Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

When John Goodman guest-hosted SNL years ago they did a skit about that, why don't they just all bumrush their target at once instead of one at a time. Then he did a Belushi-esque "naaaah...." IIRC.

2. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I swear in every movie made before 2001: A Space Odyssey there must've been a time limit or footage limit on how much they could devote to the credits.

3. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Unless you use it for comedic effect, a la the nightclub scene in National Lampoon's Animal House.

4. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

There are no crickets in the UK? To quote Johnny Carson, I Did Not Know That!

seed_drill and Dudley Morris like this.
  5. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I figured Scorsese somehow is contractually obligated to use it in every one of his films; it's like Ron Howard always sticking his useless brother Clint in every movie he makes.

musicfan37 and KeninDC like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Think if their involved they should still get a credit. Again with media ...remote.:)

7. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

A fatal one.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's very funny to watch the other henchmen during a fight scene, where they're all basically waiting for their cues and the opportunity to throw a punch at the hero. But too often, it's very obvious they're just biding their time, where in real life, they'd come at the guy from 4 different directions and just pound the crap out of him. Even Batman or Daredevil wouldn't be able to withstand that for long in real life.

9. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Or the idea that after one of these henchmen watches 24 other of his henchmen coworkers get their butt kicked, he the jumps right in to have the same thing happen to him. If I'm a henchman and one dude is dropping everyone who touches him before I lay a finger on him, I'm walking away and changing my career.

edit: John Wick is a great example of this. The most reputable assassin ever, who's dropping everyone who points a gun in any proximity towards his direction..... I'm the henchman hiding in the shadows, putting my gun down and just disappearing to become an uber driver.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Truism.

12. The whole Transformers franchise comes to mind...

13. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Mentioned this elsewhere, but I will repeat it.

I shake my head when a movie or tv show is supposed to be somewhere else, but is obviously filmed in California replete with palm trees. I have seen shows that were supposed to be Philly, Chicago, and DC where the characters drive or jog by some palms swaying in the wind.

Even Hogan's Heroes slips up. If you look carefully at the outdoor scenes of the Stalag- where there is always some leftover snow in the bright German sunshine- you can see the cluster of a date palm in the background.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

No. Sometimes we have cicada, which are ten times louder.

15. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I never go to movies (or concerts) without a good set of earplugs. One never knows when the sound system will be loud or distorted. And you're right the previews are always too loud.

EdgardV and Dirkwkirk like this.
  16. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Pregnant women who go straight from 'about that time' to labor contractions with no water breaking.

Jack Lord likes this.
  17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Although the "my water broke!" scene followed by a mad dash to the hospital is also a TV/movie staple.

18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Yep. Here's a screen cap of David Janssen in THE FUGITIVE, who's supposed to be in Ohio in this particular episode. Note the palm trees in the background.

[​IMG]

19. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

That reminds me - new born babies! I'm no expert at this but a lot of newborn babies on film and TV look large, like several weeks large at least. I realise there's a valid reason for this.

SomeCallMeTim and seed_drill like this.
  20. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

A criminal turns on a radio and IMMEDIATELY hears a newscast about his crime. No waiting till the top of the hour for these guys...

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yes - everyone knows the camera adds 20 pounds to babies...

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's a lot easier now with digital VFX and CGI to replace the background and remove any vestige of the real location to make the plot work better. I get just as upset when I see Vancouver substituting for LA or Toronto standing in for NYC. I understand it when there's a historical situation, like when they shot the 1896 NY scenes for The Alienist in Hungary, because they could find streets and construct sets that looked a lot more like what that city looked like 120 years ago.

If you're shooting on an "alien planet," usually the end result is a combination of a real place with synthetic backgrounds and even some studio shots. They do this very well on the current Netflix Lost in Space show, which I think is shot mostly in Vancouver. If it's science fiction and not on Earth, anything goes.

Jack Lord and ianuaditis like this.
  23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

My best mate told me that when he was there at the birth of his son at the hospital it was to put it mildly...carnage. He was delivered normally but he said the mess resulting from that would have rendered any car or taxi totally written off.

Enjoy your food folks.

24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I remember at the birth of my first they took away several buckets full to the brim. We'd taken the class, they told us it wouldn't be like on TV (though it was with my second.) I wish they'd told us 'by the way, there will be enough blood for 5 murders.' :help:
    With our first, the water broke at home and we had plenty of time to get to the hospital, 5 or 6 hours after that our daughter was born. Luckily with the second we were already there - it was like a movie - her water broke, I went to the waiting room to call the relatives and say 'it should be soon,' thinking we had a couple of hours at least, and when I walked back in the midwife says 'there's the head!'

Rumble in the Bronx - those ain't the Catskills behind him (filmed in Vancouver)
    [​IMG]

fr in sc, SomeCallMeTim and daglesj like this.
  25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There's an episode of Hogan's Heroes where they have to go to Paris and there's stock footage of a Paris street scene but there's a poster for Vince Taylor on the wall DURING WORLD WAR II. Vince was the rocker in the early 60s Bowie based Ziggy Stardust on.

seed_drill, Jack Lord and Nice Marmot like this.