"The Zombies Greatest Hits" 180-gram LP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member Thread Starter

Mike V,
    No need to apologize.
    No harm was taken.
    In fact...I get the feeling Steve and Audio Fidelity had already intended to press the LP with the same line up (same 15 songs) as the DCC CD.
    BC

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Thanks Ben,

It would be a great LP, that's for sure!

Mike

3. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Steve,
    I may be considered sacreligious here but this is my suggestion:

First off, lets keep one version of "She's Not There" and "Time Of the Season". Which version of this may give you a headache in deciding. My suggestion is to use the mono's because this is a greatest hits album, so keep it like the singles. (everybody, please be kind, ok? plenty of stereo versions on vinyl of those two already)

Next, in keeping with the essential tracks from the cd, here are what I figure you can get away with cutting out:

(again, everybody don't lunge for your keyboard all at once, ok? good!)

"Just out of Reach"
    "It's Alright With Me"

No real reason for this, just that these two seemed to be the first ones that came to mind. I don't really want to cut anything (true!)
    but there is a marketplace to consider and at 16 tracks, we are more managable.

You like the old Beatles presses, so should we be shaving off two more for 7 a side? Hmm...

"Sometimes"
    "I Don't Want to Know"

(I am trying to be fair with Chris and Rod's contributions)

Everybody. I used to play in a band with 2 predominant songwriters and then we invited a third to contribute his songs. Me and the other main writer had to bite the bullet each when selecting a set list for a 45 min opening slot that best represented the band and had a smooth running order (Question: So why chop Colin's sole contribution? Answer: I dunno, maybe hearing the "Bunny Lake is Missing" promo on the box tipped my hat! also I am listening to Sabbath on headphones this morning and jacked on coffee!) Getting your song cut wasn't too cool, but then so was not playing at all and getting into a fight about it!

Ahem...

Whaddya think about that Steve?

4. -Ben

If at all possible....I would also vote to keep the mono versions of SNT and TOTS. sydbarrett is right "plenty of stereo versions out already".

BC

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Well, non emotionally speaking....

Have the charted singles on the LP in stereo, the B sides if there is room and explain why these songs were selected.

Stereo singles even though the original hits were never released in stereo.

Wouldn't that appeal to the masses? Get the most sales, which is the name of the game?

Or am I totally wrong?

6. -Ben

Gary, You are not totally wrong.
    BUT...there are no masses buying LPs.
    The little masses that buy LPs most likely already have Zombies LPs with She's not There and Time of the Season in stereo. There are very few mono Zombies LPs around in good condition. At least I have not found them.
    So, if you give us LPs with the single-mono-mixes, it will give us a chance of getting something new or not easily found.
    Having said that. Steve explained in the SACD thread that stereo was what he, the producers, and the band wanted. So, I think stereo is what will be.
    BC

7. -Ben

BTW, Otto Preminger's Bunny Lake is Missing is a great movie, but must be seen on widescreen.
    BC

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I vote for 2 LP's. I don't mind paying extra for the "other" record.

I do not like records cut at too low a level (nor do I like overcut records). Also, trying to sqeeze too much music onto 1 LP will force some of the music to be cut pretty close to the label, which is another thing I can do without.

Steve, if this is going to sell at Sundazed prices, please make sure the quality of the records doesn't have to be compromised for this. I know Bob Irwin's Sundazed is a labor of love and he seemed to be a great guy when I spoke to him once, but the records sometimes come out and get sold (still sealed) scratched. :eek: I've bought only three Sundazed titles: Dylan's TTTAAC, Otis Redding/Dictionary of Soul, and Love/Forever Changes. The Otis was fine. The first copy of Times... was scratched and so is the copy I still have of Forever Changes. I couldn't be bothered trying to return it (Forever changes) since I bought it at the Stereophile show instead of ordering it through a dealer. Maybe I should e-mail Sundazed, I dunno. I just get the feeling that I may receive another tainted copy, plus I remember someone on this forum saying something about pre-scratched Sundazed LP's. Going back and forth with returns can be frustrating. So, that's 2 out of 4 records that were scratched as soon as I took them out of the sleeve. Not good. If costs have to be cut to keep the price low, please at least try to make sure the records arrive to us in mint condition. :)

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

This would be OK with me too if (for whatever reason) an actual 2-LP set is not feasible.

