The Who, Who's Next VINYL, my pet theory

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sungshinla, Jan 30, 2007.

1. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

What possible reasons could there be for his not cutting Side 2 of the U.K., though? I know we are guessing in the dark.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The only thing I can think of is his cut was originally intended for the UK, but a part got damaged requiring a recut. That is pure, 100% speculation, however.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  3. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Possible reasons , all pure speculation:

1. There is some small edit or difference that was made to the side 2 of the Uk that none of us have noticed in all of these years that necessitated a new side be cut in the UK.

2. Lost or damaged stamper?

3. Townsend or someone else on the UK side didn't like his cut of side 2. We know no Track version was issued with a B//1 side. It starts with B//2. Was Sax's side two, presumably/logically B//1 rejected?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Unlikely, since the masters stayed at The Mastering Lab until the mid-'80s.

I doubt it would have been rejected by Townshend, as I believe he was the reason it was cut by Sax in the first place.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  5. marcfeld69

Now we're getting somewhere! :)

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Please don't mistake my speculation as getting somewhere.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. marcfeld69

No worries. I just like the fact that we can continue the discussion a bit from the OP's great work.

8. marcfeld69

I like these ideas, but for 3. is that a slip? Why would a Side 2 be designated B//1? Excuse me if I am making some novice's error here in misunderstandings what you are getting at.

9. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

It's a fair question. Sometimes you will see the UK Polydor cut sides as A//1 B//1 like Electric Ladyland. Other times like Layla there is a A//1 B//2 sequence . We don't know if the use B//2 release logic indicated a rejected side or manufacturer protocol. it raises the possibility that there was a that B//1 cut that used the master tape lacquer from Doug Sax and for some reason never saw the light of day.

dee, marcfeld69 and Matt Starr like this.
  10. marcfeld69

I think I get you but wouldn't mean there was a A//1 on Side 1? There isn't, is there? I have to go and check my Track.

11. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

There is indeed on my copy as well as that of the exiled original poster in post #1.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  12. marcfeld69

My bad. I just checked. I get you now.

13. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

No bad at all. This **** is very confusing.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  14. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

Haha, processing all this matrix information often gives me a headache, but, can I be certain that my UK Track copy with headhunters inner and A//1 , B//2 inscriptions is actually a first pressing ? I don't really mind if it is or not, it's in excellent condition and sounds great to these ears, but it would be good to know for sure.

Slainte, Danny.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  15. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Indeed it is a first press UK.

16. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

Ah, thanks. I kind of knew it was, but again you'd expect a first press to be A//1 , B//1 or similar. I also have a UK press with A//4 , B//3 which was my first ever copy of the album bought way back around '73 or '74 and played many, many times but still in really nice condition. I have a US decca but don't know the numbers in the matrix and don't have it to hand at the moment. Threads like this one are a really valuable source of information and I know there are lots of them, but I always have trouble remembering what is what. Thanks again.

Slainte, Danny.

Cassius likes this.
  17. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Damn.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. marcfeld69

Isn't it just a fantastic post?

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  19. marcfeld69

I have the A//1, B//2 but the sleeve is dated something 74, which can't be right (I hope). Sleeves can be easily swapped. Would anyone buy a 1st U.K. with a headhunters sleeve as proof that it was a U.K. 1st? Meaning that without a headhunters sleeve it would mean it's a later pressing? Is there anything in the matrix or on the label that would prove one is the very first run over others with the same matrix?

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

As you said, sleeves can be swapped. It could also be a transitional pressing but: Why not leave such extreme forensics to Interpol or the FBI? You've got an A//1, B//2, you've got a first press. Everything else is..... everything else. To quote Warhol:wave:

Your avatar is great. September is coming. 1977-2017.

marcfeld69 and Cassius like this.
  21. marcfeld69

Thanks, Neonbeam, for your kind words. It's really gone beyond the actual the sound. I just like the communal detective work, but, yes, it's for people better than me to sort this out!

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. AFCAD

AFCAD Forum Resident

Interesting detective work! Just to continue the options, looks to me like Doug Sax's work found it's way to both sides of the original Australian pressing? Seems to be a crossed out W1 on side 2. The original pressing is not an easy version to find these days over here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

getitgoin and marcfeld69 like this.
  23. marcfeld69

That absolutely has to be a Sax. Nice work.

onlyacanvasky and AFCAD like this.
  24. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

My copy that cost me $5 about 20 years ago is the same, with that scribbled out W1 on Side 2.

Sometimes Australia or New Zealand gets lucky and gets imported metalwork, like this, or the Lee Hulko Cat Stevens cuts…and sometimes we get unlucky and get cuts from hissy copy tapes that have had a low pass filter applied to reduce the hiss. Exactly why one Island album uses imported metal and another one a few years later, pressed by the same company doesn't is beyond me.

john lennonist and marcfeld69 like this.
  25. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

I had one of these back in February this year, and to be honest, didn't think it was all *that*...... sold it on.