Thoughts on Denon DP-37F TT?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ben Adams, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

I found a visually near-mint Denon DP-37F today and am thinking about picking it up on Friday (payday). It has the stock Denon DL-65 cart which I'm 99% sure needs to be replaced, but fortunately I've got something here I can stick onto it.

This is the model with the gorgeous wooden plinth.

Worth $120, do you think -- assuming everything works when I test-drive it? I know parts are hard to come by if it winds up needing repair . . . but it's just a beautiful-looking table.

[​IMG]

2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I like it, if it works I would pull the trigger.

3. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

You'll want to thoroughly check it.

A lot of these old Denon's look ok, and the automatic functions may even appear to function correctly, but then they have hidden issues with skipping, or the arm suddenly lifting up and returning in the middle of a side.

4. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

re: buying?

Hey Ben,

I recently purchased a flawless 1 owner Denon DP45-F TT. It was from a local audiophile (retired engineer) here in Winnipeg. I paid $150 for it joyfully.

Now one of my best friends knew the owner and how finicky he was about his equipment and so there was NO risk with this table. It had even had some of the electrolytic capacitors already replaced and all functions worked perfectly.

If you look around a little on E-Bay (Internationally - not just the U.S.) I think you will find that $120 is very fair if all is in working order. Go to this site and you will find your exact table for substantially more $$ - it is
    - www.hifido.co.jp / type in the genre and Denon and you will see what they have for sale and for how much.

I hope this helps and good luck with the decision.

cat9

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Well worth $120.

6. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Worth the money if it works. Know that the ICs that run the tonearm and other functions on those Denon are infamous for failing and are irreplaceable. If they are fine they may be fine for a while. I don't trust the wonky tonearms, but I'm funny like that.

7. Ben Adams

I'm leaning towards this, assuming I'm able to audition it in the shop.

Does anyone know what the list price was for this table back in the '80s? I've looked around online but can't find it.

8. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

In my experience with a Denon, mine's proven to be a workhorse. It gets daily use and I have been very pleased...you will be too!

9. Ben Adams

I went back to look at it today and found that the cantilever was destroyed, so the stock stylus is unusable. If I want to audition it in the shop, I'll have to go in with one of my own spare carts, install it, and check it out. This is a general second-hand shop, not a stereo shop, and all sales are final -- so obviously I want to audition this thing.

So I figure I'll go back in a couple weeks. If it's still there, I'll test it with my cart, and buy it if everything's hunky dory.

10. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I bought a Denon DP-31L in 1982 and it finally bit the dust last year (frozen motor). Felt like I was losing a great old dog.

That's a beautiful table in the OP's first post. Good luck. :cool:

Jeff

11. Ben Adams

Going back tomorrow with a spare cartridge so I can test it out. Hopefully it's still there. Fingers crossed. It is such a lovely table.

12. Ben Adams

It's mine. And it works. Talked them down to $90. :D

13. PhilBiker

PICS? And please post this beauty regularly in the "Long and Winding" Listening on vinyl thread.

14. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Welcome to the world of Denon DD!!

Congrats on the TT and the price. Wishing you years of vinyl spinning enjoyment from your "new" table.

Good listening!

cat9

15. Ben Adams

You say you want a pic?

DSCN2048.jpg

The LP is Lou Reed's Transformer.

16. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

I'd buy it for that price no problem, per the info you supplied.

17. Ben Adams

I'm already very happy with it.

Here's 60 seconds of "Baby You're a Rich Man," from a 1970s German pressing of Magical Mystery Tour.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9s4fty

I've since increased the tracking .25 of a gram, sounds even better . . . but this lets you know how the table sounded right after I installed my Shure M97xE on it.

18. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Congrats and I'm sure you'll find many years of enjoyment with this table. You got it for a very nice price too!

19. PhilBiker

Sounds fabulous. "Baby You're A Rich Man" is fake stereo on my US purple label Capitol copy of MMT.

20. Ben Adams

I think it's fake stereo on all vinyl pressings except the German ones. Dig Paul's bass, the way it just vmoomps down, like something you'd expect from John Entwistle. Whoever mixed and EQ'ed the stereo version for the German vinyl deserves a medal. The CD version is an entirely different stereo mix with different instrument placing on the soundstage, and the bass isn't nearly as prominent!

21. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Enjoy that beauty, Ben! There ain't nothing like 80's japanese engineering.

Now you'll want a new Denon cartridge to go with it ;)

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yep. I had a DP52F many moons ago. After I repaired it for this issue I sold it and got a British belt driven table. Much better sounding and it still works, way longer than the Denon. The Denon tables look great and sound good but are not as nice under the hood as they appear on top. Performance is better than many cheap tables from the big Japanese names but only as good as the best of them. None are are nice as the British designs or American designs when it comes to either sound or longevity. $120 isn't the end of the world though.
    -bill

23. Ben Adams

Heh, I do believe you're right. I think my first step will be to replace the stock stylus and get the original Denon cartridge going again. The stock styli go for only $60.

I need to get my hands on a Denon overhang gauge, because with my eyesight, my calipers just aren't accurate enough. I know the gauges ship with Denon carts, so I've got a WTB ad for one in the sale/trade subforum.

24. Ben Adams

$90 is even better. I appreciate the advice, and I know one of these days I'll be picking up a table from one of the modern boutique manufacturers . . . but I fell in love with this one when I saw it. There's a good deal of irrationality in this purchase. What can I say?

25. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

I don't know the specs for the DL-65, but you already have two in the sub-100 class. I think you really need a higher quality tip to stand a fighting chance on those difficult inner grooves and would put that down towards a DL-110 instead.

The Denon gauge that comes with the 110/160 (if that's the one you're looking at) has marks from 47 to 53 mm (and one at 38 mm). I recommend Conrad's arc protractor program from VinylEngine (I use Löfgren A = Baerwald with 66 and 120.9 mm null points). Nothing beats an arc to get overhang correct.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.