10. hfloyd5

hfloyd5 New Member

Greatest Hits? I can only remember 2 hits by the Zombies (Time of the Season and She's Not There). I have the 180 gram version of Odyssey and Oracle and other than Time of the Season, the rest is mediocre.

11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Okay, Steve! Stop the pressings! Ditch "The Zombies Greatest Hits" title and rename it, "The Zombies Greatest Hit x2 (plus a few other sea chanties)". I bet that'll sell maybe 4 copies...

Todd

12. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Todd,

How about 12"X2?

Bob :laugh:

13. Todd Fredericks

That's a great idea(r)! If it's released as 2 separate albums (2 parts) then call the first one 'x1' and the 2nd 'x2'. That'll confuse the heck out of everyone. Very 60's...

Also, have the 2 separate covers become 1 poster when combined.

Todd

14. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Todd,

I picked up on the circa 60's Kennedy bit. :laugh:

It could be become known as the TBOTZ 12"X1 and X2!

Bob

15. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

What about "Tell Her No" ...went to #6 in 1965!!!! :confused:

Just make it a REALLY expensive 3-song EP! :rolleyes:

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I didn't know Odessey and Oracle is already on 180g vinyl, thanks hfloyd5 for letting me know.

17. Todd Fredericks

And include a bonus 12" LP of the other 17 tracks folded in half, slipped into the EP DJ.

Seriously, just release all 20 songs on a new Classic Records 400g 20 inch reference disc (also can be used as a cajun pan for some got cooking)...

Very seriously, why not an 8 track included with the EP?

Very, very seriously, Steve we trust your judgement on this...

Todd

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

This isn't helpful. If you don't like the Zombies, why post on a Zombies thread? That's very troll like, isn't it?

19. Todd Fredericks

Steve,

Some of us were only joking with that previous post. This LP release will be very cool whatever tracks are chosen. Thanks for listening to our comments (and also our silliness)...

Todd

P.S. I also can't wait to hear your results with the SACD format...

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Of course. Joking is fine. Joke away...

But that one guy's post was thread crapping pure and simple, don't ya think?.

21. Todd Fredericks

Ya, it didn't have anything constructive about it. Good thing you didn't ask him how his day went or what his favorite color is...

How many tracks do you think could be safely fit on the LP without compromising too much fidelity? What's a safe number?

Todd

22. Todd Fredericks

I had another thought (not meaning to be negative). Maybe you should consider a double LP (with the fair pricing idea) because it will be an honest support of the vinyl version of the same title. I can just hear the SACD fans (the ones who are very competetive with other format supporters/you know what I mean) bragging about how the SACD has more songs than the vinyl one. I can also hear the vinyl ga-ga's (the opposite of the "ultra" SACD supporters/sad, isn't it?) complaining that they felt cheated by having "less" tracks than the SACD version. I think maybe this needs to be considered. A 2 LP release with a good price will not kill too many sales? Doesn't Sundazed have a few 2 lp sets out?

Todd

23. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

I'm NOT actively purchasing vinyl these days, so I haven't contributed much to this thread . I did try to add some levity though, when I read hfloyd5's comments! Surprised MORE Zombies fans (like ME) didn't respond! Hmmm?

Not sure if this would be a winner or not, but what about a remastering of The Zombies first lp in glorious MONO (did "I" say that???). Gotta have the Parrot label reproduced too!

Steve,

When The Zombies are done....can we see some TROGGS material with the MAGIC touch?!
    :D

24. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Hey, I was just watching CNN, and on the scroll at the bottom of the screen, it reported that Colin Blumstone and Rod Argent have reformed the Zombies and are going on a 9 city tour. Wow! I guess a real fan is sitting in the CNN news room. Most excellent.

Bob C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.