There’s A Part For William Shatner In STAR TREK 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cool! without Bill there would have been no Star Trek to begin with....like him or not.

reapers likes this.
  3. Deesky

Sure there would have been, just with a different actor, like the original cap - Christopher Pike (Jeffrey Hunter).

ssmith3046 likes this.
  4. Then you've never seen him in "Judgement at Nuremberg". Shatner was a pretty good actor before became so mannered which is one of the reasons why he was a regular guest star on TV.

Shatner can have moments of excess--often--but when working with the right director he's also a pretty good actor when he's not busy being hammy.

kwadguy, Keim and Deesky like this.
  5. Michael

FOR ME, Bill is rooted in the original Star Trek...I cannot imagine no other.

6. Deesky

Well, that's my point. If Jeffrey Hunter went on to star in the whole series (and movies), his name would now be synonymous with Trek and you'd probably not be able to see anyone else in the role.

7. Michael

but he didn't...just my opinion my friend.

8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I think that Shatner nailed Spock's eulogy in The Wrath of Khan when he said, "Of my friend, I can only say this: Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most (breaks down and pauses)...human." That was a shining moment for him, in my opinion.

9. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

That's......definitely what .......I..................meant .....! :) :)

10. Remurmur

All kidding aside, that is/was a great scene and had just the correct amount of emotion required.

I would say the same of the scene in Star Trek III when Kirk first finds out the Klingon Kruge has killed his son David and he steps back, then stumbles and falls in front of his captain's chair.

"Klingon bastards....you've killed my son!"...

Very effective acting.

11. Remurmur

Agreed. And I have to admit that I do like the guy, over emoting and all ...:)

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

13. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Yawn.

The old Star Trek was what it was- some good pulpy sci-fi and some incredibly silly plots, and a lot of it not being as profound as some fans want to believe. But it was always fun to watch (still is). Something I wish I could say about any other version that came after it.

The only thing I hated more than seeing poor old Leonard Nimoy don his Beatle wig and pointy ears one last time in the first new one was having him say the "Space...the final frontier" speech at the end. Seemed like a pointless slap at Shatner + still mystified why Chris Pine didn't say it to complete the transition to the new "Trek". I guess they were (and still are) hedging.

14. Michael

Indeed...Love Bill...I also enjoyed Bill in Boston Legal!

15. Deesky

True. I can get through about maybe 1/3 of the episodes of TOS these days - the rest are too painful to watch.

Totally disagree with that. I've enjoyed all of the other Treks (except Enterprise) much more so than TOS, especially DS9 (I hope they do a HD remaster on that one just like they did for TNG).

16. Deesky

It looks like the Shat has now been contacted for a role in the next Trek movie. By JJ no less!

Shatner appeared at the Wizard World Nashville convention over the weekend, and according to ComicBook.com he said that discussions about a possible role have in fact now happened. And it was none other than producer and director of the first two films in the rebooted franchise, J.J. Abrams, taking a moment away from helming Star Wars: Episode VII, to make the call.

Abrams reportedly said, “I’m calling because the director of Star Trek, the next movie, has had an idea where you might be involved, so I’m calling to find out whether you would be interested.” To which Shatner replied, “It depends on what you do with the character, but I would be delighted.”

Encuentro likes this.
  17. Deesky

Some news in the next movie. It looks like Roberto Orci has been dropped as the Trek 3 director. The Trek 3 pre-production machine has been having some issues, with reports that the film's art department was put on hiatus in late October. Badass Digest's Devin Faraci states:

[Sources] tell me that the script Orci was working on saw the Enterprise, the Vulcans and a new alien race competing to get a time travel device. The Vulcans want to go back and stop the destruction of their planet, and the time travel schtick is what would allow Chris Pine and William Shatner to share the screen. Is that still going to be the plot of the movie - a MacGuffin that could wipe out the previous two films?

I've been in touch with some folks and it seems like the script was one of the problem factors. Paramount shut the production down last month, sending home all the design people while they battled over the direction of the screenplay.

So, another timeline wipeout? :(

http://trekcore.com/blog/2014/12/rumor-alert-roberto-orci-out-as-trek-3-director/

18. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I read Orci "stepped down", not that he was dropped. He is reportedly remaining onboard as a producer.

19. Deesky

Why would one "step down" from such a high profile tent-pole production?

20. progrocker71

Maybe he thought the script sucked and didn't want to be blamed for it being a turd of film? Who knows, I'm just going by the wording I saw in an article yesterday.

21. Deesky

Except that it was he who worked on the script (with others)! As this latest report notes, Paramount thought that the screenplay was one of the main problem factors and is why the film's art department was shut down in October.

22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It sounds like Orci was attempting to bring new Trek back to the prime universe.

23. progrocker71

Orci was evidently the biggest Trek fan at Bad Robot. I guess we'll just have to wait for a full explanation as to what happened, but I seriously doubt he was fired.

24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I agree - Hunter was good as Pike but can't imagine his Kirk being as iconic as Shatner's or having the same chemistry with Nimoy. TOS is still the gold standard for ST even though I rate TNG about the same. Followed by the rest as they aired - but even Enterprise was great.

But most importantly could Hunter's Kirk talk a computer to death :p

And Shatner has been very good in other roles - most notably in Boston Legal. At the moment I'm enjoying his Weird Or What series....quite similar to Nimoy's In Search Of.

25. Michael

I love him! he was Denny Crane! I have to check out his series!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.