The worst lines in the Star Wars prequels

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Number 57 “Nooooooooooooooooooo!” should've been number 1.

mmars982 likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

The line is fine, it's the whiney intereptation of it that kills it. :)

3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

In fairness, good child actors are fairly hard to come by. Interestingly, Haley Joel Osment was up for the role at one point, and this was right after The Sixth Sense, which he actually did a pretty good job in.

CORRECTION: The Sixth Sense actually came out a few months after TPM, so I guess he probably could have only done one or the other. I bet after The Sixth Sense came out the producers were kicking themselves for passing on Osment.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm glad this thread was created. I haven't seen the prequels since they first came out. Lately I've been wanting to revisit them and have thought about buying the blu-ray prequel trilogy set a few times, but always held off. Just reading these lines again and remembering them has tilted me back to sanity. I don't need to buy these movies again.

5. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

At the very beginning of Phantom Menace when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are ambushed by battle droids and they first take out their light sabers, one droid turns to another says "uh oh."

Are you freaking kidding me??? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. Robots were really programmed to say "uh oh" in the middle of battle? I knew 3 minutes in to this that it was going to be terrible.

Chris M and Rocker like this.
  6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Watch this video instead, far more entertaining than the movie:

7. PaulKTF

You're right! That is outstanding! :righton:

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's a scene in The Making of Phantom Menace where Lucas shows photographs of the final 3 kids from which he has to choose young Anakin. He points to one and says, "this kid was the best actor by far." And then the second, he says, "and this one has the most experience." Then he points to Jake Lloyd's picture and says, "but this kid had a little spark of something, plus he looks a little like Mark Hamill. He had the worst audition, but I think he'll do great in the movie. I'm casting him in the role." :eek::confused:

Plan9 likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

That 'Making Of" documentary on the DVD is fascinating because there's a moment where they've just finished watching the rough cut and they know they have a turd on their hands, but they also know they can't edit around the film's problems.

Plan9 and Vidiot like this.
  10. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

They show the casting on TPM making of documentary. There was another kid in the finalists that seemed like an OBVIOUS choice over Jake Lloyd. He was more polished, and looked like Luke.

Watch 1:25 in this video:

Lucas even admits that this kid would be far less "work".

**I have long contended Lucas should have started the Prequels with Anakin as a young Jedi, and just do a flashback for the youth part (if at all).

Episode II should have been the turn to Darth Vader.

Episode III should have tracked Vader leading up to the forming of the rebellion.

Plan9, Rubber65 and Vidiot like this.
  11. PaulKTF

Now those are some prequels I could get excited about!

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I won't provide any details, but I can tell you on Episode 3, there was concern about the relative lack of chemistry between Hayden Christianson and Natalie Portman. After I saw the film many months later, I could see this was a problem they never could solve.

In the case of Phantom Menace, the problem I saw there was that the entire film rested on the kid's shoulders. If you didn't have a brilliant little kid actor, the film wouldn't work because you couldn't believe him and you couldn't empathize with him. I never believed that kid for a second. He was a terrible actor (who I have no doubt did his best), and it brought the whole movie down. You'd need an actor on the level of Haley Joel Osment to pull that off -- that kid was an exceptionally good actor in the 1990s.

13. PaulKTF

Agreed on all counts. Even for a child actor, Jake Lloyd was more wooden than Pinocchio. He just couldn't emote to save his life and that's a real problem when most of his lines involve emotional situations and dialogue.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I dunno... it's hard not to be affected by the knowledge that poor little Jake sucked in Phantom Menace when looking at the screentests. Trying to set that knowledge aside, I think he looks like he has more personality than the other two kids.

Ironically, the brown-haired kid, who is the worst of the three, is the one who's a working actor now -- Michael Angarano.

I don't know that *any* kid that young would have been good. It just wasn't a good idea.

15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I had a feeling Lucas' feet must have directed those movies! :nyah:

16. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Ah that Jar Jar...freaking poet, he was.

17. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I thought he was in top form in that scene.

driverdrummer likes this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

All the love talk is hilariously bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.