Thoughts on Pace, Rhythm, and Timing (PRaT)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Raylinds, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

Last Sunday I completed my build of my monoblock amps and preamp and spent the evening listening to music. It really sounded great- very crisp detailed and dynamic. Several times during the listening session I noticed that I couldn't stop tapping my feet (actually, my feet were up on my coffee table so it was more wiggling back and forth than tapping, but you get the point), and I don't normally do that when listening, at least not constantly. That got me thinking about whether the new system had more PRaT, as this is usually what many audiphiles will tell you a system with PRaT will have this effect on you. I've always been sceptical of the thought that an audio component or system could present a noticeable enough change in the rhythm of piece of music, but there I was tapping my foot like crazy.

I couldn't help but think that it was simply the fact that the music sounded so vivid and real, that I was getting into it more, and that accounted for the foot tapping. But still, I have to say the transients were very crisp and the bass was tight and fast. I think it very well could be a combination of the two.

Anyway, I thought this could lead to an interesting discussion- what are your thoughts on PRaT?

tyinkc and gregorya like this.
  2. I am not sure about PRaT, but the things you are describing are what keep me excited about this hobby. Dancing around, tapping your feet, or when that passage of music sounds so pure that it makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck-----Now that's the good stuff!!!

tyinkc likes this.
  3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Always been a bit of a head scratcher for me, but my best interpretation is that PRaT is a construct that is related to how well the amp and speakers work together, and how quick the actual drivers are. Maybe lush, musical systems lack PRaT in favor or resonance and warmth. My current mid/bass drivers are made of TPX—very light, rigid material that inspired Harbeth's proprietary driver material. I would say they have more PRaT than my Vandersteens did. With that comes less of an accentuation of decay. That's my two cents.

norman_frappe likes this.
  4. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Based on all the effort you've put into getting the components assembled, I can't imagine that expectation bias would not affect your enjoyment of the system. So it could be PRaT, but it could also be psychology, or a mix of the two.

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

6. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

7. Raylinds

I wouldn't doubt that at all.

8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I don't really put much stock into ascribing PRaT to audio gear, with the possible exception of turntables or tape decks with speed stability issue. I think you're listening to differences of frequency response, phase response, distortion, rise time, etc., and reacting to the way differences in those things present the music. Pace, rhythm and timing are qualities of music, not so much of equipment in my view.

bhazen and norman_frappe like this.
  9. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

N A I M

bhazen likes this.
  10. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

It could be the equipment or it could be the bolivian marching powder.

In all seriousness I don't think much about it and agree with Chervokas for the most part that's its the music not the gear. However, Jupiterboy raises a good point that I have found to be true. Certain speaker types due to materials and designs or being over or under damped can have different presentations and I do notice it. But at the end of the day not something I think much about.

russk likes this.
  11. I have heard/read discussions about equipment where phrases such as "component A is more musical where component B sounds more analytical" are tossed about. As the OP suggests, some systems/components just seem to make me want to "boogie". Others do not have that effect on me, at least to the same degree. I can't explain it but perhaps it does have something to do with PRaT???? Obviously, some music or songs are more rythymic than others, however the same song played on two separate systems will usually sound a bit different to me and illicit a different response in my behavior. Just my 2 cents worth.

12. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

While I have experienced this effect with some equipment, it is worth bearing in mind that it's fine line between PRaT and RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome)... ;)

Raylinds and Sailfree like this.
  13. Raylinds

You've solved the mystery!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.