Three Stooges Collection DVDs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I bet the would look nice. The elements look like they've been kept in really good shape over the years.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  2. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

i can hope. I don't know if I want to invest in the dvd set yet. Same for the xfiles. almost bought the dvd set a few months ago, now they are releasing the bluray next month

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They should re-release a Three Stooges short in theaters in front of a kids movie sometime. That would be fun.

Scope J, Benno123 and coltlacey1 like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there would be a parent outcry! Violence, violence, violence!

chilinvilin and coltlacey1 like this.
  5. Michael

... at $22.99 for the box set? by the way the DVD set looks fabulous!

6. Michael

yes, but I cannot imagine anyone not being happy with the image quality of the box...

7. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

It varies, I just prefer to have Blu-ray to each his own

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

I can dig it...I don't have to have a BR to enjoy a movie or TV show, but that's just me.

9. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I do wonder how many more gags the increased resolution of Blu-ray would spoil. With the increased quality of the DVDs (which are
    fantastic), you often see strings in place to yank props out of the frame, or specially-prepared props that give away what's about to happen to them.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wait... The Three Stooges aren't real?

:(

chilinvilin likes this.
  11. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Help me on this. Was in Target yesterday and saw the Three Stooges box set(the red one with the "rare" footage and story/commentary from a Stooges son.) Worth getting?

Michael likes this.
  12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I wouldn't turn down a free Blu-ray set if it was offered to me, but after buying most of the DVD sets from Columbia for good prices (~$15 each) then getting the Ultimate Collection for under $30, which included everything I'd bought plus more, I'm through with Stooges purchases.

13. DreadPikathulhu

Mark Nelson likes this.
  14. RockWizard

Yes, that's the one. Guess I'll go back and grab it.

Michael likes this.
  15. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

While it will not set the world on fire as the final word on all things Stooges this IS the best visual "biography" done on the Boys. Moe's son produced and stars, as well as many other Stooges family members making appearances, and this allows for access to previously unseen family photos, movies, etc. Plus, add on top footage from the Columbia shorts and not just the standard Public Domain Four shorts and you have a winner.

Like I said would I call it the end all of end all Stooges biography films? Probably not as I am sure there could be more done. But if this is all that we will ever see again then that is fine, what a great deal and what a fabulous story it tells!

The one down side: that theme song that plays every single start of each episode. I have watched this series 3 times since May and each time I just skip the song. Besides that, I would rate this a 9.5 out of 10!

16. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

But how do you grapple with the fact that an apple never falls far from the tree?

dangiedr and Benno123 like this.
  17. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I'd be very surprised if that ever happens. The $22 deal for the DVD box set that jump-started this thread again is only the latest of multiple times that this set has been steeply discounted. I think the relatively anemic sales that has prompted such discounting can be directly attributed to Stooges fans getting tired of double-dipping - a lot of people bought the individual sets as they were released, then got pretty irritated when the big box set came out with an (at the time) exclusive bonus disc, then broke down and bought the big set anyway when it started getting discounted to $30 and below.

Given the slow sales of the big DVD box, the studio would have to have a pretty compelling reason to crank out a Blu-ray set. I think a Blu set would have even slower sales as it would almost certainly not be a huge leap in quality over the well-mastered DVDs, and many people that already have two copies of the DVDs are not going to be eager to upgrade.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  18. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Luckily, I only bought one box - the green one with Shemp and Joe Besser. Watched it, loved it and my wife bought the black box. Then sold the Shemp set on eBay so I wasn't stuck with two copies.

coltlacey1 and Scope J like this.
  19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I still have the original issues. I don't really need the big slip case. However, I bought two boxes last year as Christmas gifts when they got cheap at Best Buy. I may do so again this year.

Be aware that getting the 3D episodes is unlikely in current copies of the big black box.

20. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

3D? News to me, I didn't know there was such a thing in Stoogedom. But a quick Google search found this, which I cannot see without glasses!

21. DreadPikathulhu

The 3D shorts are worth seeing once, but the effects aren't that good and the glasses gave me a horrible headache.

22. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Thanks ... Now it's stuck in my head again!!!!

MarkTheShark likes this.
  23. Michael

yes! fabulous and how much was it?

24. RockWizard

$20

25. Michael

fabulous!

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
Thread Status: