The Who O2 Arena, London. March 23rd. 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by optoman, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It wasn't The Who that you saw optoman. This is The Who:

[​IMG]

ghostdwg likes this.
  2. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

The review posted above sounds like it was a great show.

I have been to the O2 once (my daughter was singing there) I wouldn't bother again, even for half of The Who.

3. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Your Dreaming From The Waist pal....

4. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Does anyone really think this is their last tour?!!! C'mon, they've been on last tour for about 20 years now:)

5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

They haven't been 70 for 20 years

ARK likes this.
  6. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

The O2 is a soulless place, seeing them at Glastonbury would have been a completely different experience.
    I avoid anything bigger than 5k these days, the sound is terrible or too loud or both, it's better
    to watch a DVD at home.
    These venues aren't made for music, unlike the Royal Festival Hall, they are made for money.
    The O2 was built as an exhibition centre originally.

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Actually it's 32 years and change since the "Farewell" tour. :)

I really do get the impression that Pete hates it. Maybe not the performance itself, but everything else related to touring (including rehearsing).

8. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I agree. He hates traveling.

9. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

True, but I bet 20 years ago the idea of Paul McCartney The Who and The Stones still touring in their 8th decades would seem proposterous to most. I do wonder how far these acts can push their endurance and peoples expectations... will any be touring at 80? 85? 90?. I can't wait to find out!

10. erocky

erocky Senior Member

After reading this, I would like to see them again!

This is still the Who in my book! Saw them in 2013 do Quadrophenia and it was pretty awesome. Daltrey had trouble with some of the high notes but I still really enjoyed it. I just don't understand the hate for them touring without John and Keith on here. Why? Is it some elitist, quit when you are young crap? It's rock music that these guys are playing, not rocket science. They seem to have resigned themselves to not really making new music and that is ok too. I did like a good bit of Endless Wire though.

11. erocky

erocky Senior Member

Pete Townshend loves to perform. You look at that guys history and he has been in front of an audience nearly every year of his career. It's just what he does. He has played a few thousand gigs in his life.

12. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

13. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Thanks! and back to original post - two days later and my ears are still ringing!

14. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Given the above ...

... I think this is the issue. This is why I don't bother to see classic rock bands any more, and the only reason I still see The Who is because I'm willing to buy the crazy stupid expensive seats so the experience ISN'T lost in the venue. I was in the first 10 rows or better on the last two tours and it was an absolute thrill (and will be again this year). I've no doubt I'd've been frustrated had I been midway back in the wings (and that's not to take anything away from the hundreds of thousands of people who enjoy these shows from all points within the arean). -E

bobcat and fmfxray373 like this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The many interviews and press conferences to announce Who tours over the "Who Two" period almost always include gripes from Pete about travelling, rehearsing, hotel rooms, etc. And of course the wear and tear live performance inflicts on his sensitive hearing. Roger, on the other hand, is perpetually ready to get out there.

Who'sTommy likes this.
  16. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Wow. I just watched the saddest thing I've seen in years. YouTube clips of "The Who" (note quotes) at the O2 Arena in London last week. Ok, first of all, why the hell do they need three (REALLY? Three?) keyboard players on stage with them? Second, poor Roger Daltrey looks like he's going to topple over at any second. He's so top heavy and out of breath. I mean, bloody hell, we all get older and the years can be unkind, but he's aged dramatically in less than 10 years. I wouldn't give two whoots about his appearance if he still sang well. It sounds painful. I mean, he's smiling and seems to be having a good time, but I feel sorry for him. Am I being too harsh? You tell me.

Ok, now if you want to cut Roger some slack and say, well, this was near the end of the show, maybe he'd run out of gas by then and it's a really challenging song to sing on the best night, but Substitute, which I think is second song in set, is so bad it nearly made me cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9bb8C2mcds

C'mon! Someone needs to tell these guys it's over. It's like watching a punch drunk fighter trying to stay on his feet. Sad.

Some of you might think I'm kidding. I'm not. I love this band. Their music means the world to me.

I've read so many rave reviews and I can't imagine what people were hearing. Maybe they got caught up in the moment and it was all nostalgia. I mean, this is just awful.

Someone make them stop, please.

Love,
    Billy

GLYNSTYLER likes this.
  17. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

P.S. I'm not one of those snarky morons who get their rocks off talking about how "The Who broke up in 1978." People die, get over it. I saw some GREAT shows with Zack and Pino and Rabbit touring with Roger and Pete and it was billed as The Who. I had no problem with it. But this is a disgrace. It is over. In the words of Noel Gallagher - who really should have a word with his favorite band - "end of."

Love,
    Billy

18. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

Can't wait to see them in St. Louis!

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The Who are like a sports car. They need to be driven. Once they get a half dozen shows under their belt, the USA tour will be as good as the 2012 Quad tour.

20. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I think he sounds fine in those clips, considering he is a 71 year old guy singing that hard to sing high energy stuff he did in his 20s.
    Clearly it's not as good as it was back then but I think he does a fine job.
    His voice seems to have gotten deeper over the years and he is clearly pacing himself, but he's not singing flat and the melodies are recognizable.
    When I read your post I expected something as bad as what David Coverdale is like in recent years, but I think Roger is doing a great job, all things considered.
    If it's taken for what it is, without worrying too much about legacies etc. I think it holds up pretty well.
    I would've come away from that gig quite impressed that a 71 year old fart like Roger can do what he's doing there. :)
    I'm not knocking your opinion or trying to convince you otherwise, I respect your opinions Billy, it's just interesting to me how different we all see the same things.

babyblue and Carserguev like this.
  21. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Can't believe it took 34 posts before a Beatle was mentioned.

22. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

I'm sorry, but there is no way in ****ing hell that anyone can objectively watch one of those YouTube clips and say Roger sounds good. No ****ing way.
    Love,
    Billy

23. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

The Who "Live" in 2015 is watching

"Grandads playing for Grandads!"

The Grandads playing don't care for quality as they earn fantastic money.

The Grandads being played to don't care for quality as the only thing of interest for them is visiting their youth that happened decades ago.

It is sad to watch both sides of the stage,on and in front of!

24. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

I find your whole post offensive and rude.

Carserguev and bobcat like this.
  25. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I'm 35 years old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.