The Who to release 1982 Shea Concert

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicdav24, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davers

davers Forum Resident

The setlists had some nice variety on that tour. This may not be a popular opinion, but I wish they would've spiced it up even more with a few additional songs from Face Dances.

marc with a c, joeortonjr and J_D__ like this.
  2. davers

davers Forum Resident

I really dug Pete's sound and look when he was playing that black Schecter. I prefer it over his current Strat sound.

He was also playing one on the spring '80 tour; this picture reminded me that he tossed it on the floor and assaulted it with his foot during "Drowned" IIRC (Seattle March '80).

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  3. davers

davers Forum Resident

The live Clash album from the show is great (too bad there's no corresponding DVD). This will be a nice companion piece.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  4. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Done at that rehearsal or a different venue?

5. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Did Glyn Johns mix the Clash audio release?

6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

That's a fair assessment of those concerts.

7. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I was there. The Clash opened up.

My question..how many over dubs?:wave:

8. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I know that John Entwistle had suggested it at one point.

10. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

My friends and I stood outside behind the stage..(the bullpen) and heard the soundcheck.

11. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Still doesn't explain why he never used it.

12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Kenney never wanted one.

CMcGeek likes this.
  13. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

I attended the Shea concert as well. There was insanity trying to enter the stadium, as one of the main entrances was inexplicably closed. Because of that, I only saw the closing song of the Clash's set.

Seriously, many of the big-venue rock concerts I went to in NYC were like zoos. It will be sweet to revisit this show with less stress!

rufus t firefly likes this.
  14. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

No. He recorded it but didn't do the mix they released.

Quadboy likes this.
  15. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

For those asking some questions:

"5.15" was played that night. Don't know why it's not on the track listing from 10/13 (instead using the 10/12 take).

They played "It's Hard" on most shows, but only aired out "Cook County" once (at one of the Chicago shows).

I, too, was surprised that only "The Quiet One" was played from FACE DANCES. The album was less than two years old and "You Better You Bet" was a huge hit here in the States.

Great variety re: the set list, but anyone who saw some of the really energetic early shows of the tour (various September/October dates) would think that aliens had abducted the band and replaced them with lifeless clones by the last week of the tour. One of those instances when 40 shows were about 10 too many for the tour....

16. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

I guess John was encouraging him to have it, but it ended up being just for show

17. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

I think the real reason they weren't playing most of the Face Dances stuff on the '82 tour might be because that album represented one of the darkest periods for Townshend and the band (Post-Moon mourning, Cincinnati tragedy, Townshend bad-mouthing the survivors in print via 1980 RS interview, his drug addiction and near-death; a period they were probably still recuperating from) and they didn't want to have to re-live it by playing the songs. I know "Quiet One" is on there, but maybe that sits outside the catharsis because it's an Entwistle song.
    Perhaps they feel differently about the record now since they have played "You Better You Bet" during more recent tours.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  18. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I'm a huge Who fan, so I will buy this to have in my collection, but I'm not a bit excited about this release - I have the bootleg video from the same show and not only does Pete look bored to tears, but he also looks utterly ridiculous in his appearance.

DrBeatle likes this.
  19. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I guess like the gong too. I don't recall him ever using it.

CMcGeek likes this.
  20. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Those two songs and (if I'm in the mood), Athena are the same for me. Although I've always thought Eminence Front is overrated. Good but not great song.

21. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Yeah, he was going through a weird mid-life crisis around that immediate post-Moon period, with the excessive drugging, the headbands, the New Wave attire offstage and the tank-tops and sneakers onstage. Very lame. I'd say the same for Roger, too...the bleach blonde hair in that hideous haircut, although it was the early 1980s so...:)

vegafleet, CMcGeek and WhoTapes1 like this.
  22. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Though on the other side....John did stop dying his hair black. :)

Dave Hoos and DrBeatle like this.
  23. dee

dee Senior Member

Well, so far lol the Eagle Rock Shea Release is a big 1 for 1 with me as I listened and watched that clip of LROM again and thoroughly enjoyed it once more. I guess that must be one of the best performances on the disc if it is being featured as such. Too easy I know, I would probably buy the disc just so I could watch and listen to that from time to time. Hopefully, there will be a handful of other good performances. At least there will be some more performances of some It's Hard tracks and will include a setlist with a decent amount of variety. I thought the vocal and drums sounded pretty good together. Again, would have liked a teeny more guitar on the right and bass on the left, but perhaps the sound of them could be a tad more evident moving from the mp3 audio sample to the blu ray audio track. Here's hoping.

24. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Doubt that there were that many others who find the comment particularly novel or enlightening either.

25. One person liked it. I can't please everybody.

Say It Right likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.