Thoughts on Harbeth P3ESR as an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Which do you prefer?

2. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

I listened to a pair of LS50's in Portland at Echo Audio downtown for about 10 mins. They threw a big soundstage and disappeared VERY convincingly at even moderate volume. I can see why many consider them a reference speaker.

3. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I found they do like some space around them.

4. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Allowing these speakers to breath, that's the whole Harbeth range, is key. Match the Harbeth to your room and your in audio heaven.

raferx likes this.
  5. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Tough call. I do love the Harbeths. But if I had to pick one or the other it would be the KEF's.

They are just so FUN to listen to. The Harbeths certainly have their charms, but the dynamics and detail on the LS50's are amazing.

6. raferx

Thanks for that Gord.
    I'm going to try them in the same location I had my B&W's, which, because of room size/set-up, is 15" out from the rear wall, 40" from the side walls and 9' apart with a touch of toe-in.
    Anyone know how they would respond to wall treatment directly behind them? I can get some from a friend to try, so I thought "why not?"
    And still no rug on my hardwood... *sigh.

7. Gordon Johnson

Just try as much as you can and see what you like best.
    Though i had no toe in on y 30.1's but a few ago tried a little bit of angle, seems I'm going with that for he moment.

8. Gordon Johnson

Yep, really tough call but one based (i'd say) mostly on the type of music you listen to the most. Bit more of a rock edge?That or your set up is really matched for these speakers?
    Dynamic's and detail are a plenty and a more than a match for the LS50's.
    Would be nice to have a pair of the 50's as well as my Harbeth's:)

9. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

How would you characterize the difference between the two? Which would be more appropriate for which type of music, would you say? I'm asking because it seems like you've compared the two. Years ago I asked about an earlier version of the Harbeth P3. Forum members recommended trying these. I was looking (and still am) for the ultimate monitor for reproducing human voice, particularly speech, so deep impact bass wouldn't be as much so a concern, like it might be for full-range music, whether rock or symphony orchestra. At the same time I don't want a mid- or upper-bass hump to give the illusion of weight. I haven't been able to audition - no local dealers have them set up, unfortunately. I have read raves about the KEF LS 50s, too, and they seem possibly to be a slightly better value.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  10. Gordon Johnson

This comes down to reproduction of the human voice. Hands down, the Harbeth gets my vote in any size room / matched speaker. The reproduction of the voice is the hardest to achieve, Harbeth do this so wonderfully well. The 30'1's I have are jaw dropping, even now I have to look up when I hear speech from these, I am fooled into thinking someone is in the room. That never happened with any other speaker I have listened to. In part this "trick" is down to taking the sound out of the box but the fact the vocal sounds "real" like no other is no trick!

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Art, do you still feel this way re: the S3/5r2s? I was thinking of a trip to Portland to hear them, but simply cannot swing the $$$$ for Alan Shaw's little gems.

I must say that demo-ing via P3s may have had a lot to do with my purchase of the Croft Integrated ...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  12. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I really do. The Classic series Spendor speakers are quite special. The P3 may be a just a bit better speaker but the tiny Spendor is superb.

bhazen likes this.
  13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

FWIW, Stereotypes suggested the S3/5 as the natural match for the Croft piece ... if I couldn't swing for the P3. :)

raferx likes this.
  14. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Let me know if you want to go down to Portland, I'll go down with you. I'm up at Eastgate.

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Anyone have any opinions on the break in time for a pair of P3ESRs?

16. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

I didn’t experience any...

bhazen likes this.
  17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Oddly enough, that's what I've gleaned from almost everybody with experience of the P3 (including Alan Shaw). Mine sounded decent out of the box, but proceeded to sound distorted and well, broken as days went by. I switched out the Croft integrated for my spare (Rega Brio-R) and things clarified a bit, but still sounded lousy. But over the last day or so, they seem to be coming into focus!

I called the dealer, made noises about maybe/possibly exchanging for something else, and they urged me to give 'em 100 hours minimum(!!) ... weird, huh.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  18. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I asked to buy the stores demo models rather than a new-in-box pair when I bought mine. They had 100-ish hours on them I was told.

19. raferx

Mine were amazing from the get-go, and only got better... but yeah, give them some time I guess. If it persists take 'em back.

beowulf and bhazen like this.
  20. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

They sound decent this morning. Go figure!

Thank goodness for a pugnacious solid-state amp, and the "repeat" button on my universal player.

jupiterboy and raferx like this.
  21. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

New speakers should not sound distorted.

Gordon Johnson and bhazen like this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

P3ESR update: after 70-80 hours of play, they are really coming on-song. Rather pleasureable listening. No more fuzzy distortion; my experience seems to contradict Alan Shaw himself: a lot of break-in is required.

Interestingly, I have no lack of bass with my setup; but I have mine about 5-6" from the facing wall which, I am informed, violates Harbeth SOP (2-3' of free space). Nevertheless, I have fast, phat bass going on! Go figure. The right speaker for my little room. (At least, 'til I can afford DeVore or Audio Note ...:D)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    beowulf and jon9091 like this.
  23. Johnny Kwok

Johnny Kwok New Member

Hello Raferx

I know this is a old thread. I live in Vancouver BC as well and looking for Harbeth P3ESR. Which speaker did you purchase eventually?

24. raferx

I had the P3ESR and absolutely loved them. They're a truly incredible speaker. Upgraded to the M30.1.

25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Not that I'm considering trading up* but, what do the 30.1s go for these days?

*Just paid off the Visa charges for the P3ESRs ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.