The Who - New Box Set for 2015?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marc with a c, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Nice looking set, although I have no interest in anything after the last ~75% of disc 4.

PIGGIES likes this.
  2. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Looks nice & I'll probably pick it up at some point, but like many others here I have most of these tracks a gazillion times over, so I'm in no hurry.

turnersmemo, DrBeatle and Rne like this.
  3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I'll buy it.
    Why not?
    I'm old.
    Not sure how many more years I have left to piss away coin on Who stuff.

You know, the wife's gonna go crazy and ask "why do you buy the same songs over and over again?" :agree:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  4. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

I like that the box itself shares its design with the Studio Albums vinyl box set. But yeah, there's no real reason to buy it if you already own the various deluxe editions, Who's Missing/Two's Missing and any Greatest Hits compilation.

5. Anthony Genzale

Anthony Genzale Forum Resident

Why am I not the least bit surprised? Oh well, the needledrops I made years ago of "Dancing" and "Bony Maronie" from the 12-inch single still sound fine to me. I don't own any of the singles box sets, but if any of the tracks on this newest box are an upgrade from what I already have, I look forward to buying them as individual (lossless) files from 7 digital. I don't expect it will set me back much.

6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting the picture and track listing.

It's an inexpensive boxset, so I pre-ordered from Amazon UK.

7. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

And what about if you already own all of the vinyl single boxsets which this basically replicates?

8. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

I'd say the chances that the CD box set does NOT have the exact same content as the vinyl single box sets are minimal.

marc with a c likes this.
  9. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

The CDs would be easier to play in the car....

Mark J and Jet Age Eric like this.
  10. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Is there only one officially released version of The Seeker live?

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

There are a number of live versions from 2006 and 2007 from the Encore Series concert releases, plus there was one on the recent Hyde Park release from 2015.

jonboy71 likes this.
  12. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I should have also stated, "outside of official bootlegs." I've hard so many horrid reviews of Hyde Park, I don't even want to consider that version. I'm just shocked they haven't released an earlier version.

13. PacificOceanBlue

The band was far from its prime in 2015, but I don't think Hyde Park is horrid. Hyde Park's "Relay" is generally well performed and arranged, with only Daltrey's somewhat odd vocal approach to the high vocals on the word "high" being a bit jarring.

14. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident Thread Starter

Having heard a lot of 2015 shows, I believe that while Hyde Park can be enjoyable, its potentially my least favorite show of that tour.

Tampa 2015 could've been pretty good with a spit shine - you get both Slip Kid and A Quick One, and that odd complacency hadn't set in yet.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

That I cannot speak to. It certainly would not be the first time a band captured a concert for a live project from a less-desirable part of tour and I would not be surprised if there were superior 2015 concerts. I remember when Hyde Park was released; I had zero interest in it and never considered acquiring it. Then I saw a portion of it in passing on TV and was very surprised and impressed at the overall quality of the performance (the same thing happened with the Quadrophenia-Live In London DVD performance; came across it on TV). I suppose I should not have doubted The Who; even as they head towards retirement, they still can deliver a very good show.

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Hyde Park was released because it was a high profile gig and management thought it would sell. Roger, as we found out after the fact. Was suffering from viral meningitus, which affected his performance. IMO, Who management should not have released Hyde Park. As noted above, its near the bottom of the 2015 shows. On the other hand, I believe they were aware of the negative reaction many fans had to this release. Thus , Townshend vowed that he and Roger would be back in 2016 and they'ed put on a show everyone would remember. And sure enough, Townshend kept his word. They returned in 2016 and from all accounts , the reports on this forum and around the web have been mostly very positive.

17. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Finally finished this thread, and think I deserve a medal!

As this is now a general Who thread (no bad thing IMO) does anyone know which mix/master has Jimmy Page's solo on Bald Headed Woman the loudest? So far I've checked a few and the mono seems louder than the stereo on the Super Deluxe...

It's a great solo and it'd be great to hear it more prominent in the mix

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

So, did this 2015 box set become the 5 CD Maximum A & B box?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

:shrug:

I don't *think* so, but with the Who, who the hell knows? (<-- see what I did there?)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Well the box set as originally envisaged had live stuff by the High Numbers so I would guess not.

Matthew Tate, marmil and DrBeatle like this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

The 2015 box set appears to have been simply aborted. The band subsequently released the My Generation box and Maximum A&B boxes, but those appear to be different projects entirely, not replacements. IIRC, the rumored content for the 2015 box was going to be a mixture of masters and rarities. Any rarities the band accumulated for the 2015 box remain unreleased.

22. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

According to Whitefangy, there were going to be several “holy ****” reactions when we would get our first look at the track listing for that 2015 box set. I wonder what in the hell happened?

Matthew Tate and DrBeatle like this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Someone realized the “stereo” Substitute is bogus?

24. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Oh my! Not according to his YouTube video on his “stereo” Substitute! lol!

DrBeatle and marmalade166 like this.
  25. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Where is he posting these days?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.