Tidal Audio Launches Lossless Streaming...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Supposedly 30 million tracks available.

3. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

I think it's great. Others don't.

4. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Im curious about this. I currently have a subscription to Spotify which I use to check out a lot of new stuff before I buy a physical copy. There seems to be a lot of competition out there now for streaming services. Anyone going to try this out?

http://exclaim.ca/Music/article/jay_z_launches_his_tidal_streaming_service

Well, that was fast. It's only been a couple of weeks since Jay Z's bid to buy Aspiro — the Scandinavian company which owns the streaming services Tidal and WiMP — was accepted, and today (March 30) he's relaunching his own version of Tidal.

Jay Z announced on Twitter that he has a "special announcement" planned for 5 p.m. eastern time. Tidal.com shows a clock ticking ticking down to that exact time. Meanwhile, Tidal has started a viral push in which various famous stars have turned their Twitter profile picture blue in support of the streaming service. Participants in this campaign include Kanye West, Beyonce, Third Man Records Usher, Rihanna, Madonna, Coldplay and more. See some of their tweets below.

The company's blurb as as follows: "Introducing the first music streaming service that combines the best High Fidelity sound quality, High Definition music videos and expertly Curated Editorial."

Tidal's Premium service costs $9.99 a month, while the loss HiFi service costs $19.99. They're available to test as a free 30 day trial. Unlike Spotify, it doesn't offer a free tier.

Go to Tidal.com to learn more.

5. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

I've had it for three weeks already. It's fantastic! I ditched my Spotify premium after one week of trial to Tidal. Even on my android phone with 100€ earbuds it sounds way better. I have the HIFI subscription wich is the only option over here for 19.99€/month.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  6. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Just tried the free month and like it so far. No gapless playback so far on the songs I have tried which is a bummer.

jkoponen likes this.
  7. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

Unless you're into 1890's Bulgarian hammered dulcimer acid punk it should be found on Tidal.

8. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

I wouldn't touch it.

Love Spotify, though.

9. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

It should support gapless playback soon.

10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm a loyal Spotify user, but before that I was a loyal Rhapsody user. The sound quality of Spotify won me over. I'll do a trial of Tidal and compare the two for a month. If it really is CD quality, $20 a month sounds pretty good to me.

11. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Spotify has stumped me a few times with some obscure searches but has the majority of what I look for. Wondering if the same can be said for Tidal?

12. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

With Spotify i primarily sampled albums and then bought them if they were any good. But Tidal SQ is good enough for serious listening.

mmars982 and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  13. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

It is definitely FULL CD quality. I have been using it since November. Many (more than 20) high end HiFi companies have partnered with Tidal (before the JayZ acquisition). My Linn DS player has an app which pulls the streams directly from Tidal's servers - in full CD resolution. The Tidal app on my iPhone allows me to download for offline listening in full CD quality.

Why would anyone put up with Spotify compressed music files when full resolution quality can be had for $20 a month.

jkoponen likes this.
  14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Because most people are cheap and don't do critical listening.

Spotify is a huge money loser. They have a huge subscription base, but it's mostly free users.

But I will say that when it comes to audiophile music, whether it's headphones (Beats) or streaming, the first thing I look for is a rapper's name attached. As it has been for at least a hundred years, that's your sign of quality.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  15. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

Exactamundo!

16. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

I don't even have to download. I can stream directly to my android with my 4g 50mb/s no transfer limit connection. :wiggle:
    In fact they claim at Tidal that a 2mb/s connection should do fine for getting a glitch free stream. I' not that convinced about that though.

17. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

I have saved untold amounts of money paying $20 a month. I used to easily spend $200 a month on music - sometimes more.

Before people want to keep on listening to compressed music tell them that $20 a month is the equivalent to their WEEKLY Starbucks bill for a lousy caffe latte

jerico and jkoponen like this.
  18. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I really wish"1890s Bulgarian hammered dulcimer acid punk" was a real genre of music!

19. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

It would sound good. :D Someone start a band. Cuz i ain't got the time. :-popcorn:

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Because it's free and people don't use it for critical listening.

21. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

This is so last week. Isn't there a new streaming service yet?

Malina, Peter Pyle and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  22. sans_matty

sans_matty Forum Resident

How about hammered dulcimer black metal about plants taking over the world? Because that's actually a thing. A good thing, at that.
    https://verdant-realm-botanist.bandcamp.com/

junk, mantis4tons and jkoponen like this.
  23. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

Too modern ;). Hell that's really interesting!

junk likes this.
  24. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

This is one of the first offering lossles streaming. One other being qoobuz.

25. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Only listened a little bit this afternoon, and I may already be sold. The difference in quality vs Spotify is pretty big.

I just saw this & if this article is true, this will really be a no-brainer:
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/30/tidal-hifi-music-streaming-price-cut/

I'm confused though, as Tidal already has a subscription option that costs the same as Spotify, with the same quality.

benjammin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.