos, I suppose.