Thinking about buying my last set of speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telemike, Jun 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm hoping to find a set that will last me to the grave lol. My current set, which sound really great for budget, are Boston Acoustics A26 bookshelves and ASW250 subwoofer with a Rotel RA-12 integrated amp.

Looking at:

Wharfedale Denton 80 with sub
    Wharfedale Denton 85
    Monitor Audio Silver 2
    Focal Aria 906
    Paradigm Studio 60 v2 used
    PSB Image 5T used

Would prefer walnut veneer to match turntable and entertainment center

Budget is $1000 or less preferably. Though Wharfedale Lintons with stands is really tempting.
    Ideas?

Echoes Myron and Rick58 like this.
  2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I would say if it's truly going to be your last pair of speakers maybe save up for the Linton's? They look like amazing speakers both looks and sound and shouldn't require a sub.

macster, Clay B and Rick58 like this.
  3. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

What is your music taste?

4. telemike

Classic Rock and Jazz mostly. I need to go hear the Lintons at a local dealer. One dealer has the Triangle Borea series as well.

Rick58 likes this.
  5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Likely different animals, excellent to be able to listen to them at least in the showroom. Hard to know if that translates to your room but at least you’ll have the comparison there.

Seems like Triangle favors articulate bass which may feel lighter than the Lintons? But both seem like excellent choices, assuming the Borea version is a similar price.

Edit/PS: Guessing the Triangles + Rotel may not be a great match. Quick review read claims the RA-12 is a little light in the bass? Maybe Lintons will balance things better? Of course there’s the sub but that may not bring upper bass balance up enough with classic rock. IF the Boreas continue the Triangle house sound that is.

PPS: KEF R3? Hmmmmm. Maybe an alternate?
    Wharfedale Linton review | What Hi-Fi?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  6. telemike

bhazen likes this.
  7. telemike

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...WMAF6BAgIEAE&usg=AOvVaw3NSvq9h1y_Gg6cuc0PjfHz

Rick58 likes this.
  8. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

I'd also look at the offerings of tannoy and kef

bhazen likes this.
  9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Elac Reference DBR62. Endgame, for $600/pr. price point

Clonesteak and jbmcb like this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Problem is, they may not be your last pair.... Those Boston Acoustics w/Sub are nothing to sneeze about!:righton:

allthumbs likes this.
  11. telemike

I know! They really sound amazing for the $300 I have invested. I just don't care for the piano black finish...rather have walnut.

allthumbs and Bingo Bongo like this.
  12. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

You might be able to get them refinished. It's just veneer. Make a few calls to some furniture refinishing places. Speakers should be relatively cheap to do.

13. telemike

Maybe I'll just keep the Boston's. Seven Steps to Heaven sounds so good with the Rotel.

I hate Audiofool upgraditis

14. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

I'll assume you just add to the collection........like me.

15. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I really like my Elac Uni-Fi speakers. If you really love imaging those would be a good choice but... you need some power feeding them.

bhazen likes this.
  16. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Hey if you like the current sound of your speakers then keep them. Don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

bhazen likes this.
  17. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I guess I don't understand the difference between buying your next pair of speakers and your last pair of speakers. Are there really that many people who say "Ok, let me buy these and hope I can get 7 years from them before getting my endgame speakers."? I go into a new speaker purchase with the frame of mind that I'm buying the best I can afford...now. If they last the rest of my life then great...if not, I will replace them when something else stirs my soul or somehow my needs change. This isn't marriage without a prenup - it's just a purchase. Let's not put too much pressure on ourselves in this hobby.

18. Davey

Davey NP: Wayne Shorter ~ Speak No Evil (BN Classic LP)

There's a California dealer on USAM with a pair of LSA 1 Statement monitors listed for $950. They are in Rosewood instead of Walnut, but pretty nice speakers, they use the Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter ... you can often find the older Monitor Audio Gold speakers with ribbon tweeter for around $1000 too ... and maybe a used set of Ascend Sierra 2 with Raal ribbon tweeter, or B-stock, but they don't offer walnut, think they have dark cherry and natural bamboo ...

https://hometheaterreview.com/living-sounds-audio-lsa1-statement-monitor-reviewed/

LSA 1 Statement Speakers in Rosewood

mreeter and Helom like this.
  19. Helom

Helom Forum member

My vote would be for that beautiful pair of LSA 1s linked above.

20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Klipsch RP600M and Golden Ear BRX are some other well-reviewed speakers in your price range, although I don't think either will fit the Walnut requirement.

21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ah those are NICE, we were listening at Audio Element and they sounded nice and open throughout the whole space. Nice with Zeppelin, nice with Miles Davis, nicer than the EVO 4.4 which had a very narrow sweet spot. They remind me in a good way of speakers I built as a teen just starting out as a loudspeaker engineer (well OK I wasn't in engineering school yet). The problem with you buying Lintons is the 8" woofers in large ported boxes will then make you want to upgrade your subwoofer ;)

Now the Focal 906, my friend has 936 which are also wonderful, but the 906 is not the same animal as a Linton at all. Having heard the 906 previously, I give the separate mid and larger woofer and cabinet in the Lintons the edge. The stands are slick and the overall price I think very very reasonable for what you get. I could get a set of Lintons and die with them if that was what my budget allowed.

mreeter and maglorine like this.
  22. Nick_w

Nick_w Member

I had a set of Paradigm Reference Studio 40 v2 about 20 years ago. I kept them for about 2years. They replaced the B&W 601's I had previously. They bested the B&W's by a large margin.

Overall the Studio 40's did a lot of things right. Detail, imaging, soundstage, bass and resolving power (both for the price, and also at low volumes), etc.. However I eventually replaced them for 2 reasons:
    - The first was the tweeter, I found it too hot. It gave great detail by being tilted up, but that also became fatiguing during listening sessions. By 1hr it was bothering me, by hour 2 or 3 I had to stop listening and do something else.
    - The second thing I wanted was a more open speaker with better tone and timbre. This eventually led me to Magnepan's. then Martin Logan'. I wouldn't recommend either of these speakers if you want something for Rock. Jazz yes, but not for Rock.

If you like the Paradigm Reference sound, I would suggest a set of Energy Veritas. The Veritas was Energy's top speaker at the time of Paradigm Reference V2 and v3. I found the Energy and Paradigm speakers to be very comparable, with one major difference: The tweeter and how they handled the top end. The Paradigm's where forward and bright, the Energy's were more relaxed and balanced. In a short store demo most everyone would pick the Paradigm, I did, as others I know. But once you got home and started living with it, the Veritas was the speaker you wanted. It would just take you several months to realize it.

I can't comment on the other speakers, as I have no experience with them.

I hope this helps.

benzo likes this.
  23. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

What amp receiver do you recommend- I may have to upgrade my older onkyo rated higher than the 4 ohms -

24. guitarguy

guitarguy Tone Meister

Please...DO NOT buy new Tannoy as that would only enrich a rich a$$hole (Uli Behringer) who is doing everything he can to destroy the brand.

25. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

For what it's worth. I love my KEF speakers (I have a pair of LS50s and a pair of R3s). I auditioned these against speakers by Elac, Tannoy, and others when I bought them. I thought the Tannoys sounded terrible (unfortunately, I can't remember which model, but something comparable to the LS50s in price). I was really surprised. Strident and ugly. I can't say anything about the brand (Tannoy) in general, but, it's a data point for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.