Thoughts on "Who Are You" (the album) by The Who?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident Thread Starter

What's the conensus around here on "Who Are You" by The Who?

I must admit that as someone who likes mainly their mid 60s mod Era the best, listening to it for the first time (outside of hearing the title track on the radio)....It's different...What are you guys' opinions on it?

2. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I really liked it at the time, but it sounds a bit more dated to me now than other Who albums. Just my opinion though.

3. normanbterrier

normanbterrier Forum Resident

I've always wished I could get access to the master tapes and do my own mix. In most cases, the synths would go down or eliminated altogether.

Gumboo, Gregster, painted8 and 6 others like this.
  4. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

It was the most commercial of all their records. I like it because it was the last record to include Keith Moon. Unfortunately, was played to death by classic radio stations. It is at the bottom of my favorite Who albums.

5. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

It has it's good points, but I agree it was more commercial than their other albums.

6. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

When this came out, I thought Moon sounded "tired" on this record. But the songs, and the way the rest of the band play, are stellar. And Entwistle still gives us a classic like he did every Who album.

7. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Good not great.

Jet Age Eric, Gardo, Evan L and 2 others like this.
  8. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I was just a kid (13) when this came out. At the time, I only knew them from the radio. It was my first Who album. I LOVED it. I had no "history" of the band. It has always been a favorite of mine. However, I am NOT a fan of the remixed cd.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If you're a Who fan, it's an important album just for the fact that it's the last one with Keith Moon. Besides that, neither Moon's playing or the songwriting is anything astounding. It has it's shining moments-most of all in the title track-but most of the rest of it sounds somehow forced to me. I have every Who album between Sell Out and Who Are You as well as My Generation..as far as WAR, I think their best days were behind them.

Dog Ear likes this.
  10. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

A weird album that has never resonated with me. To me it sounds like The Who trying to turn into Foreigner/Journey/Styx/Toto.

painted8, pig bodine, Andrew and 10 others like this.
  11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

This was the album where Pete gave into his indulgence for showtunes. Really the end of a great run as the best rock songwriter of the era. My opinion of course!

painted8, Fullbug, Bigbudukks and 3 others like this.
  12. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

It's no The Who By Numbers.;)

Andrew, Mechanical Man, J_D__ and 9 others like this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more; the best example of the showtune "thing" is Guitar and Pen. Everything about it screams modern day Broadway show not least of all Roger's very script-like vocal delivery.

painted8, Gardo, Zongadude and 2 others like this.
  14. 905

905 Senior Member

Two of my favorite Who songs are on it, Trick of the Light and of course 905.

15. I liked it on release and still like it a lot. Every song has something I like about it.

16. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, it doesn't sound like The Who to me to be honest. It sounds like early 80s Rush or Yes or something like that.

peachyg72 likes this.
  17. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

Tired drumming.

J_D__ likes this.
  18. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

I like it. Not love it. For me, the dud is "Love is Coming Down". You want a ballad on the album? Should have been a version of (the submitted by rejected by the band) "Like it the Way it Is".

mando_dan and Man at C&A like this.
  19. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Well I love it and always have. Is it the best Who record? Of course not.

But I love 'Had Enough,' '905,' 'Trick of the Light,' and the title track. And don't dislike any of the rest.

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It is my third favorite after Leeds (original setlist, not expanded) and Who's Next.

But I might like listening to it most at this point as the other two have been played out by over exposure.

21. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I had trouble with it at the beginning, it just sounded thin, bright, and un-Who-like. But now, a zillion years later, I appreciate it for having a sound that forsaw the sound of the 80's.

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"NOT TO BE TAKEN AWAY" :righton::righton:

guppy270, Gardo, jeffd7030 and 7 others like this.
  23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Serious answer: I like it better than the Kinks late 70's output but not as much as "Some Girls" or even... urgh.... "Back To The Egg" (even though "London Town" would be the corresponding Paul album;)) And obviously not as much as "Who's Next" or "Who By Numbers".

The drumming is shocking. Goes to show what you can do to yourself. But all in all it's decent album. The second half of the 70's wasn't an easy time for that generation. On that level "Who By Numbers" is hard to beat, still one of the best documents of feeling old/ out of place in a once familiar scene.

Mooserfan and Dog Ear like this.
  24. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Beginning of the end for me. Up until it, I was knocked out by everything the Who put out. I think the substances took over, obviously Moon, who was soon "taken away," and the others, too. The group magic was gone for me.

Dog Ear likes this.
  25. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

One of my favorite Who-albums. I love songs like Sister Disco, Guitar And Pen etc. Great stuff, wish they'd do more of it live. I think they did Sister Disco a couple of years ago - but ofcourse not the shows I saw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.