The Worst I Have Seen (RTI Plant Errors)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tony Plachy, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I've been nothing but happy with my Classic Vinyl. I'm surprised to hear the complaints. My Procol Harum lp is dead quiet. Love the Zeppelin, Dylan, etc.

2. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Thinking this over a bit I have to comment that I have some CR RTH records pressed on I think 150g vinyl. Some offerings were in two weights back then. Some were out of stock on the heavier vinyl so I went with the lighter stuff.
    To me I never noticed the benefit of the heavier stuff vs. the lighter variety as much as quality control and/or the surface noise.
    Seems to me that the manufacturers are caught up in the bigger is better and that is what the average customer wants.
    There are those out there, I am guessing, that believe this and gotta have the bigger, the heavier, the newly re-mastered or whatever is told them is better.
    Some of us are finding out we are in the minority apparently and if the Joneses are doing it they got to also.
    My first impression of MFSL 200g Anadisc left me wondering what the hell they were thinking.
    Just my 0.02

3. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

I have posted my two cents about this as well before, but here goes.

Buying LP's today is like rolling the dice. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. But I do agree that with the prices being charged, we should get replacements with FREE shipping coming and going. But even with that and the convenience of internet shopping it is still hassle to return one and get a replacement (anybody miss the record store yet?). RTI's pressing prices aren't that high

As a side note, three DVD-A's I purchased were brickwall compressed. I have had that problem with only one SACD. So you know which way I am leaning. SACD :sigh: DVD-A

Last LP Purchases:

Classic Stardust - Willie Nelson 200g - sweet
    Classic Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing 200g - sweet
    Classic Procol Harum - Procol Harum - 7" sweet - 12" - grinders :realmad:
    AP CCR's real sweet - not a bad one in the bunch of 7
    Classic Led Zeps 180's - all good except Houses & Song (live) - grinding at end of both sides on Houses, loud pops on Dazed and Confused on Live
    Classic Roy Orbison - Lonely And Blue 200g Stereo And Mono - both sweet.

I'll say it again. MFSL used to consistently press QUIET records (110g?). The only noisy ones I got were the ones with long playing sides where they had to significantly drop the cutting level (-5~10 db). Interestingly the two UHQR's I had were fairly noisy, so maybe heavier is not better.

I believe the original idea behind heavier vinyl was more solid bass.

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member Thread Starter

Tim, Bummer about your Procol Harum, mine are all great. If it has a problem send it back. :(

I also agree that the original MFSL are the best mechanical quality I have ever heard (i.e. quite vinyl).

5. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I agree. The Anadiscs were a HUGE disappointment. Of the four I bought,only Folk Singer was any good. The older MoFis were on better vinyl.

Sean

6. johnborzatti

johnborzatti Senior Member

A a frequent LP buyer I also have to include my 2 cents. In the last 5 years I have been buying more vinyl than ever. When I received my first copies of the early Classic Records titles like the Mono Hendrix Axis and the first Zep on the original 180 gram pressings I though I found the new MoFi JVC quality label. Then the next year when the heavier schedule of Atlantic titles were issued I noticed about a 15% defect rate in my purchases. The few noisy ones were only took one replacement to correct. My first Quiex II title was Genesis Lamb and was perfect. The next was Songs For Beginners, needed one replacement. Then last year when the Gabriel series hit, I started with 1 (CAR). One replacement required and I have a dead quiet copy. When I got to 2 and 3 and after two replcements I gave up. 200 grams weight as Steve Hoffman will attest to is hard to do perfectly. I have not purchased a Classic title since and from the complaints read about here things have only gotton worse. I have had only a 5% failure rate with used Japanese LP's from ebay!! In fact I have found that if you get the right seller on ebay you can get a lot of great stuff that is more likely to be defect free than the re-issues!! And cheaper in most cases!! I am after all year wanting to get some of the re-issues that have come out. The Universal Quadrophenia has gotton a great review for sound. Universal's are pressed in Germany and I have never had a problem with any of them. Also Speaker's Corner, pressed in Germany have been immaculate!! Happy spinning to all of you who still do!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.