The Yoko Ono Reissue Project: out November 11, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindgames, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I always thought that as well. No matter, an iconic track for me as well whatever she's doing.

2. My girlfriends always screamed out in English but I think Japanese would have been a turn on. Actually I'd probably choose French first.... :tiphat:

Hep Alien, Neonbeam and Oyster Boy like this.
  3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I saw her give a speech in Japanese, and then again in English. I didn't understand a lick of it until she "translated" it, but it was very passionate. There's definitely something lost in translation, but then music is a universal language thankfully!

4. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Thanks for the reminder! I'm going to see the film Wed or Thurs this week. Cant wait! :)

Rob Hughes likes this.
  5. revolution_vanderbilt

6. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

I have a general Yoko Ono question relating to her album Seasons of Glass. Do people think it was wrong to picture John Lennon's blood shattered glasses on the cover? The answer may be obvious, but in my opinion I think it was wrong to profit off of the circumstances of his death. Opinions?

7. Believe me it was not for profit. It was pure Yoko the artist and John would have agreed with it.

She stared it down. It was shocking but it was perfect.

They never played things safe.

8. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Still no word on the next batch of reissues, is there?

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Why would she "profit off" such an image? She lost her husband so it was totally her call how to cope with it. Do you think it's exploitation?

Conceptually it's a fantastic cover, it's gross but those objects display a certain banality that's hard to endure. It hurts just to look at it.

Of course she'd receive criticism. As usual.

10. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Ok, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a "dirty" move.

11. revolution_vanderbilt

As it should.

12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Nothing yet.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

There was a recent news bit on Pitchfork (April 2018, I'm pretty sure) regarding Ms Ono. It concluded with a more or less pro-forma observation that her complete catalogue was being remastered by Chimera Music/Secretly Canadian. Now, to state the obvious, we don't know how seriously to take this, since we don't know how much of this was carefully cleared with her publicist ("complete catalogue"???) or whether, to the contrary, it was casually thrown in by the staff writer, without great rigor for the precise details. So, it's nothing to take to the bank. All those caveats accepted: an optimist will say that the campaign is continuing and it's not impossible that there could be conversations about extending the re-issues past the 1980s.

Ah. Here it is: Yoko Ono Rock Worth $17,500 Stolen from Toronto Museum | Pitchfork

Cheers, RH

14. revolution_vanderbilt

Without a source proclaiming that, I wouldn't expect the campaign to be extended beyond its initial outlay.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  15. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

That's my position too -- I'm not expecting any changes (good or bad) to the announced plan, until we see something more official from the Ono camp.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. v3spertine

v3spertine Forum Resident

Hopefully the next reissues come out around June

Hep Alien and Oyster Boy like this.
  17. EricRiotT

EricRiotT Forum Resident

From Onobox:

"I used a photo I took of John's blood-stained glasses on the record cover. The record company called me and said the record shops would not stock the record unless I changed the cover. I didn't understand it. Why? They said it was in bad taste. I felt like a person soaked in blood coming into a living room full of people and reporting that my husband was dead, his body was taken away, and the pair of glasses were the only thing I had managed to salvage - and people looking at me saying it was in bad taste to show the glasses to them. 'I'm not changing the cover. This is what John is now.' I said."

18. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

All this talk of new Macca album, new Imagine and White Album sets, and still no word on the next batch of Yoko reissues. Maybe I'm being greedy but would like to have these as well

19. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

A nice vinyl issue of A Story would top all the other stuff you mentioned there on my shopping list.

20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I emailed Secretly Canadian about it a couple months ago.... no reply.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I might be done with my Yoko reissues but we'll see. I got the first 6 but my intent was stop there. A few I haven't listened to still like two virgins and Life With Lions. A Story might be the exception because I've never heard it and I've been told it's not bad. The last 3 plus Plastic Ono Band was what I was wanting. They are all fantastic as well. John is awesome on them as well.

Hep Alien and Mark Wilson like this.
  22. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I was not a fan but i bought it. I think it turns me off that album.

23. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Pretty much agree with Mazzy’s post. This is the type of artist she (and her late husband to a degree, Plastic Ono Band album for exaple) is. Have you listened to the album in question? The music matches the cover. You can hear her hurt in it.

24. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

They tend to be a bit secret about these things.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Season Of Glass is one of my favorite Yoko albums..............right there with Plastic Ono Band, Fly, Approximately Infinite Universe, and Rising.