Those cheap DVD cases!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

When I occasionally get a DVD these days, it comes in a paper-weight light flimsy clamshell... And there's never an insert.

I guess we'll save the planet from a plastic meltdown, and it must add so much more revenue for the sellers :(

Is the Bluray packaging decent?

I like the shorter look of the Bluray package

MarkTheShark and LeBon Bush like this.
  2. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Blu Ray packaging is quite decent in my experience - I've never experienced cracked Blu cases or super-flimsy ones. However, don't expect inserts - they're mostly advertisements for other Blu ray releases, if there even are any (which isn't too common these days). When compared to some gorgeous Laserdisc gatefolds or the japanese Twin Peaks box (also on Laserdisc, released in 1991) with a giant booklet and a town map, you don't get much spectacle in movie packaging these days... :sigh:

audiomixer, lightbulb and John B Good like this.
  3. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

A lot of Blu-Rays use "eco" packaging now with the cutouts in the blue plastic case. You have to be careful when grabbing them as your fingers start pushing the paper artwork through the holes. They used to be solid.

4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

That’s mostly just in the United States. Criterion uses Scanavo cases, which are better quality and don’t have holes. Most U.K. labels use Amaray cases, which are also good.

I order online a lot, so, occasionally, I get a broken case. For this reason, I keep a small supply of Scanavo and Amaray cases in reserve.

LSP2003 likes this.
  5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The older BDs have good quality cases, most nowadays are the Eco cases, which aren't so great, but what can one do?

LSP2003 likes this.
  6. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

The Criterions are always fine. I keep a box of empty cases as well.

stepeanut likes this.
  7. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

If you really care you can replace them with new ones that are not eco, but I try not to get that concerned. I do swap them out if I do get rid of a disc that has good case.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea those thin cheap wagon wheel DVD cases have now migrated to BD...I also cannot stand the snap latch on some BD cases...it always breaks or does not close after a while.

LSP2003 likes this.
  9. John B Good

It was a recent Criterion disk (Umbrellas of Cherbourg) that brought this thread to my mind. It is noticeably lighter than they used to be :(

10. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I do not like how the clear, outer plastic can get rippled sometimes, but I really try to not worry about that too much. I am also not a fan of those latches!

11. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I do expect a higher level of case from a Criterion though..

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I should do that. I will try to remember to do that next time I trade some movies in.

LSP2003 likes this.
  13. Michael

those scanavo thin clear cases leech onto the DVD and caused goo, cloudiness and slime...I have a bunch of DVDs affected by this...all here should check if you have any.

John B Good and LSP2003 like this.
  14. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Scanavo are a Danish company, and while their cases are best known in the U.S. as ‘Criterion’ cases, they are not unique to Criterion. I’ve bought BDs from as far afield as Japan that use the exact same Scanavo cases.

15. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I pulled mine out of those a long time go. Nasty!

16. Michael

yea, it was a shocker! I used 91% alcohol to remove the crud.

17. John B Good

For the price we play, absolutely!

I'm concerned about the reference to the clear case, contaminating the disk? I've just received two Criterion disks that have a 'clear' case.

The DVD doesn't actually contact the case, just a small area around the spindle. Should I be concerned?

18. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

The ones that I knew that had a problem were made by Scanavo and they were the slim cases (the ones in series box sets) as Michael stated above.

longdist01 and John B Good like this.
  19. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I throw away the cases and replace them with DiscSox anyway. But Criterion’s “special” covers don’t fit in them. And I mean “special” in the sarcastic, mean way.

20. Michael

some of the Scanavo clear cases release a gas that aggravates the DVD and causes a gooey residue reaction. Just check your DVDs occasionally or change the case...my Leave It To beaver Complete DVD Box recently got some goo...so it's not limited to only the slim clear cases...BUT it seems only the clear cases have this problem...

21. John B Good

I still think with the price of Criterion product that we should not have to worry about such a thing.

Is wonder if Criterion is even aware of this problem?

22. Michael

not sure? but if they do they don't care...

23. John B Good

PS Is it possible to buy the old style Amaray cases anywhere? I'd like to put some newer DVDs in more substantial cases then they now come in?

24. Michael

Vinegar Syndrome, Twilight Time, Olive, Arrow, Criterion have nice sturdy BD cases.

25. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I hate Blu-ray and dvd cases as they’re space hogs. I’ve been moving most of my discs into those hard plastic slim CD cases over the years. I also use loose leaf binders for sets and TV shows. I don’t use binders that actually have their pages in binding. I fear they’re too tight and put too much pressure on the discs.

I’ll have to check my Criterions as I’ve generally left those alone. @Michael is it any clear case or any slim DVD case?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.