Those bose speakers in the music section of Best Buy...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ctiger2, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

I've never listened to Gallos, so i can't make any recommendations regarding. When i do say bad things about Bose to acquaintances who are considering them, i steer them towards Cambridge Soundworks.

Hey, Chris, PM me about that BF target CD, OK?

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Cambridge Soundworks, maybe?

3. Ian

Ian Active Member

I usually try to get them into Paradigm.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Nope, my dad has a set of those Bose and they do SUUUUUCK. I gave my dad a nice pair of modified Pioneer R700's and he just let's them collect dust. I told him he should use the big speakers for his fronts. But no. :( :rolleyes:

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree, a lot of speaker for the money. :)

6. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

7. Ian

Ian Active Member

Those look interesting indeed. You can tell they're aimed directly at Bose.

8. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I read more of that page after posting here. Did you notice the little dig they take at Bose?

:D I actually don't know of other companies that make "micro satellites".

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Not to add insult to injury, but if my dad told me to take a budget for HiFi and "run with it", I would absolutely want to go with tubes and older speakers. I'm sure he would argue the fact that he didn't want something that ran "so hot" in the living room with "ugly, bulky" speakers.

The only reason my dad didn't buy the cubes is because I told him they were terrible. So he bought larger sattelite Bose models. :rolleyes:

89% of his listening or more is FM radio broadacst though. I tried the CD thing and even HDCD just to see if he flinched. Nothing.

But his listening isn't what he's known for. He's a killer financial advisor. You can't always get what you want. ;)

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. I am sure the looks had a lot to do with the decision. My dad hides his bose behind a plate on the top of his home entertainment center for ever worse sound.

I told my dad Bose sucked but he didn't listen. I suppose compared to the sound of his previous console/coffee table system the Bose sounded pretty good.
    :rolleyes:

11. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Well, my long-deceased dad never owned Bose speakers (he was too poor to buy one anyway). And I passed over Bose when I went speaker-shopping because I felt that I could buy speakers that perform just as well as those Boses at half the price or less.

And yes, speaker design IS a compromise: Micro-satellite speakers cannot reproduce the upper bass and/or lower midrange accurately. And huge floor-standing speakers with huge woofers severely complicate the design of loudspeaker systems, requiring multiple speaker drivers that increase the already huge size and expense even more. I've heard many a 12" or 15" 3-way system which "beamed" in the midrange - because they've compromised greatly in the choice of midrange drivers (typically 4" to 5" cone midranges, and nothing at all whatsoever between that 4-5" midrange and that 12-15" woofer). Medium-sized loudspeakers generally deliver the most accurate sound (over the widest range of audible frequencies) in the "smallest" practical size with the fewest practical number of drivers.

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

NHT super-zeros with a sub maybe?

13. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Nice to see a teenager who appreciates the sound of vinyl! :edthumbs:

14. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I useta prowl the surplus catalogs when I first started building speakers 20 some odd years ago - the Bose drivers (ususally hinted at with clever techniques like "rhymes with nose" since the surplus source wasn't sposed to mention the actual brand names) always had small magnets and anemic specs - great markup for Bose...

15. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

If I were a Gort I'd lock this thread, just so I wouldn't have to see the word 'Bose' on SH.tv.....:D

Maybe I can find one to bribe into having it 'vanish' along with a barge full of Wave Radios with a ticket to the bottom of the Pacific, if there were justice on this earth.....

:ed:

16. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I'm glad to see this thread resurrected. It was before my time here, and I'm glad to see that others feel this way. I was offended by this company back in the 70's not just because I thought there stuff was unimpressive to me, but by their attempt to dupe the public into believing that stuff was superior by trying to lay bogus technical philosophy on us. You'd be surprised at how many people bought their crap, hook, line and sinker. They could now come up with the world's best product and I'd probably never buy it. I'm afraid that they have permanently alienated me. I though for decades that I was the only one that felt this way.

I still have some clients that want to incorporate some of thier products into their systems. At least I'm honest with them when I tell them why I don't like this company, and I admit that my reasoning may be a bit anal on this matter. I always let them make up their own mind. Often they don't give a hoot what they sound like, as long as they are small and blend in with their decor.

17. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

There is simply nothing like black gold!

18. Ed Bishop

And you landed in the right place for such things! :edthumbs:

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:laugh:

Bad
    Obsolete
    Sound
    Equipment ;)

20. Joe Nino-Hernes

Or

Bad
    Over priced
    Sound
    Equipment
    :D

21. Ed Bishop

Wouldn't be hilarious if the president of Bose were lurking here right now? :laugh:

22. Joe Nino-Hernes

I wish he would be!

When ever our acoustics professor shows us videos with Dr. Bose in them, he shuts off the sound durring his parts, so that we may throw things at the screen, and voice our thoughts about the man and his fantastic product line :D

23. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:wave: Hi, Mr. Bose president :wave: :D

24. Ed Bishop

We could voice our true thoughts here, too....and get mildly Gorted! :D

25. Ian

Ian Active Member

Pity the poor musician that gets suckered into this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.