These Albums Merit An Entire Book Written About Them! Name Your Picks.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

First and foremost - Olivia Tremor Control's Dusk at Cubist Castle

Dave Larr, levi and Paperback Writer like this.
  2. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

With the upcoming tour and deluxe album coming out - can we soon expect a book on the Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers?

danielbravo likes this.
  3. Paperback Writer

YES! That would be awesome.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

Any LP with a lot of different styles of song:

Strawbs, Bursting at the Seams
    Elvis Costello, Imperial Bedroom

Any LP with some varied songs within a style:

Genesis, Foxtrot

Any LP with a strong list of songs mostly of one style:

Chameleons, Strange Times

5. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Well, that almost certainly has to be more enjoyable than listening to it. ;)

(I'm sorry, I know. But that was just too good an opportunity to pass up!)

6. lleel

lleel New Member

I've read unknown pleasures and people's instinctive travels and the paths of rhythm from 33 1/3 series. Suprised to prefer the latter. Is there a book about Bowie's berlin trilogy i don't know about? If there isn't, there should be.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  7. drasil

drasil Former Resident

there's a 33 1/3 book on low. it contains a couple factual errors and more speculation on Bowie's personal life than I'd like, myself, but it's probably in the upper echelon of the series.

you're not alone in your assessment of the unknown pleasures installment. I haven't read the tribe called quest volume, but it's highly contentious--as is most music journalism principally focused on the journalist and not the subject. (that approach is not my thing, which is why I haven't read it.)

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    lleel and Paperback Writer like this.
  8. rwil

rwil Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, the reason the 33 1/3 series vary so much in quality is that they are chosen via open submission. If any of you want to give it a shot, they start accepting proposals in June.

http://333sound.com/how-to-submit/

And, since we're on the subject, I thought it was interesting that the most recent entry in the series is about the Super Mario Bros. video game soundtrack.

Paperback Writer and drasil like this.
  9. glewes

glewes Forum Resident

Dave Marsh wrote a whole book about one song--"Louie Louie"

DTK, sami, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  10. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Queen - Queen II
    Pink Floyd - Animals
    King Crimson - Red
    Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans
    Miles Davis - On the Corner

11. Paperback Writer

The journey back to their roots of folk, blues for the Grateful Dead on Workingman's Dead and American Beauty after the psychedelic acid test forays would make interesting reading.

Some songs from Eat A Peach and Brothers and Sisters album , post Duane and Berry deaths and the making of them would be interesting.

How the Band transformed from a barnstorming Bar Band and Dylan's Rock Era band mates into their rustic Americanna music on Big Pink and The (brown album) Band albums is intriguing enough for a book, heh?

12. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
    Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
    Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
    Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
    Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    Prince - Crystal Ball
    Rolling Stones - Exile in Main St.
    The Who - Lifehouse

13. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

The Quintet: Massey Hall Concert
    Neil Young: Tonight's the Night
    The Ramones: End of the Century
    NWA: Straight Outta Compton

Paperback Writer and JohnnyQuest like this.
  14. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I've long thought that this album:
    [​IMG]
    warrants a full-fledged annotated edition. Just identifying and explaining all the cultural and political references in the lyrics, sourcing the samples and exploring what extra-musical meaning is being piggy-backed in on them, and untangling all the self-reflexive material (e.g. allusions to previous songs , the band's personae and the prior press coverage thereof) would fill an entire book, and that's without any critical or musical analysis of one of the greatest albums ever made.

s m @, dlokazip, Maurice and 5 others like this.
  15. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Excuse me as I wipe the drool off the floor. Make this happen!!!!!

16. glewes

glewes Forum Resident

Didn't Charles Manson actually record and release an album (from prison--or, at least it was released after he began serving time). The story of that album would make a fascinating book (would likely touch on the Beach Boys, among others we know and love). But such a book should be published only if royalties go to charity or families of helter skelter victims

17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

18. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

So-called "Son of Sam" laws prevent criminals like Manson from profiting from their crimes. I don't know if there could be some arrangement by which a criminal could donate all proceeds of a book or album. My guess is Manson's victims are either dead or so over his crazy ass they want nothing to do with such a project.

19. glewes

glewes Forum Resident

Wasn't suggesting Manson write the book himself. More a Truman Capote-In Cold Blood type arrangement, only royalties (or a good portion) go to charity--if families of victims are disinterested.

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Gen might not care but its an excellent read offering a lot of insight and background.

21. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

The Long Run would be my pick. It's a weak album, but I suspect has an incredible backstory, of the Eagles breaking up as they were on the verge of establishing their dominance over a new decade.

22. drasil

drasil Former Resident

as long as I'm working 33 1/3 duty here, the following have had volumes in the series devoted to them:
    (I know you had a much more involved topical arc to your suggestion, PW--I'm only cataloging.)​
    Prince's crystal ball is addressed briefly in the sign o' the times book--another one which concentrates more on the journalist's personal story than the album itself. the tusk book also suffers from this approach, probably even more so.

I would strongly recommend Charles Granata's excellent wouldn't it be nice: Brian Wilson and the making of the beach boys' pet sounds over the 33 1/3 volume, which is acceptably-written but very basic, and which repeats a few disproven myths as fact--especially when it mentions smile.

I realize I'm coming down a bit hard on the series in this thread, so I'm happy to say I found John Cavanagh's piper at the gates of dawn volume to be superb. it's notably in-depth and maintains an even balance between the band's story and the story of the record itself. also, Cavanagh treats Syd appropriately as bandleader and songwriter without mythologizing, which is really welcome.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

Electric Ladyland deserved one and got one from John Perry (guitarist with The Only Ones):

[​IMG]

DTK and Paperback Writer like this.
  24. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I've avoided this one because I've heard the author makes frequent comments on how he personally would improve the album's material (!) and because it supposedly lacks any information on the recording process (in which I'd be very interested). did you like it? especially being as a big Hendrix fan as you, Jim--did you learn anything new from it?

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I never got round to buying a copy, so I can't comment on the text.
    A fellow fan sent me this little piece about the phasing techniques:
    http://hendrix.guide.pagesperso-orange.fr/ladyland.htm

Check this out too:

...and all the little "Behind The Scenes" videos on YouTube - for example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AeWMHW0aWM&index=11&list=PLh3MAsL9i7w-X1ou3DcL9EtI-8wHmWnEf

Not really any technical details in all those though.

Paperback Writer and drasil like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.