Thoughts on Beatles 2009 Remasters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Beatles For Sale has great sound.

2. I have the 87 and 09 of Abbey Road and played them both this morning and have come to the conclusion i like them both. Yes, they are slightly different and there maybe errors on both but i am glad i have them. Great music. I have a slight issue with my right ear in terms of hearing after a near fatal accident this year. Because of that i find the 2009 issue easier to listen to as it does not have some of the piercing high notes that the 87 has. That is what i find. Many wont agree:wave:

3. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Very well put, now the brainwashed people are on about the Dylan remasters in another thread - I'm struggling about how to explain to them. It seems hopeless at times.

4. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

there are "some" good aspects to the 2009 remasters. mainly fixed audio glitches (like at the start of helter skelter) and most use the full cd frequency range of 22.05khz. the 1980's cds are rolled of below 20khz.

Keith V likes this.
  5. Dan The Man1

Dan The Man1 Never Could Be Any Other Way

I do.

rnranimal likes this.
  6. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Why?

7. Dan The Man1

When I first heard BFS in stereo I loved it, but after subsequent listens I just don’t care for the wonky mix and the reverb. Mono just sounds more cohesive and rhythmic.

8. Dan The Man1

Capitol Albums CDs were first stereo available.

Michael likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL, dude you are in a monomaniac 1 ear world around here...wide-stereo is most hated ...

10. Dan The Man1

Point would be the LP is 24 bit and CD is 16 bit.

Daniel Thomas and Clonesteak like this.
  11. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

Many members on this site (including Steve Hoffman, I believe) don't really like the Giles Martin remix of Sgt Pepper. I do.
    What I don't like about the 2009 Remasters is the stereo mix on many albums where most of the instruments are in one side & the voices are on the other side. Maybe Martin son's remix of Pepper isn't perfect but it's in true stereo, to my ears anyways. Also, if there is one song in particular that I wish I could hear remixed in stereo, it's "I am the Walrus". Here's why : for most of the song the drums are buried even in the 2009 Remaster which bummed me out. I was expecting, finally a clear separation of instruments and finally being able to hear Ringo hitting the toms in certain passages. On the Anthology those passages are nice and clear although the Walrus track isn't the final product but the drumming makes the song even better.

So, I would prefer a whole remix of the BeaTles' albums over the 2009 Remasters.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  12. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

You can, after Anthology it was mixed two more times at least. In 2006 for Love, but this version has some extra stff in the intro and perhaps outro, and in 2012 for Magical Mystery Tour DVD/BD release.
    Me too. It would be at least interesting to check out.

13. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Thats a pointless argument. The LPs where maybe mastered from 24bit files (so where the cds) but vinyl can't reproduce that signal-to-noise ratio. It's around 12bit at best.

14. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Also, no limiting was applied to the LPs.

15. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Huuh? Was all of the Mystery Tour stuff remixed in stereo??? And remixed not remastered?

16. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Bottom line to me: The LPs sound better than the CDs to my ears. If the CDs sound better to you than enjoy those. I love my box sets of The Beatles on vinyl. I really like the 2009 over the 87 CDs. I sold them to my local so another person can enjoy themselves some Beatles music on the cheap. I usually play the vinyl if I want to listen to The Beatles. 2009 CDs are on my phone as MP3 format. Good enough for the car and office.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  17. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Which box sets are you referring to?

18. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

The 2012 release on DVD and Bluray has six MMT songs remixed, in LPCM stereo and also in 5.1. I think it also has that "wild accordeon" music in stereo too? Maybe even for the first time, but I might be wrong about that.

The downside is that they are available within the movie only, and some of them have talking and other movie sounds in the intro and outro.
    The worst is the title track, as the music goes down during the 'commercial' text ("when a man buys a ticket to Magical Mystery Tour, he knows what to expect...").

19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Are they were getting anyway?

20. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

The recent Stereo and Mono Box sets. 2014?

21. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident

I didn't like "Beatles For Sale" until I heard it in stereo. The mono LP is flat and lifeless, like many mono mixes. That reverb on the stereo mix gives it life and allows the sonic clarity of all the parts to come through.

bobcat likes this.
  22. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

The mono vinyl box was released in 2014. Not sure what stereo box you are referring to.

23. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Pretty sure he meant the 2009 Stereo's.

Clonesteak likes this.
  24. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

He said vinyl.

25. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

The 2009 stereo remasters were released on vinyl in 2012, that's the box set referred to.

StateOfTheArt and Clonesteak like this.