They don't like the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pastafarian, Mar 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

And then there's the ones who purdy much limit themselves to Abbey Road.

El Goodo likes this.
  2. PackmanJim

PackmanJim Well-Known Member

When you grew up listening to The Beatles in the back seat of your family's car and you saw them on Ed Sullivan when you were 11 and your sister who was 16 was going crazy, it makes an impact on your musical taste.

3. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I have heard it from folks in my parents generation. I've been completely blown away when I hear it from contemporaries. Being born in the 50's, all my friends and siblings were Beatles fans.
    I have to be glad you like them at least that much. However, I don't know of this "crap" of which you speak. I am of the opinion that the worst song on any given Beatles album is better than the best song on many other artists albums - Phil Collins, Journey, Styx to name a few.

vanhooserd likes this.
  4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I like your friends!

zebop and Donniej like this.
  5. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

What????!!!!! Who the hell doesn't like The Beatles. It's like saying you don't like to eat or drink.

6. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

In one of the Rolling Stone album guides, one that came out in the mid-90's, the reviewer said that not liking the Beatles was as perverse as not liking the sun. A little over the top, I guess, but I thought it was a good line.

bhazen likes this.
  7. readr

readr Forum Resident

Is this possible?

8. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Words to judge ones' prospective friends by, particularly amongst Boomers (my cohort). ;)

It's going to be interesting, over the next few decades, seeing what happens to the Beatles' public profile (and critical reputation). The way things are going in the culture, I'm not sanguine in the least about our prospects ....

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I like to eat & drink but I HATE the Beatles. So there :hide:

Luxury_Liner, zebop, bob60 and 3 others like this.
  10. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

And you are certainly entitled to that opinion, as I am to mine. Likes/dislikes are subjective. I said to me.
    Glad? It's cool, though. I just don't understand why people care about others' taste in music.
    It makes me happy that people like music, period.
    :tiphat:

11. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Please provide street addresses for those who "don't like the Beatles" ...

[​IMG]

SixtiesGuy likes this.
  12. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

F**k 'em. They are Philistines.

13. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

That film was over thirty years ago.

Yet in that exact same way, I can imagine some 20-something year old hipster proudly and smugly destroying anything popular or perceived to be good so they can get their "look at me I'm edgy and contrary" card punched.

Brilliant.

14. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

My Beatle records are my friends

15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

16. gslasor

gslasor Forum Resident

I'm 21, and I like The Beatles. However, I maintain that their greatness is tarnished by the unusually large amount of dreck in their catalogue. The good stuff is amazing - I'm all for "A Day In The Life"; But stuff like "Yellow Submarine" and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" are just ... asinine.

Before someone counters with "Well, that's the point"- yeah, maybe, but does that make it good?

And now ... :hide:

zebop likes this.
  17. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

Meh, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm 15 and I love The Beatles, so much so that they are part of the reason I have a vinyl set-up and the first time I felt I had to buy an artist's music. I have the majority of albums now from various countries, mono and stereo.

Just play them the White Album, or Revolver perhaps.

AJK74, HfxBob and bhazen like this.
  18. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yellow Submarine is a brilliant piece of psychedelic whimsy.

They do have some ordinary songs but not that many - "What Goes On" & "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" are a couple that spring to mind

tages likes this.
  19. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

There's a classic rock radio show here in Russia which I was a bit of a fan of back when I was big on "classic rock" - for the record, I still love a lot of it, it's just that my musical preferences have expanded a great deal since then. Once I heard the host of that show say - and he really meant it - that, if he heard someone say he didn't like the Beatles, he lost all interest in that person and felt disinclined to associate with him from that moment on. I thought that was funny and kinda weird.

Russian Beatles fans are so hardcore sometimes.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  20. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

You can have total respect for any band or kind of music but still not love them. I never get upset when someone is not a fan of one or more of my favorite bands or music or generally even when they say the REALLY don't like it. I don't know how it sounds to them. I don't have their ears. As long as they respect the music and those who do love it, good enough!

21. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Well said. I think that holds true for most artists (if not all) from the past and not just The Beatles. There are those people who enjoy music and then there are those who live for music.

I'm not a Beatles fan (but I do respect them) ;however, I can definitely empathize. There are plenty of bands I have been holding onto for 30 years or so now that no one I know cares about.

22. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I have the Beatles Mono box, LP and CD, and a stereo blue box. But not a Beatles fanatic, more of a record fanatic.

For someone not into the Beatles, I would play Revolver and then Abbey Road.

23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

My (now deceased) cousin was a huge Beatles fan, many of my friends are big music fans with large music collections and not one of them like the Beatles.
    It is a myth that everyone likes them, and of course theses forums as we all know are Beatles centric. In the real world in 2016 The Beatles are no way as popular as people on here would have us think, as the dismal performance of that recent DVD package has shown.

Jim B. likes this.
  24. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

The Beatles are baked into world culture. They won't go away for a long long time.

bluejeanbaby and Alan2 like this.
  25. But what beautiful weirdos we are. I'm proud to be one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.