Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Front license plates on cars from states where there is only a rear license plate. I lived in Pennsylvania for years and now Florida, and neither state has front license plates, yet I see them on TV and in movies all the time.

EdgardV and seed_drill like this.
  2. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

In Sci-Fi/comic book movies where a shapeshifter is involved, it always bothers me that their costume changes, too. The T-1000, Mystique, etc.

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Their 'costumes' though are part of their physical form, the T1000 is making the Police outfit from it's liquid skin, and I think Mystique is essentially naked all the time and she just creates the costume. That's why they show her naked rather than having the outfit she does in the comics, so as to make it logical how she can change clothes.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I can accept it if you are making a contribution to the film in an artistic sense. But watching IW they had lots that I thought don't really belong. Like they had Chief Accountant, which was fair, then Assistant Accountant (stretching it) and then Accounts clerks (silly).

It's like I used to work in music distribution, so she I get a credit on the album? For my involvement I may as well have been distributing baked beans.

5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Yeah, but I guess it's the cloth simulation that breaks suspension of disbelief for me. Subconsciously, being able to shapeshift one's costume strikes me as a filmmaking cheat-- except for that bounty hunter in Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, who stayed in costume as she shifted. So, that's one that Clones actually got right! (Along with a delay in lightning and thunder.)

seed_drill likes this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

But surely being able to recreate someone's hair and eyes to perfection is harder than clothing? I know the whole concept is slightly daft - how would you be able to shape shift and copy someone's body that you can't see for example though, how would you get the breasts right? How big a ***** would you need? I guess logically the 'power' works in an almost sub-conscious magical way as Mystique can you copy anyone she sees identically, even the clothes?

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

On the East Coast does any state besides NY and VA still have front tags?

8. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Hogan's Heroes was just carrying on the tradition begun for WW2 POW escape movies with Stalag 17. Billy Wilder's film taking place with those lovely, thickly forested German mountains in the background....oh wait, they were bare-looking California hills. At least The Great Escape was filmed in Germany.

9. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

The change to the modern 7 -11 minute or longer than it used to be credits at the films finale started 'when' exactly. Was it around the early 80s and slowly got longer and longer. I agree all should get credit but it is almost comical if you think about some acknowledgement as sandwich maker or piss boy. Well never mind that. The post credit scene was an ingenious way to keep us prisoners in our seats, that seems alittle disengenuous. Thats just me I guess.
    Thanks for any info, John.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

[​IMG]

Pete Puma, EdgardV and seed_drill like this.
  11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Never made the sequel to The Seventh Seal. That's right - "The Eighth Seal" (and this time it's personal)

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Maryland does. I hate it, because many bumpers are no longer pre-fitted for front tags and you're basically vandalizing the car.

seed_drill and geralmar like this.
  13. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

I believe it was in an episode of "Sledge Hammer!" where Hammer sneaked up behind a "baddie" and hit him on the top of the head with the butt of his gun to knock him out. Instead of collapsing unconscious on the ground, the bad guy clutched his head and began staggering around moaning. Hammer looked surprised.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Max Florian, SomeCallMeTim and Vidiot like this.
  14. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

He’s even looking at the trees probably wondering the same thing.

15. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Over paying under talented actors & actresses

16. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

They’re required in Ohio, but it’s not enforced. I drove around for about 4 years once without a front plate and didn’t get pulled over for it once. In fact, a couple times when I got pulled over for something else, it was never mentioned.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I believe Superman (1978) was the first time the closing credit crawl went to 8 minutes. Bear in mind that prior to that, often just the department heads got credit, so if there were 150 set-building people but only two designers and one supervisor, the movie would only have three credits for that part of the credits. Now, a lot of the crew members do get credit just as a matter of courtesy. The (very fine) graphics company Endcrawl did an interesting take on the 1939 credits for Wizard of Oz, changing them to accurately reflect the hundreds and hundreds of MGM staffers who weren't credited in the original film:

The released 1939 film has credits that are maybe :30 seconds long. With all the names, it's now over 4 minutes long -- but that's because the people who worked on the film actually got a credit.

Again, anybody who doesn't want to see the names: just leave the theater or turn the TV off.

Chris DeVoe, apesfan and EdgardV like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If you were an accountant on the film for a solid year, and that was the only job you did for 40 hours a week, do you deserve a credit? Who gets to decide who gets a credit and who doesn't? Where is the line drawn?

This movie was made back in 1995, and trying to remove a background like that back then would be hard to do. Nowadays, that's pretty easy provided they shoot it right. I've worked on several Jackie Chan movies, and the effects on some of those Hong Kong movies are dodgy at best.

There's a million movies where the backgrounds are horrible and bear little resemblance to the city or town it's supposed to be in. Even back in the 1960s, I used to laugh seeing an occasional palm tree or what was obviously the Paramount lot being passed off as a back alley in Mission: Impossible.

SomeCallMeTim and kouzie like this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Westerns.

geralmar likes this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

LOL. That would be fine if it wasn't for those damn Marvel post credit scenes!

Dudley Morris likes this.
  21. alexpop

Too true ...lol.

22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

"Schultz! What is that Palm Tree doing here before the Gestapo visit?"

"Commandant, Hol. Hogan thought you would like to offer him some fresh cocoanuts"

23. alexpop

How long does QT take to shoot a film ?

24. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Yea the Battle of the Bulge is another one. Clearly California. Desert landscape with fake snow here and there.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just saw I, Tonya. Margo Robie 15? Not quite believable.