Thrash metal all purpose thread (love AND hate)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DDTM, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HumanMachinery

HumanMachinery Forum Resident

I should also note that Hunting wrote a few of the riffs on Metallica's "Creeping Death" and "Trapped Under Ice."

2. Django

Django Forum Resident

One of the great underrated guitarist of the Thrash era....Tommy Vetterli, aka Tommy T. Baron from Coroner.

3. HumanMachinery

Sadly, Marky Edelmann has quit Coroner. Again.

I am now even more glad that I was able to see them at MDF.

4. Jiri Smahel

Jiri Smahel Forum Resident

Definitely Razor - all catalogue
    S.D.I. - Sign of the Wicked (a kick-ass speed metal record)
    Assassin - early records
    Death in Action - Toxic waste (definitely my favourite one, goes straight into the balls) was released on vinyl only
    Nuclear Simphony - Lost In Wonderland

From the new wave
    The Haunted - all stuff
    Havoc - all stuff
    Municipal Waste - ok, second level but still vulnarable
    Alkoholizer - Drunk or dead (runs as quick as it can all 30 mins)

I can't remember all the underrated German groups from the late '80 and early '90 but there're plenty of them. And there are still plenty of them to discover.

5. HumanMachinery

I can't believe it, but I don't think I've ever made a list of my favorite modern thrash bands!

1. Vektor
    They only have two albums, but they're two of the most brilliant pieces of thrash since 1993. Dear god, just check out the sheer musicianship and absurdity of vision!

2. Black Breath
    Thrash used as the base for mixing death n' roll with powerviolence. Pure skull-thumping barbarian noise here, designed to rip off your head and turn your skull to powder. Use with caution.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74LSUiVyf8

3. Atakke
    A band with only one album and two EPs, only available through eBay and bandcamp downloads, and the full length was released after they split. Obscurist snobbery? Yes, and goddamn if it isn't worth it when you hear those palm-muted downstrokes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YocIu6z49c

4. Toxic Holocaust
    These guys love Venom about as much as Darkthrone. In fact, this is what you might get if Darkthrone sat around all day listening to Venom and Slayer. All aces.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4MK9bJdclc

5. Repugnant
    You may know them as "that band Papa Emeritus used to be in before Ghost." That's true, but it's also selling them damned short. Death thrash with all the ferocity of Sepultura or Sadus.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7jVVBn9s6w

liv3evil likes this.
  6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Not thrash, but fast.

7. DDTM

DDTM Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The one band I've been listening to a lot lately is Mekong Delta, only their first 4 albums so far. Excellent progressive thrash, but very complicated and inaccessible.

HumanMachinery and hkm3 like this.
  8. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

how has no one mentioned the joint best thrash metal album ever???

HumanMachinery likes this.
  9. C. Cushman

C. Cushman Forum Resident

VEKTOR! Excellent band... I saw them in a DIY venue here about a year ago, really nice dudes, some serious skills. They berated the sound guy for playing rap music on the PA before their set.

I'm not into too much thrash, I like the weird stuff though - here's one I don't think has been mentioned yet.

HumanMachinery, hkm3 and DDTM like this.
  10. Kurofuda

Kurofuda Active Member

A recent thrash album currently ripping my face off is Power Trip - Manifest Decimation.

Highly recommended.

11. hkm3

hkm3 Forum Resident

Wow! Now there's a band i thought i would never see on this forum. Stone has somewhat of a legendary status here in Finland. Their first album was released in the US as well (on mechanic, i think) and they managed to do a small tour supporting the mighty Testament, which was not common for a Finnish band those days. One of the guitarists, Roope Latvala, is a member of Children Of Bodom these days. Saw them live a couple of times back in the day.

HumanMachinery and C. Cushman like this.
  12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

As someone who was a fan of thrash in the late 80s, early 90s, I never heard of "groove metal" at the time. Both of these bands (Pantera and Sepultura) were thrash metal, and a lot of these sub genres were not applied until after I had stopped listening - 1994 or so.

13. hkm3

hkm3 Forum Resident

image.jpg

I was a big metalhead in the eighties, nowadays less so. However i still enjoy current bands like Mastodon, Messhuggah, Gojira, Entombed etc. along with all the stuff from the past. This is one of my favorites from my youth...DBC from Canada. Great stuff!

M2225, four sticks and HumanMachinery like this.
  14. C. Cushman

C. Cushman Forum Resident

Right on! Stone's albums are near impossible to get in the US (we can always order from overseas)-- but I will say that in general, Finnish metal rules.

HumanMachinery and hkm3 like this.
  15. hkm3

hkm3 Forum Resident

Finnish metal really seems to have a lot of fans all over the world, which is cool for a small country like Finland. Here is a clip from an obscure band from my hometown from the same timeperiod as Stone. Charged had one foot in the hardcore camp and the other firmly in metal. Really good musicianship for the times and a devoted local following. Check 'em out peoples!

16. HumanMachinery

Yeah, I only began to hear the term "groove metal" batted around about six or seven years ago. The term refers to the way that thrash had a speed limit applied to it in the early '90s, and began to use simplified riffs, syncopated beats, and more breakdowns. You can hear this in bands like White Zombie, Pantera, Machine Head, Prong, Infectious Grooves, and the the albums from that period of that Sepultura, Anthrax, and Coroner.

I like most of the early efforts in this style, though old school purists despise it, and typically refer to it as "the point where metal became infected by mouth-breathing hip hop ********, and America finally lobotomized itself into musical irrelevance."

Not surprisingly, many people at Maryland Deathfest were greatly upset at the prevalence of "Grin" songs in Coroner's setlist.

tkl7 likes this.
  17. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I never considered Pantera to be a thrash metal band. While there is some overlap to Megadeth, etc. I definitely think they fit in an entirely different sub genre.

Edit: Ah yes. Groove metal as noted above. More in common with nu metal than thrash metal, IMO

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    DDTM likes this.
  18. Kurofuda

Kurofuda Active Member

Finnish speed metal attack!

19. four sticks

A new Slayer song (Implode) is now streaming. I'd give it a 4 out of
    10. Same old, same old as the last few albums. Glaringly mediocre.

I think I'll spin Hell Awaits to cleanse the palate.

HumanMachinery and DDTM like this.
  20. Enhance

Enhance Forum Resident

I just downloaded the track from their website. This song is sooooooooo loud and full of clipping everywhere. As for the music, I give it 6 out of 10. Interesting to see if the change to Nuclear Blast will bring something new from their music. What am I talking about? It's Slayer!

21. HumanMachinery

I'm afraid Divine Intervention was the last Slayer album that I liked.

From what I'm told, that's the last one where Jeff Hanneman actually wrote a good chunk of the riffs and melodies. He spent a good chunk of his last 20 years just drinking, playing video games, and being a burnout.

22. four sticks

I think Araya and King have been mailing it in for quite some time as well in terms of creating new music.

23. HumanMachinery

Power Trip, Toxic Holocaust, Ghoul, and Havok are definitely good fixes for that old garage thrash itch.

Peeps wishing that Slayer didn't suck now might also enjoy the (sadly broken up) Iron Age!

24. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Just my $0.02

HumanMachinery and DDTM like this.
  25. four sticks

Playing the new Overkill (White Devil Armory) disc now. Another winner. These guys have knocked it out of the park with their last three releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.