The Who Sell Out 50 years later: song by song discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NothingBrightAboutIt, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It seems quite possible to me that Pete didn’t think the delicacy of Sunrise would be well served by having a jokey commercial lead in and out of it. (He may have felt the same about the grandiose Rael...)

Of course the song is still preceded by the not-entirely-serious Silas Stingy so maybe that theory doesn’t hold water.

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes indeed. Been awhile since I’ve heard it but maybe one chorus too long? Needed some editing. And definitely a jingle before and after.
    Oh well

NothingBrightAboutIt likes this.
  3. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

It can indeed be synced, speaking from experience. I did it with a vocals removed backing track for I CAN SEE FOR MILES, and the combo of Petra singing with the Who playing was awesome!

4. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Coke After Coke" would've worked as well as the "Boris the Spider" jingle that someone else suggested. Even "Things Go Better With Coke", with the first line of "Stingy" starting directly after the commercial finishes.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    krisbee and Dodoz like this.
  5. oates

oates Forum Resident

I notice that US folks pronounce "Jaguar" very differently to us Brits. And I can't understand how you pronounce "Antarctica" - which Who song was that?

6. Zack

Zack Senior Member

One of my great moments in parenting came when my oldest son was a toddler, and we were in a store together and he starts randomly singing "There goes Mingy Stingy!" in a loud voice. It was with great pride that I had to cover his little mouth and tell him "not here."

7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"Silas Stingy" is one of the weaker tracks on the album.

Dog Ear likes this.
  8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Yes, "Jaguar" is another one, though I hear it pronounced differently throughout the US even, depending on the region.

I pronounce "Antarctica" ant-Ark-tick-ah. I hear a lot of people here leave off the first "c" as in ant-Are-tick-ah but that's more a case of laziness. And some put emphasis on the "T" rather than the "A" as in an-Tark-tick-ah.

Any of those close to how you pronounce it?

Mark

Gardo likes this.
  9. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

The second pronunciation that you mention (leaving out the first "c") is most probably because that is the exact pronunciation and spelling in Spanish.

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Thanks, I didn't know that. Will remember that in the future.

I should add that my "laziness" comment was based specifically on where I live, where there's just a lot of bad grammar in general.

Mark

qm1ceveb likes this.
  11. NothingBrightAboutIt

Recorded: November 2 1967 at IBC

"Sunrise" was the last song recorded for the album, an acoustic solo recording of just Pete and his guitar, done so to "please his mum." Added at the last minute, it remains one of several to not be bookended by ads.

12. NothingBrightAboutIt

Despite the concept being far gone at this point, "Sunrise" is simply beautiful, with its time shifts and emotional lyrics.

13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

PT recently released a demo of Sunrise on the My Generation super deluxe boxset.

14. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Which really surprised me. Had no idea this song was written so early. The quality of Pete's demos is outstanding, especially for 1965.

15. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I forgot to mention "Silas Stingy" - love it, this kind of wavery melody and storytelling which was so often the band's forte.

"Sunrise" is a bowl of fresh air, acoustic and bare, miles away from ads and consumerism :) . I always hear it as a pause between the tension of "Silas" and the grand finale.Seeds of "Pinball Wizard"somewhere in there too.
    Good sequencing on this album also, even if we can have endless "what ifs" considering the quality of the extra tracks.

16. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I vividly recall the first time I heard “Sunrise.” I was overwhelmed by its musical and lyrical beauty. There was an urgency to “You take away the breath I was keeping for sunrise” coming after those dark and troubling yet lovely chords at the beginning ... the feeling I got was almost indescribable.

All these years later, and I still get a lump in my throat at exactly the same moment.

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"Sunrise" is magnificent. Nice one Pete.

18. NothingBrightAboutIt

I get that as well, especially the opening chords when they hit those minor notes. Almost like a melancholy feel of reflection.

PIGGIES and Gardo like this.
  19. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Want!

20. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I adore 'Sunrise'. Beautiful song and playing. Works brilliantly in setting up the last track as well.

Dodoz, Gardo, PIGGIES and 1 other person like this.
  21. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Sunrise is one of the most achingly beautiful songs Pete ever wrote - I never tire of it & always look forward to it's arrival (no pun intended) when listening to the Album.
    I Love it to bits

22. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

I love Sunrise. It puzzles me a bit why Townshend wrote just this one song that goes through 20+ different chords in 50 seconds.

Dodoz likes this.
  23. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Here ya go....

24. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

"Sunrise" is just STUNNINGLY beautiful. As well as being beautiful, it's incredibly haunting with the use of the echo.

I've always wondered if it was ever actually turned down by Roger (perhaps, though, simply too personal to PT to even be offered up) but was his springboard for a different approach when tackling "Tommy" some months later. Pete's comments around his surprise at Roger's approach to recording the "See Me Feel Me" vocal drag me back to "Sunrise" and just how pretty the bl00dy thing is.

Nick Dunning, Dodoz and Gardo like this.
  25. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I was comparing the stereo and mono mixes of Relax and in a reverse on an earlier track the lead guitar break is buried somewhat in the stereo whilst loud and proud in the mono - and being a fan of Freakbeat/Psych this a one of my favourite tunes on the album

Surferghost and dee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.