Third Man Records and Revenant Records to co release Paramount box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by malfano, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Is there a song list for this? I know Cajun musicians Leo Soileau and Moise Robin recorded for Paramount but I would like to check if other Cajun artists did too.

2. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

I could see the MP3s being a bonus I suppose.....it's very tempting that's for sure....if I get another hit of cash I might go for it....we will see.

:)

3. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Vocalion's written files document 17 tracks Patton recorded (some with wife Bertha Lee) in early 1934. The files also contain notations that indicate the recordings were rejected in 1938, and it is believed the formal note that they were rejected means they were also destroyed rather than warehoused.

John Fahey is the person who first wrote about these recordings in his 1970 book about Charlie Patton. You can read about the recordings here:

http://blindman.fr.yuku.com/topic/15818

GroovinGarrett, eddiel and Mr. H like this.
  4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

The whole package is incredible. And the MP3s sound fine (well, as fine as cheaply-made recordings from the -teens and '20s can sound).

5. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

#1 Wood case
    #2 Aluminum case
    :yikes:

6. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

#1 Gold labels on burled chesnut vinyl
    #2 No labels on white vinyl

7. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

honestly I wasn't knocking Mp3s as a format....more for me...they can get lost in the shuffle of the thousands and thousands of files I have on my computer and 5 or 6 external hard drives....I have I think 7 or 8 Terabytes of stuff...maybe more like 10 now...it's insane/

I am not talking stolen music etc...I work as an artist...so I have thousands and thousands of art files...reference etc...and tons of music files....20 years the stuff really stacks up/

I just want to get off the computer at the end of the day...so for me having a catalog of 800 songs as MP3s...might get lost in all the madness that is this 'magic machine' that is supposed to make your life easier....but I find it just a HUGE closet I keep filling with more stuff

!!

hahaha

Mr. H likes this.
  8. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

I was able to get Vol 1 at Third Man's store on release day. This year I won't be that lucky, but I will be ordering this as soon as it's for sale.

9. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Any news on price yet?

10. Beaneydave

Yes Dave Spin ( in the UK) have it at £399.99.
    Cheers Dave , no problem Dave
    Peace and love✌

11. ruben lopez

It's a bit smaller than volume one.
    [​IMG]

Scope J and Tjazz like this.
  12. ruben lopez

Hey everybody,the 2015 Calendar is here,it's worth 37,000 dollars!,it costs less than 40,what a deal.:edthumbs:
    http://bluesimages.com/index.html

13. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I would be the first to buy one of these if the accompanying compilation was pressed on vinyl. Unfortunately I don't have a cd player.

14. ruben lopez

Well,i have the same problem;in my listening room only vinyl is allowed to enter,but in the kitchen....:)
    ...a cd player is very handy when you cook,wash the dishes etc.
    This one is very similar to the one i have:
    [​IMG]

15. Beaneydave

I've never tried cooking or washing with a CD player!
    ;)

ruben lopez likes this.
  16. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

17. ruben lopez

18. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

After reading this article, I understand why they went for a silver metal case, but I was hoping the two Paramount sets would match when placed side by side. I'm much more fond of the wood cabinet as it reminds me of that long ago time in the 1920's and 30's.

Nonetheless, I'm sure the music will be great and I'll likely cave on buying Vol. 2. But I'm not feeling the urgency like I did for Vol. 1.

19. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

£517 on Amazon.co at the moment, am hoping it drops as I managed to get Vol 1 at about half of of that.

20. Beaneydave

It's on Spin (uk site) at £399.99 & over £500 at Amazon uk.
    Must say Amazon's prices are all over the place since they started paying uk Taxes!!
    I got the George Harrison Apple box set cheaper in a HMV store than it was on Amazon the other week!

21. ruben lopez

I think the price is the same as volume 1: 400 dollars plus taxes.

22. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

It seems like ordering directly from Third Man might be the cheapest option for the US, presuming $400 plus $33 FedEx home delivery option they're currently offering for the first one (I'm guessing that shipping amount might vary depending on location); Amazon with Free or Prime shipping is still going to add tax, so you're presumably going to end up north of $500. Anyone have any troubles with shipping from Third Man on the first one? Is it enough of an issue that I'd want to pay $100 more to go with Amazon?

23. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

I don't think the problems with Third Man concerned the shipping but more to do with their reluctance/failure to resolve any problems you may have with the box when it has been delivered, unlike Amazon.

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  24. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

Gotcha - I see that disclaimer on the current set from their site; will have to mull that over...

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  25. Beaneydave

Duty charges to uk was my only issue with direct order from third man - not their fault but it did push the price up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.